Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! Well the season is coming up and i'm fixin to do a long track conversion on my 440 Sno Pro i'm going to a 144" track so i bought a plastic tunnel extension off ebay and i couldn't find rail extensions so i bought a set of rails for a saber cat ext and no one makes a 13.5" wide 144" track anymore so I found a killer deal on a 144" x 15" x 2" challenger track but i need to cut it down so i was thinking put it in the table saw and shave 0.75" off each side any suggestions on what I could use for a blade? i figured actually using a metal cut off saw cause it might kinda melt the edges a little bit to help singe the cords in the track

·
Premium Member
2,513 Posts
Did you contact Tony at Tracks USA to see if he had any? He's the man to talk to regarding rail extensions. Maybe you can still use your stock set up. I highly recommend giving him a call . Never hurts.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello again! yes ha ha that was my thoughts also on the plastic extension but unfortunately they don't have anymore mine was used and i bought it from an individual on ebay for 80 bucks i guess when the firecats first came out the plastic tunnel extension was kind of an arctic racing thing for hill cross racing it's an arctic cat part number, but since it's plastic it won't hold any weight so i'm going to rivet some supports to it off my tunnel so i can put a bag back there as the glove compartment on this sled is absolutely useless you can cram a spare pair of gloves in it and thats all. Yes sir tracks usa was my first call and they didn't have anything in a 144" for the firecat chassis actually no one does that i could find there were a few that had some 136" stuff though. But i ordered the rails from my cat dealer for a sabercat ext (144" edition) and they are a solid rail which i feel is safer than extensions i held them up to my suspension the other day and all the suspension mounting points are the same except for the two in the back where the rear arm mounts because the stock sabercats ext's had a longer rear arm for more control over the longer track and suspension. I'll try and post some pics when i'm done i'll be heading back home this weekend to work on it hopefully i can get pretty close to being done.

Thanks!
Cory Willbanks

·
Registered
143 Posts
I used a fine tooth blade on a circler saw. Use a straight edge or the inner drive lugs as a guide for the saw.

·
Registered
279 Posts
how much money would you say you have in your project all together. i am thinking of doing the same thing but not sure if i want to spend the money

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ah ok so maybe something similar to a trim saw blade? Sounds like it would work ok did you have to come back along with a torch to singe the cords so it doesn't start to fray? Over all cost of the long track process hasn't been too bad i don't think. I got a smokin deal on the track it's a brand new 15"x144"x2" Challenger mountain track noramlly sells for $800.00 i bought it from www.kenssports.com for $500.00 the slide rails i purchased from my Cat dealer new for $150.00 a piece, the tunnel extension i bought used off of ebay for $80.00 i bought two new graphite UHMW hyfax slides for $18.00 a piece so $500.00+$300.00+$80.00+$36.00=$916.00 so you figure with shipping and all probably a little over a thousand not too bad i don't think because in my opinion the firecat chassis is the best and definetly worth it. A cousin of mine did the exact same thing to an F7 but he was able to find a used track on ebay for $100.00 a tunnel extension for $80.00 and a set of rail extensions for $100.00 but it took him a year or two to gather up those parts at that price. I guess it all depends on how long you wanna wait and how much you wanna search. I have ridden my cousins and it's just got a trail type finger track and it's an absolute blast! in the powder. I'm sure I nor you if you do it won't be disappointed.

Here's some pictures. I feel kinda bad as both my sleds are really dirty they have been sitting under a tarp all summer and I live on a dirt road so they collect some dirt.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I almost forgot an extra couple feet of heater hose to extends the cooler where the snowflap mounts on.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ah cool deal thanks for the tip i'm gonna give the table saw a shot tomorrow and see how it works i got my tunnel extension put on tonight and got the old skidframe pulled out hopefully gonna cut the track tomorrow and maybe get the new rails put on we're finally gettin some decent snow here so hopefully gonna do some ridin next weekend.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got my track cut today i just used the table saw and i went and bought a metal cut off blade it worked great it kinda melted it's way through which is what i wanted. it woulda worked even better except the table saw i have is a POS $100 cheapie and i kept tripping the thermal shutoff on the motor and i can't seem to get the smell of burnt rubber off me oh well you gotta sacrifice something. Got the old track pulled out and the new one put in just gotta re drill the suspension mount points on my new rails next weekend and mount them to the skid frame and throw it in the sled fill the chaincase with oil put my new weights in the primary clutch and hopefully take her for a test ride.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts