Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was getting everything greased up and keeping everything ready to go, since we finally have snow.
Noticed a big dent in my rear shock on my 95 Wildcat. Figures. one more thing to replace this summer.

But then I noticed the innermost lugs on the track were worn / chipped out. The rest look good but the inner most looked pretty ripped up. What could cause this? How bad is it?

I just had the dealer replace the drive bearings last month and since then I and the dealer noticed a low speed vibration. The dealer thought it must just be the picks and couldn't find a problem anywhere...
I can't say for sure the inner lugs weren't like that before I took the sled in though.. But pre-dealer, there was no vibration. I also tightened up the track some tonite as it seemed a bit sloppy for my liking.

Anyone have any thoughts? Let me know! Thanks to all!!

Attachments

·
Registered
274 Posts
Check your skid over real well. Looks to me like maybe a bolt that goes between the two sliderails (like the one your shocks are mounted to) may have loosened up and egged the mounting holes in the sliderails. This may cause end of the shock to "bottom out" on your track and hit those lugs on the inside of the track.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice, I'll check it out. Like I said, Dealer was the last one under there so if there's a problem, they'll be the first to hear about it.....

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
anyone else have any thoughts? think i'm still safe to ride?
doesn't look like it should impact the drivers much...since the rest of the lugs are good.

need to find out what caused / is causing it tho....

·
Registered
41 Posts
I just discovered the same problem with mine after replacing all the wheels. My axle the lower spring mount is moumted to was egged slightly, I remember. It's all covered with snow right now but going to look at it in the shop tomorrow night. I'll let you know what I find.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool Sooer

Let me know what you find. I just looked under the ride and didnt' see anythign, I should go check the lower spring mount you were talking about.

I'll do that later tonite.
Let me know what you find tho!
Thanks man!

·
Registered
92 Posts
I did the same thing to my track, only one strip though. Didn't really affect anything, but you got more ripped off than me. If it gets bad, just cut out the windows, put clips in them then get extrovert drivers. Or just get a new track. Mine was caused my the remote rezzie on the shock hitting the track when I bottomed out. I'd look to see if anything's hitting the track.

·
Registered
624 Posts
This looks EXACTLY how my 1998 Cougar looked after the coil spring under the tunnel unhooked on a ride once. How this happened, I have no clue! We got back from a truly slow ride, as my buddy was breakin in a brand new ZR500. Never went over 50 and only put on about 60 miles. Anyhow, for unknown reason, the little plastic block that holds the coiled spring to the lower tunnel let the spring come out of the block. Then the short end of the srping up inside the tunnel dropped off it's retaining block and dug into the track. My sled wasn't studded, but I rode it that way for three years before finding a new one on ebay at a price I was willing to pay-real cheap!! I would run it and enjoy yourself. I did this with around 1400 on my sled and just swapped it out at around 3200 before winter of 2005. I wonder if somehow the mechanic dude ran the track with these springs unhooked. If it wasn't this way when you dropped it off and is before you run it, they would owe you a new track. With studs, if yours is studded.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Check your drive sprokets!!! I have a simaler wear pattern on the outside of my track, I couldnt see what was causing it. I started to take a closer look & seen that my two outside sprokets were not pressed in the right spot, not in far enough, so the cog was only catching on less the half of itself & caused the track damage, also hurt the sprokets. My track will be fine, at least for this season, but I now need to replace my sprokets. This is how I discoved I have a titainium drive shaft. Its worth a look.

Just my 2 cents!!!

·
Registered
274 Posts
To all of the above who have posted...

There are repair kits available for the egged holes in your sliderails. Just did a repair kit on my ZR.

Call on John at Blizzard products. He's very helpful and familiar with this problem.

The kit is $69.95 and the best of the options you guys have.

Yeah you can get it welded but it's gonna egg again.

New sliderails are expensive and time consuming by the time you tear your skid down to nothing.

The kit is a simple, relatively inexpensive and effective fix.

There is also a kit available at Fett Bros. for the same price.

Good luck!

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks to everyone for all the information.

I looked under the tunnel last night, and I didn't see anything. I noticed the rear shock absorber top seems to be contacting the center of the track and causing some wear but thats about it.

The springs all appear to be anchored and everything so I give up.

I am planning to contact the dealer today and get their thoughts...

·
Registered
93 Posts
from the rear track shock, theres a pivot arms that is bolted on as part of the cross shaft. If it was put in with the arm down, not up.... it will bend your shock and eat your track. Same thing happend to me, ill try to find a picture and show you what i mean, its hard to explain.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey Thanks SteveR.

I'll check it out, may explain the new dent in my shock absorber also.
I'll check it out tonite, I would really HOPE the dealer wouldn't do that.....
but we shall see, stuff happens.

·
Registered
93 Posts
yeah ive put my skid in a million times, and this one time i forgot to check to make sure it was in the right spot... and it wasnt :( ate my brand new track up, and bend my shock rod. and both stiffening rods. What you should do is take a pic before you take it apart, on how your pivot arm looks with the shock hooked up. Get someone to sit down and push on the sled and watch the shock... see what its hitting.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey Steve R.
Took a pic of that rear arm that connects to the lower rear shock. I can't tell if its orientated correctly or not per your previous posts. Check out the pic and let me know.

I'll send you PM also..

I tightened up the track and it GREATLY reduced the vibration I'd feel but when hitting bumps, I can still feel it.

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
Mine was just like Bman said, lower shock bracket flipped down instead of up! Thanks guys! I think yours looks correct, Steve R.

·
Registered
41 Posts
No!... I lied.....Yours is flipped down too. Just pull that axle ( with weight off of track) Flip it up and reinstall axle. Took me about 5 minutes.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SteveR @ Jan 25 2007, 11:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
from the rear track shock, theres a pivot arms that is bolted on as part of the cross shaft. If it was put in with the arm down, not up.... it will bend your shock and eat your track. Same thing happend to me, ill try to find a picture and show you what i mean, its hard to explain.[/b]

Ding Ding Ding,

I did the same thing on my Pantera. When the suspension is being put in it can flip past center and rub.

Good Call.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So (looking at my pic) do i just rotate the bracket counter clockwise or do i physically remove the bracket and flop it so the fingers are pointing up? Tek makes is sound like i just rotate it counterclockwise. so the shock is aimed above the axle and not below the axle......?

Little confused.
thanks!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts