Registered
9,933 Posts
Is there broken cog inside the track?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanx for reply!
No, and that was my first guess too. But no damage is visible on the track..
I have also checked for loose shafts and straps, but all is good. Most strange..

·
Registered
126 Posts
see the snow bouncing up when the knocking cycles, almost as if the track is out of balance but not sure how that would happen unless you pulled a bunch of studs out.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, I agree regarding the balance idea! But the track is quite good, and no visible damage. But it has to do something with the extra weight from the snow inside the tunnel. Because when the tunnel is "clean", no knocking is heard or felt. This is driving me nuts :-(

·
Registered
9,933 Posts
Depending on snow conditions and temperature you can get ice chunks on top of track. I get it in my T660 Turbo Touring. I back up and most times the chunks come out. Odd time I’ll have to break them up first.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Long shot but is track tension good? If too much slack could cause a noise, but you would think the weight of the snow could make it better.

·
Registered
9,933 Posts
It looks like the rubber has separated off the fibre. I’m sure you peeled some away too. I doubt you’ll find anything for a permanent and lasting fix. If the fibres are coming apart or have that crack you mentioned, it’s time for a new track. Probably not the answer you want!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hmmm..I will spend my last 50cents trying to get some cold vulkanizing stuff. But I agree, most probably its $1200 out of window:-((

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well. I have finally got this as my best shot:

Its in order and within next week I'll have the answer.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So what happened was:
When the front track wheel run over the ice bulb in the track, the track was getting more tension. This result in an upwards movement where the track is having most slack; That is in the bottom middle. This movement got the ice to jump. And more ice on the track, the more knocking sound was heard, because of more tension.

·
Registered
9,933 Posts
I guess it's worth a try. Are you removing the skid for better access? Or are you removing track completely?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It seems possible just to remove the (what do you call it) "last end of the skids". Then I will get access.

·
Registered
9,933 Posts
Well we call the shock, arms, idler wheels and slide rails assembly a "skid". Each aluminum rail is called a slide rail from Cat. Are you thinking of just removing the articulating section at rear?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Project finished. Eli-Flex saved me $1500 :) . Just cutted away loosen rubber from track, put on Eli-Flex, waited 2 hours and viola!

·
Registered
9,933 Posts
Good to hear!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts