Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 2020 Stampede and have a question about when I transport it on my trailer.

Do you trailer it in Neutral or in Park? I've heard pros and cons to both, but I wanted to know what's best for the Stampede and its CVT. Some even say to transport it in AWD.

Also, has anyone used this device? Basically, it allows you to depress the Stampede's brake and lock it into place. Since the stampede doesn't have a parking brake, it functions as a parking brake for extra safety when parking on hills or for when transporting on a trailer?

Thanks for any input....

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Trailer it in park. Use 4 straps, 1 in each corner. Tighten each to just put a small amount of tension on the suspension.
I park my ATV with the front wheels against the trailer front rail.
You mentioned the CVT... the CVT has no function when the machine isnt running and spinning rpm's.

·
Administrator
37,459 Posts
I never tie down the suspension. You hit a bump and it moves causing a strap to possibly come loose. I tie down to the rims.

Reactions: Wallamatogus

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
I second the NOT tying down on suspension, you want to tie down on the frame
and if NOT the frame, invest in some good wheel straps
if one wishes to pull some slack out of suspension that's fine, but it shouldn't be used to secure a load to a trailer,
you can as stated above have movement that will apply loads more stress to a strap when things compress and then come back, straps are NOT made to handle this, nor or chains
there designed for constant load , not sudden shock to them!

as for what gear to be in, PARK< and E brake on, would be what I would use, this way if a strap ever failed the machine would still have brakes on and trans be in a gear that shouldn;t allow movement!

and I agree on using 4 straps, cross crossed, this will keep things from shifting while on bouncy roads! and make sure what ever straps your using are rated for correct load and working holding limit, and in GOOD condition, straps do wear out over time, from exposure to UV and other weather elements!

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
So I feel y'all are twisting my words... I didn't say tie to the suspension. I said, "Use 4 straps, 1 in each corner. Tighten each to just put a small amount of tension on the suspension." <<<this would be the same as tieing to the frame cause once you tighten the straps your going to load the suspension a bit...

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
So I feel y'all are twisting my words... I didn't say tie to the suspension. I said, "Use 4 straps, 1 in each corner. Tighten each to just put a small amount of tension on the suspension." <<<this would be the same as tieing to the frame cause once you tighten the straps your going to load the suspension a bit...
I can agree and dis agree(and NO bash meant here or the likes)
BUT,
there is a difference in attaching a strap to say a rack to pull a LITTLE on the suspension
and then pulling on the FRAME to pull the suspension down some .

when attached to say a RACK< still have a LOT of travel in your shocks, and as the trailer and vehicle bounces, there can be SLACK to develop in things(and if you pull down far enough to NOT have any, your adding a lot of pressure to your socks over long periods of time it can even damage them)
BUT when you attach to the FRAME and torque down, there will NOT be the same amount of GIVE in things
shocks and suspensions are MADE to compress as they encounter bounces
you will never compress your shocks by pulling on the frame, the same way you will when you pull from a higher place and WORK the suspension system!

SO< yes and NO
a lot of folks don;t strap things down right and get away with it, doesn't mean its the correct way to do it!! and I have seen truckers and others load things WRONG countless times
I even know a few personally that REFUSE to learn the right way, claiming TOO busy to learn!
(one still cannot figure out how the correct way to thread a ratchet strap LOL
trucking for 25 yrs now too??
Its crazy how he fights with straps every single time he uses them, and WON"T take a few minutes to learn>>
Stubborn as can be>?? its fun to fire him up when watching too , a few choice words and BOOM<
he goes from zero to 1,000 real fast when you laugh at the tangles and struggles he has with straps ! HAHA!

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
So now we're getting into a discussion similar to the oil discussion.. lol
But there is no difference between tieing to the rack or the frame. Both will load the suspension the same.
To ensure no suspension travel one must tie or strap down the wheels/rims.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
So now we're getting into a discussion similar to the oil discussion.. lol
But there is no difference between tieing to the rack or the frame. Both will load the suspension the same.
To ensure no suspension travel one must tie or strap down the wheels/rims.
HAHA< and I mean this again in a LITE minded way, no bash, just offering information,!

BUT there is a BIG difference in the tying down on a rack to a FRAME
the bolts that hold a rack to the atv are small and CAN sheer OFF with a sudden load being put on them or just HIGH amounts of stress
ever look at the weight ratings on a rack, there not made to hold down the weight of the ATV/SXS!
so, its NOT a oil debate like issue here, its about safety!
and well strength of what your tying onto in the first place! which matters in being a secure safe load!

and again, there is a difference in PULLING down the suspension from a HIGH point like a rack, as to the frame,
say your atv has 10-12 inches of suspension travel
when you PULL from the rack to take out the slack /sag in things, you can again be adding a NON stop pressure to the shocks, and you will need to pull even father down to secure a machine?

when you attach to the frame, your NOT pulling, or compressing the suspension to the same degree or amount to secure things! as a fact the atv can still move on its suspension, NO load on shocks

every see dirt bike(MX riders) how they used to apply a block of wood in between tire and fender, so your NOT placing long time periods of compression on the shocks
if your PAYING for high end shock, why risk causing damage to them by compressing them more than needed when towing things!

as I said, MANY folks do as you do perfectly fine and never have an issue, but that doesn;t change the fact there is more risks in how your doing it as to attaching to frame, and or using actual tire straps or locks! to secure it down!
bolts can sheer off racks again, there small dia and NOT made to hold large amounts of weight period!
I would also imagine that MOST owners manuals will even show in them proper way to secure things and the racks are never used in any I ever seen for this reason!
most typically show tying off using, foot pegs, frame or if solid axles, axles!

like they say, some folks win the lottery, but that doens;t mean everyone who buys a ticket will every time!

so just cause it never went bad doesn;t mean it won't!

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
This, like USE MY OIL IT"S THE BEST, can go on and on and on and already has gone on too long! 😊 We obviously disagree and that is okay.. Because I know that tieing to a rack and tieing to the frame puts the same stress on the suspension! 🤗 And yes I do agree that tieing to a rack isnt smart at all.

I tie to the front eyelet (attached to the frame) and to 2 points on the rear also attached to the frame... all 3 points when tightened compress the suspension no matter how tight (a little or alot). :giggle: Tires, rims, knuckles would be the only places if a strap was attached wouldn't stress the suspension. Even the A-arms if used could stress the suspension dependent on where the strap was attached.

In the end it's a great idea for the OP to read and learn from all the inputs and replies and determine the best method that works for him!

I'll let you get the last word mrbb..(y) :) I've said enough... Cheers

Reactions: mrbb
1 - 11 of 11 Posts