Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to start off stating I am new to your forums and am very impressed with the amazing number of skilled AC ATV enthusiasts posts I have read through the last few days.

I ran into an issue with a torn boot on my rear driveshaft (SRA). I haven't gotten any repair manuals yet for this ATV but have reviewed the parts lists to see what I'm up against. I have also read the <amazing!> posts about how to change the cv boots for the front end (and guess the same/similar for rear IRS).

It looks like I have to disengage it from the rear diff first so I can slide it out to repair. If anyone can point me in the right direction as to order of attack to make the job easier for me I'd greatly appreciate it.

I have added a 2" lift so I know that the angle has changed, but am going to obtain a boot with more ribs to see if that helps. I'm also going to try and determine if the driveshaft is rubbing the boot on the inside when the rear-end is fully extended. I know that if that is the case a longer boot (with more ribs) won't do jack and I'll be forced to remove the lift or attempt some creative alternative.

I am also throwing a post on the lift kits manufacturer's forum to see what other's have encountered and/or what they have done to eliminate such issues.

Here is a pic of what I'm dealing with:

[attachment=75328:AC500_to...__Small_.jpg]

Any and all comments appreciated!

Thanks in advance!!

Attachments

·
Registered
474 Posts
I have the same rear end in my bike. I haven't torn that CV boot yet, but I have had the rear end out of it to change the pinion seal and bearing. It's really easy to get out of there. You'll have to take the bottom shock bolts out, and tie the shocks up out of the way. Then take all the swing arms off the rear axle. All that's left is the brake lines holding it in there. When you unbolt the coupling at the back of the motor, you'll be able to slide the pinion shaft right out. Should be easy to change the boot from the pinion side.

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
While I haven't done that project yet, I would venture to say that it might make your life easier if you remove the CV Axles from the diffy as well. Just a thought....but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
[Bluethumb]
Excellent! That's really what I wanted to hear...I'll tear it down in the next week and hunt for a boot or bring it to a local axle shop.

[Sanny651]
Fortunately I don't have to worry about the CVs in the rear as my year (2002) is running a straight axle. One (well 2!) less things to jack with!

Thanks for the replies! I'll post an update as soon as I have one.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, actually kind of sad, but am finally getting to this!
I'm looking for some advice/guidance as to the "correct" way to remove this secondary drive "housing". This is the part that connects the rear motor shaft to the rear diff in my '02 AC500 Auto. I have it removed and initially thought that it was a typical CV joint, but the rear/backside of the part (or the very front depending upon reference point) has a seal on it that looks to be pressed on. Here are some pics of what exactly I'm trying to convey here:

[attachment=78444:pA140148.JPG]
[attachment=78445:pA140149.JPG]

I've tried to knock the shaft thru the back to possibly pop the seal out, but haven't really popped it yet as I'd like to get some reassurance that this is the correct method.

Any ideas?

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I spoke to an AC service dept and they stated these parts are pressed on. I don't have a press (nor know someone with one I can access currently) so I am going to attempt running some 10" bolts through the mounting holes and run through to a piece of 2x4 and then torque down on 'em using the 2x4 to push the shaft through to pop the seal. I'll let y'all know how it goes...

·
Registered
125 Posts
So I spoke to an AC service dept and they stated these parts are pressed on. I don't have a press (nor know someone with one I can access currently) so I am going to attempt running some 10" bolts through the mounting holes and run through to a piece of 2x4 and then torque down on 'em using the 2x4 to push the shaft through to pop the seal. I'll let y'all know how it goes...
Its been 8 years. Any updates on how that went yet? :)

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Holy old thread.

I guess my question is why did he want to take it apart in the first place. It was broken down far enough to clean, repack, and install the new boot- which was as far as he needed to go. I don't know.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Oldie!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Its been 8 years. Any updates on how that went yet? :)
I'm 99% sure to get the cv propeller off you pop the cover plate off the shaft and there is a c-clip to remove the joint slide new boot on with new clamps and done, if you drive a jeep grand cherokee or a dodge pick up 4x4 it's the same thing

1 - 10 of 10 Posts