Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really need to improve the handling of my 06 500. I have been torn between which will make the most diference, a sway bar or tires. My biggest complant is the turning. It seems like every time I turn hard it just pushes the front tires along and needs way more room than it should to turn. This happens even at really slow speeds like when I am trying to turn around on a trail and go back the other way.

If this problem was solved I think it would have a turning radius that was the same as any other quad in its class. My question is which will make the most improvemnet tires or a sway bar? I have heard both will fix it but I can't afford to do both. I would like to get more use out of my tires and just buy the sway bar, but I dont know which on will make the most improvement.

Those of you with the sway bar how much did it fix the front tires getting pushed around and did you notice that it improved the turning radius?

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
I don't think you're going to tighten up the turning radius that much with either. New tires made a world of difference, but this is a big quad you're talking about.
JD

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
I am not sure the that swaybar will impact the pushing sensation as much as the tires will. I changed the stockers on my V2 as well as my H1, and the change is night and day. It turns easier, handles better, feels better and has better traction.

However, if you wanna keep your stockers you could buy the swaybar and try it out. If it doesn't do the trick for ya, someone on here would buy it from ya.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
If you're wanting to get rid of the 'push', I think getting rid of the soft sidewalled stockers is your best option...could also try upping the poundage in the front tires, but that would provide limited help.

New rubber is going to do more for you than just improve the turning, it will also improve overall handling, ease of steering, and of course traction.

Sanny made a good point though, try the swaybar and if it doesn't help put it up on here and someone will take it off your hands.

·
Registered
140 Posts
sway bar isn't going to get you outta a mean mudhole

·
Premium Member
767 Posts
I have both the swaybar and new tires and the new tires made the biggest difference at slow speeds in ease of turning. Before with my stockers on tar I would skid the front tires, now it just turns making the same turn. Now that said the best thing to do for yourself is to buy both as both will make a hell of difference in turns at different speeds. The swaybar is usually on ebay for $116 I believe with free shipping.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Get the sway bar kit! They are a huge improvement in the handling department. I got mine on ebay too.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think I will get the sway bar kit first and see how it does. It is cheaper and I can always sell it if it dosen't do what I want it to. I have searched on these forms quite a bit on the sway bar and I have found posts made by people that have instlled one saying that it did improve the front tire pushing quite a bit and that the rest could be fixed by new tires.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
If it does work, you will only be masking the problem.
The sidewalls are to soft and they tend to roll over the rim. Airing them up helps a little, I ran 9lbs when I had mine on.

If it were me and I had money for tires, It would be tires first. You get 2 improvements, A better tire and better handling.

Tires are the best improvement you can make on any quad IMO. Not knocking the sway bar, I will get one to when all my other crap goes on. Just, there's not much you can do for poor tires.

Later
Molsondrinkr

·
Registered
96 Posts
I would think the tires would be the best fix if you are choosing between the two. Like was said before, bad tires will push with or without a swaybar kit. Even though the swaybar is cheaper than a new set of tires, you will be needing the tires anyway it sounds like. Also the main purpose of the swaybar is to counteract sway (body roll caused by IRS), not make the front end grip better. (even though it will do this as a side benefit).

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I say buy the aftermarket tires and don't look back..lol..

·
Premium Member
2,508 Posts
i hated when my bike would push like that so i ditched the stockers and went with the mudlites and i dont have that problem any more.. like most i say tires

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Which tires would you all recomend. I am on a budget and was thinking if I sell my stock tires it would about the same cost as a sway bar. I was thinking about getting a set of ITP Mudlite XL's in 25x8 for the front and 25x10 in the rear. I can get them on ebay for $244 shipped. Would these be good enough tires to stop the front from sliding around while turning?

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
I got 26" Mudlites and they make a world of difference over the stock rubber,I think your best bet would be to replace the stock rubber. just my $.02.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts