Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a set of 27" XTRs rollin on 14" SS 112 ITP rims. the two on the right side of the bike are running perfect, the 2 on the left side are wobbling like crazy. the rims are fine and straight, just the tires themselves. higher speeds and turning right is the worst, just about shakes me right off. i got them through my AC dealer and they tell me that all big wheel kits wobble like this. now i cant see this being true as that wouldnt say much for the aftermarket companies. so i called another dealer in my area and the guy told me that the radials (which these are) shouldnt wobble at all and that he has a set up exactly like me and his are all perfect. Has anybody else heard of this wobbling or has experience with your own tires?? my dealer wont do anything about it and im not too happy paying that much for a set of wobbly tires. rant and question over.

·
Premium Member
15,413 Posts
I have the 9" 27x14 XTRs front & rear.

I can't say mine had a wobble, but they definitley had a significant vibration to them from roughly 45-50 mph and up.

I balanced the wheels. Now they're a lot better. Made a huge improvement in high speed vibration, but still not as 'balanced' as the stockers were.

It's a worthwhile trade-off for me becuase the stock GoodYear M/TR tires were far from great. The rears were OK, but the fronts were too small and had a tendency to climb ruts.

So after balancing the XTRs, there is a little vibe there, but the handling these tires provide on the trail (compared to stockers) is worth it.

If you have a static balancer, it should to the trick. If not, take your wheels to a tire shop and have them balance as close as possible.

If you ever plan on using any Tire Slime types of product, be sure to balance your tires first!

:chug:

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
call itp it could be a bad tire. they have realy good customer service

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
make sure that the bead is properly seated both on the outside and inside of the rim.... then i would go the bad tire route... have you tried to swap the lefts and the rights real quick to eliminate any mechanical problems with the quad... my XTR's are VERY smooth. NO hop,howl or wobble.. i did have a problem when my rear shock bushings went bad, the the whee would wobble a bit when over 50MPH... but thats fixed now..

·
Administrator
7,989 Posts
The wobble you have is it left to right or up and down?
My XTR 26's bounced up and down, just the right front did it. I used a belt sander layed on the floor and spun the tire on the quad and jacked up, slowly and removed the 2 high spots. It worked very well, the quad runs smooth at all speeds now.
If you have a left to right wobble, I would look at the bead first, maybe un-mount them and re- mount them again. If they came mounted from the dealer, return them. You dont have to pay for defective stuff. imo

·
Registered
410 Posts
I had a wobble on my left rear 28" mudlites-i had a lug nut that was stripped. THe bolt was fine after replacing it, the wobble seemed to go away. My buddy has 30" mudlites on his cat-no wobbles.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
With a radial, it could also be a belt has seperated inside the tire. I am going through this with my wifes suv actually. It wobbles terrible at low speed. Getting new tires next week.

Check the bead first, like everyone said. Then I would also call ITP.

Later
Molsondrinkr

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah the wobble i have is from left to right, about a half inch sideways motion, maybe more. i have broken the bead and re-seated them, but never thought to give them a half turn on the rim, might try that next. these rims originally had terra cross tires on them but i wanted the xtr's so my dealer swapped the tires in house. they still refuse to do anything about it and keep giving me the line about how all big wheel kits wobble. next step after playing with the tire a bit more myslef is to go straight to itp. thanks for all the help guys

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
I have 26" XTR's and they don't wobble one bit down the road

·
Registered
111 Posts
I also have the SS112 14 inch rims wrapped with 27" XTR's, and even at top end, mine dont wobble. Better call ITP!
Good luck......let us know how that goes for you!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well i got a random call from my dealer yesterday. said that the itp rep was in and they talked with him about my situation. the rep said that they dont normally warranty tires like that but if its a concern that i can have mine replaced at no cost to me. so in about a week i should have good rubber to roll on. hopefully they are smooth riding this time.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, got my 2 new tires slapped on. rides smooth again. what a difference, its a much more enjoyable riding machine again. and the grip these tire have, wow. in 4WD Lo when i punch it, it'll [email protected] near yank my arms off. but i want more, maybe CDI box? jet kit? maybe....

·
Premium Member
767 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mr. X @ May 17 2007, 02:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Well, got my 2 new tires slapped on. rides smooth again. what a difference, its a much more enjoyable riding machine again. and the grip these tire have, wow. in 4WD Lo when i punch it, it'll [email protected] near yank my arms off. but i want more, maybe CDI box? jet kit? maybe....[/b]
Well if you decide on the dyntek cdi , the 06 650v2 takes a new updated model that as far as I know can only come from dynatek . I would call them and see if anyone carries the arctic cat 05/06 650v2 model/year specific cdi. I believe their around $200 . Another option is the VDI cdi which from what the guys say is pretty awesome because you can program it , but its close to $400. Both will add alot of low end and upper range power with other nice features besides. Some have chosen the moose module which just gives low end and thats it but the cost is $75- $100 depending where you get it. I personally have the 06 650v2 and have the new updated dynatek and its great for added power, it deletes any belt errors, love it.

·
Administrator
7,989 Posts
Very happy to hear that they took care of you.
Sometimes paying with a credit card helps ya, if your not happy with the purchase, you can have the credit card company dispute it for ya. I dont know if you used a credit card, but it has helped me with getting refunds on certain purchases..........tigger

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the info guys. Tigger, i didnt pay with plastic for the shoes. i got them at the time of atv purchase so the price was added to the total for the bike. all i wanted was a tire exchange, which they finaly came good for after some persuading. but that is a good idea, never thought of that before, thank you.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts