Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a new 06 700 and was wondering what all the fuss is about on here, about snorkeling it or not. I have been in water almost 2 feet deep and the belt housing is always bone dry. How deep of water are people having trouble with? Is there a way to add some type of snorkel that can be hidden. I really don't like the look of one.

·
Registered
170 Posts
my personal opinion is that i would not snorkle. I love the ability that snorkles give you, but I am very hesitant beacuse the machines were not designed for it. Then once you are snorkled you need to waterproof everything else and the you get depper and deeper an deeper untill something happens that cost $$$. Guys I am absolutly not trying to start anything whats so ever, again I LOVE the ability they give you and they just add so much more to your quad. I guess I am just scared of the ol cause and effect saying.
If i were not such a wuss I would snorkle but fore now I like to play it safe..........

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
well it's like this............. here's about 4 ft of water,

can you idle in that lol...

those of us that are snorkeled have done so for a reason..... because we know we do things that the bike was not intended to do. i guess we like to push the limits.

i.e. being a good neighbor and towing a car from flooded waters!!!!!

i don't know if i speak for anyone else on here, but i have my bike snorkeled cause i believe it will keep my motor oil free of water and i happen to like to play in "racks deep" water

so if you feel that 2ft of water.. a.k.a. a kiddy pool is enough for you, then there is no need to snorkel your whip.

p.s. don't take offense to anything i say... it's just me being me lol ;)

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
tak, i forgot to ask.. how do you like the 700? does it ever give you any problems on a cold start? just wondering. sometimes mine takes a bit to fire or it will fire and die on me

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I love it so far. I got 25" Mudlites on it(dealer recommended). I haven't noticed any real bottom end lag but it is such a jump from my 400 Honda auto. I was out on the weekend -10 C(I guess around 5 F) and started up like it did when I picked it up from the dealer.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
that's good to hear.

25's shouldn't bog that motor in the least.. !!!!!!!ENJOY THE BIKE BRO!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I snorkeled mine and we barley have water here in Montana. I just like the looks of them. I did swamp mine and If i have to be honest this is why I put snorkes on mine.

[attachment=61702:pentex_photos_162.jpg]

Attachments

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Not a must for everyone, but a definite requirement for my style of riding! The third version was the keeper for me

GG :chug:

Attachments

·
Registered
454 Posts
Yeah min was for the oh Sh!! factor. A buddy and I are alway one uping each other. Your turn to go in first. So I got the snorkels so just in case I hit something really deep I won't have to worry about it.

·
Registered
445 Posts
can you snorkle your quad without doing any other mods or does one mod depend on the other?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Loners, if you use 1 1/2" you won't have to, but with 2" snorkels you might have to re-jet the carb.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I'd like to snorkle just for the safety factor. Im not too keen about jetting ( i know nothing about it). Sometimes liquid courage takes me to places that are not intended for a stock machine.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Step up and snorkel it. Doesn't cost a lot and is worth the peace of mind. IMO I wish I could have snorkeled my '05 400, but the location of the air box didn't make it worth while.

I have full use of my front rack with my snorkels. I have recently added a large plastic front mounted box on the front of my and the snorkels to no interfere.

One days worth of work = peace of mind.

Attachments

·
Registered
434 Posts
Loners when i snorkled my 500 i actually have close friend who is a cat tech and they were telling me you could use 2" as long as you do not go over 6" high you will not need to rejett.But hey for piece of mind Loners all i can suggest is do it then check you plugs.When i snorkled mine yeah it looks cool but you loose alot of you rack even when you come thru your rad door. so my suggestion is if you are not down south where those guys actually use theirs alot i personally would not do it.I actually hated mine after i did it.But i did mine for the reason of hey it looks cool.Make sure you would need it first.The new bike will not be snorkled.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
My friend has a new 700 and the problem with it is the exhaust for the belt is very low, it is mounted at the side of the fuel tank. Over the tires and it can take on water, so if youre not going to snorkle stay below the the top of the tires.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Frontiercat I like the way your machine looks If I had to do mine over I would do it like yours. Good Job.

·
Registered
5,165 Posts
snorkel it its safer that way :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts