Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1) How do I know if my track is worn out? It sort of reminds me of a knobby tire on a dirtbike.....so long as the case is not split etc you could call it 'useable'
but many replace a knobby tire once the 'square-ness' of the knobs are gone

2) Are tracks from all the 3 major brands (ArcticCat / Ski Doo / Polaris) interchangeable?

3) From what I can see, they used to come in 'standard' and 'long track' 121 X 15 and 136 X 15. Newer models have tracks of all different sizes
When did they stop making just two sizes of track?

4) Do tracks have a 'master link' like a chain or how do you change one?

·
Premium Member
1,122 Posts
Oh boy, lots of questions. 1, no master link on tracks, all one piece. 2, Vintage has standard sizes for the manufacture and models. All depends on the make and model. Some people fabricate newer suspensions and tracks in vintage to up grade them. 3, In vintage, which is this site, all brands of sleds can have different track sizes. Arctic cat for example, 70's Puma had a 106", El Tigre's had 116" etc. 4, If your track is not missing chunks of rubber, and the track is not extremely weather checked, you will be fine.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, i'm surprised they never standardized the size of tracks and made them with a master link device or something easy to remove....they probably would have sold millions more.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
More specifically, I have a '90 Prowler i'm pretty sure its a 121 X 15, any idea what brand/ years/models are interchangeable with mine?
Trying to find a nice new-ish track for that exact year and model can be tricky

·
Registered
11,558 Posts
That’s a pretty standard track with a 2.52 pitch and probably a .75” lug height.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
You're obviously very new to snowmobiles and snowmobiling. What's giving you the impression that you need to replace your track?
If you need one, finding that track won't be tricky at all. Do you want new or used? what's your budget on your rebuild? Almost any sled salvage yard will be able to help you out. Ebay would be another option. Swapping a track is pretty straight forward if you're mechanically inclined. There are lots of videos out there that will walk you through that process.

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
Where are you located?

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Wow, i'm surprised they never standardized the size of tracks and made them with a master link device or something easy to remove....they probably would have sold millions more.
The first tracks were a chain with wood slats bolted on. Then some rubber ones had small sections with rods running through to make different lengths that you could change. Like all bad ideas they fall away. Didnt sell that many. They did standardized tracks for a while now there are several different ones again

·
Premium Member
1,122 Posts
And don't forget the widths. 13", 15", 18", and if i remember correctly, the early Evinruds had a 20" track. Now a lot of the newer machines are back down to 13" again. Lol

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Can a snap a pic or two and ask for you (all of you) opinion on the wear mine has?

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Can a snap a pic or two and ask for you (all of you) opinion on the wear mine has?
Dont forget the inside if any drive lugs chunked out. The metal track clips clean and rust free is perfect. On old sled can be rusty and useable dont want any missing ones. Their replaceable one at a time if so

·
Premium Member
1,122 Posts
Well, in my opinion, there is a lot of life left in that track. As mentioned before, how does the inside lugs look? Any chunks missing from the inside lugs?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am a bit new to this, I did not know track had 'inside' lugs. Is that how the bogey wheel 'grip' the track and make traction?....lemme take a look

How do people wreck tracks and need to replace them? Or, is it just **** luck running into a jaggedd rock or something?

BTW: Not to be some kind of expert but there is a guy on here looking to add reverse to his 93...I just took my entire chain case off my 90 that has reverse last summer so I have some recent experience and gave him some pics and advice....otherwise my knowledge of sleds is a limited.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Can you hose and I mean soak the Shi# out of a track in the summer months with silicone and make it last longer?
Rubber LOVES silicone

·
Premium Member
1,122 Posts
Can you hose and I mean soak the Shi# out of a track in the summer months with silicone and make it last longer?
Rubber LOVES silicone
Sure you can. The inside rubber lugs run off the front driver. (front driver is the bottom shaft in the chain case) You will notice the driver fits between the inside lugs of the track.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Cool !
That is the absolute bowels of a sled, I have not yet ventured in that far yet

Just out of curiosity, whats the best way to get in there and service the track and anything under the drive tunnel?
Do you hang the sled by the skis from the ceiling?
Drain the gas, get rid of windshield, and flip it over on its back?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sleds are not terribly difficult to work on so much as 'fixturing' them in place and working on them
They are even trickier than motorcycles to work on from a physical access perspective
For example, when you pull the track out how do you hold everything in place?
To be perfectly honest, I have never been to a sled shop and seen how they work on them

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The 'Lid' and the pipe seem to be something that gets pulled out for even simple access to the battery....

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
How do people wreck tracks and need to replace them? Or, is it just **** luck running into a jaggedd rock or something?
Something like that if if you look from the side lots of things are skidding on the ground. If you spinning over certain kinds of rocks may rip a outside lug not that bad if you dont get into the track belt the flat part. See that stud in the track thats a hole with it in there get too close to the outside. Theres a lot of force when skidding a turn sometime they will rip out leaving a big hole or even ripping the belt to the outside. Now that will be a problem in the long haul.

Summer storage keep the track off the ground by blocking up off the rear bumper. dont want whats in in ground to soak into the track. Or certain surfaces will soak whats in the track into it.

You work on the track flipping the sled on the side The suspension and track will swing out if you unbolt the back first. If you take it all the way out, Put back together put the front in first. I usually just jack the rear to different heights both skis on the ground to do suspension work. Have to lay on the ground though and need small floor jack to put everything in position no lifting at all

1 - 20 of 22 Posts