Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving through the woods today and hooked a sharp stick with my front tire and slashed the side wall I put five plugs in it and coundn't stop the air from coming out. Can I fix it and if I do will it hold or should I go buy a new front tire. By the way they are 26'' mudlites.

·
Registered
300 Posts
get a new tire. nothing worse than being on a trail with a flat tire. PS. do not use a tube, i had a set of Mud lites and put a tube in one. needless to say I got into one mud hole and the tire spun on the rim causing the tube to blow. Had to drive 35 miles on a flat tire, by the time i got to the truck the whole tire was pretty much ripped off. looked kinda cool though.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
If 5 plugs wouldn't even fill up the slash then I would recomend getting a new tire. I wonder if valcanizing(sp) works on the sidewall? I've seen it hold up great in the treads but never used in the sidewall, alot of times even plugs wont hold up well in the sidewall.

·
Premium Member
15,413 Posts
Two of my tires have sidewall holes.

One of the tires has two holes, one is actually a small cut. The other tire has three holes, the biggest one is roughly 3/8". All of these holes are either in the middle of the sidewall or close to the rim.

I removed the tires from the rims to vulcanize patches from the inside. The trick to being successful with this is to use a die-grinder to properly rough-up the shiny inside surface and remove the 'dimples' if your tire has them on the inside.

I had to re-do one of the patches, 100% success on the first try just wasn't in the cards. All the repaired holes hold air now, I've put lots of miles on them since.

One thing that might be making the difference is that I use a high tire pressure, usually 9-10 psi. The high pressure will help minimize sidewall flex, but if you're a rock crawler you might not have success because lower tire pressures are better for rock crawling.

I would never attempt fixing sidewalls on my road vehicle.

I shopped around for the tire slime products... I wanted some on-trail protection. Won't work for a huge gash though. Some slime-type products freeze, some need to be replaced every 2-3 years, most claim to seal 1/4" holes and some claim 3/8".

Then I found the one to get... It was at my Cat dealer, it was the Arctic Cat brand of slime. It is 'permanent', doesn't freeze, doesn't need regular replacement intervals, and claims to seal punctures up to 1/2"!!!

OK, after shopping around, I already knew the others didn't have it all! So I bought the Arctic Cat stuff. Seals up to 1/2"!!! I was sold.

I balanced the tires before I put the stuff in, the wheels are smoother now at high speeds even with the slimey stuff.

If any of the sidewall patches have developed a leak, I may never know.

:chug:

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
Repairing the sidewall area is possible I fix them almost every day at work. A sidewall repair is ok on low pressure tires (30psi or less) that are "not for highway use".

Tire sealants usually work for punctures in the tread area however they don't always work the best on sidewall punctures because the sealant runs in the tread area and cant spread to the sidewall.

Try a local tire shop, if they fix tractor or Bobcat tires chances are that they have the type of plugs or patches that you need for a good repair

Good Luck what ever you do :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
Call IPT they might warranty it for you. Just don't offer any info about how it happened. They warrantied 2 of mine after 2 years because they kept leaking.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I had my bike about 1 week when I ripped the sidewall. Instead of replacing it (5 plugs fell into the hole) I took the tire off and put a few layers of duck tapeover the hole from the inside. Then cut an old tube and slid it over the new tube for protection. I wasn't sure how long it would hold, but its been like that for 1050 miles and 1 yr. and is the only tire on the bike that doesen't go flat. There are lots of rocks where I ride and so far so good. Rockerdude

1 - 9 of 9 Posts