Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does any know what the cylinder head should be torqued down to on a '98 ZR/ZL 500 ?

Also what should the cylinder be torqued down to also ?

Thankyou

·
Registered
71 Posts
99 ZR 600 is:

tighten head bolts in 3 steps to 20 ft lbs

then

tighten cylinder base nuts in 3 steps to 43 ft lbs

Not sure if that helps but yours should be close to that. If you have a two piece head, you probably don't have to do the head first.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the help !

I have the same head that is on your machine - 1 piece head.

Do you have to torque the head down first, then the cylinder second ?

Also did you do a top end rebuild on yours?

I replaced the stock base gasket- 2 stacked on top of each other.

Now arctic cat said to use just one gasket.

I am just wondering what you used , 1 or 2 base gaskets ?

·
Registered
71 Posts
I rebuilt mine last night. New SPI pistons with a used head and jug. You're supposed to torque the head first, then the cylinder. It's a bitch though. The inside/rear cylinder bolts are almost impossible to get to. I pretty much just made them tight as there was no way of getting a torque wrench on them. I used the single layer gasket. It's what my dealer sold me and I didn't know about the double until I pulled my jugs off. The thing runs fine with 135 psi compression. We'll see how it holds up.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gixxer @ Jan 24 2007, 09:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Thanks for the help !

I have the same head that is on your machine - 1 piece head.

Do you have to torque the head down first, then the cylinder second ?

Also did you do a top end rebuild on yours?

I replaced the stock base gasket- 2 stacked on top of each other.

Now arctic cat said to use just one gasket.

I am just wondering what you used , 1 or 2 base gaskets ?[/b]

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When you put on the base gasket, did you make sure to put the raised portion of the gasket up ?

I don't think it really matters, but its printed in the cat service manual to put the raised portion of the gasket facing up towards the head.

Have you been running regular 87 octane fuel or higher octane fuel thru the motor after the rebuild ?

Did the dealer say anything to you about why they are using the single gasket as opposed to the 2 original style gaskets ?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Yes, I put the raised portion up. I knew I had read it somewhere, but couldn't find it when we were putting it together. I'm running 87 in mine. I don't see any need for higher octane. The dealer never mentioned the difference in gaskets.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gixxer @ Jan 24 2007, 11:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
When you put on the base gasket, did you make sure to put the raised portion of the gasket up ?

I don't think it really matters, but its printed in the cat service manual to put the raised portion of the gasket facing up towards the head.

Have you been running regular 87 octane fuel or higher octane fuel thru the motor after the rebuild ?

Did the dealer say anything to you about why they are using the single gasket as opposed to the 2 original style gaskets ?[/b]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts