Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently picked the track in my 2006 ZR 900 snopro. It has a 1.375 inch track. Do I need to worry about the front heat exchanger or the tunnel. When I elevate the sled and rotate the track the studs clear everything. Will the clearance tolerance tighten up much when the srack spins at high speed? All the studs (186) are in the middle of the track and stand 3/8 inch higher than the lug height

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
If you already have a 1.375 track and your studs are 3/8ths of an inch higher then that, I would say you will have some serious problems the first hard bottom hit you take. That would be a total of 1- 3/4" total height. That would be close. Ron.

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
I would not listen to what the guy on Hard Core Sledders told you, its gonna be more then snug. I saw a guy back in the 96 Polaris Storm days cut his tunnel in half with to tall of studs. We tried to tell him. Ron.

·
Premium Member
2,057 Posts
For what it's worth, I totally agree with the man from Omer..... nothing I have researched would agree that a stud that tall would work..... for long...

·
Registered
62 Posts
I agree with all responses... Its like putting to big of tires on your truck without raising it. It won't hit all the time but when it does look out! Another big bill.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the opinions. I'm really unsure of what to do as I am getting a lot of mixed feedback. They are warthog xzp carbide tipped model C85. I used single aluminum backers and tall aluminum nylock nuts. I asked the dealer that I bought the sled from and he said it would be ok. This morning I called another Cat dealer in Maine and asked him. He said to keep the track tight and it would be ok. Is there a Cat tech on this site that is familiar with the ZR 900 tunnel and the 1.375" track on the sno pro model? Is a 1.75" stud too tall? I hate to pull all these studs out as they were expensive and a lot of work to install. Sled has zero miles on it so I really don't want to ruin it.

Thanks.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I own 05ZR900 S/P with the 1.375 lug my stud length is 1.520 with an overall length of 1.750(192).Im using the tall round plastic backers,and Ive got some scratches on my front heat exchanger,not a big deal.I just put a new track on this fall(5900 miles on oringnal track) o/e track same stud length.And this time i only studded the middle of track (192)because i lost some studs on the outer edges(ripped right out), a couple of them got thrown so hard it put a couple of small holes in the side of tunnel.

Attachments

·
Registered
256 Posts
most people say to run .125-.250 longer then track. i think .250 is pushing it and will be doing alot of bending and flexing . since the deeper the lug the more the lug will bend. if your running an 1.375 track i would not go more then around 1.500" stud

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2005 ZR900 sp with 144 1.520 woody's carbide studs with aluminum square backers and long nuts on it. No problems with clearance, it's close but no signs of contact with heat exchangers and have about 900 miles on so far with them.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I put the first 140 miles on the sled this past weekend and so far no problem with the studs. Kept it pretty slow...under 50 for the first 100 miles then ran it up toward 90 a few times...only for a few seconds. The front heat exchanger doesn't show any evidence of contact with the studs.

I expect the track to stretch a bit as I get some miles on it so I'll check the track tension before I go out again.

So far so good.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts