Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Ok as I approach 100 miles on the Cat it's time for an oil change. Actually the 2nd the 1st was done at dealer w/ 35 miles due to blowback into the air cleaner. Anyway what kind of oil to use? In my vehicles its always been Castrol, in my 2 strokes it's always been Amsoil Synthetic, but what do I use in the V Twin Cat?
Is motor oil Ok?
Too soon for Mobil 1 or a synthetic?

Also my wife has an XR Honda & I have a KDX 200. As long as we're on the oil issue what type of oil is best for them? (The KDX Bottom end oil as it's a 2 stroke)

Thanks for your help! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wooza1 @ Mar 12 2007, 01:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Hi all,
Ok as I approach 100 miles on the Cat it's time for an oil change. Actually the 2nd the 1st was done at dealer w/ 35 miles due to blowback into the air cleaner. Anyway what kind of oil to use? In my vehicles its always been Castrol, in my 2 strokes it's always been Amsoil Synthetic, but what do I use in the V Twin Cat?
Is motor oil Ok?
Too soon for Mobil 1 or a synthetic?

Also my wife has an XR Honda & I have a KDX 200. As long as we're on the oil issue what type of oil is best for them? (The KDX Bottom end oil as it's a 2 stroke)

Thanks for your help! :thumbsup:[/b]
Personally, I think it's too soon for a synthetic. I'd go another 200 miles at least.

Jay

·
Registered
434 Posts
Thoughts on a proper time to swap to synth vary. I do it after the first oil change. dont forget many new hi-perf bikes and cars come with synth right from the showroom floor. Motors break in just as good using synthetic.

·
Premium Member
908 Posts
Amsoil 0- 40........ I have been running it ever since 150 miles on my H1. The protection is the best for exteem conditions. I beleive it was that amsoil taht saved my engine last year when I sank it. Pulled the ATV out, pulled the plug blew water out. Dropped the oil and rane a couple quats throug. put a couple of qarts back in and ran it back to the parking lot. About 20 miles way. rode it easy. Change out with 10 quarts od cheap stuff and put some amsoil with a new filter on and not one problem. Thats my story and sticking to it......

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
Cat sells a v2 oil change kit that has synthetic oil so I would say it's never to soon to change to synthetic

I use 0W40 mobil one in the motor and 75w90 mobil one synthetic gear lube in the diff's

good luck :beer_cheers:

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
I switched to Synthetic Amsoil 0W-40 in my DVX after the intial break-in oil change (around 100km's). It seems to hold up great between changes and doesn't cause any clutch slippage, which I experienced when running another brand of synthetic oil. If your not after a synthetic oil I've used Honda GN4 10W-40 and Castrol 4-stroke 10W-40 in other quads (one V-twin 650).
With your Cat 650 V2 you are alright to run any motor oil as there is no wet clutch with the Kawi CVTransmission but for your 2 wheeled rides make sure the oils you use do not have any friction modifiers in them as that will cause clutch slippage.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I run Mobile 1 10W 40 summer and 0w 40 in winter

·
Registered
9,103 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bluechev4x4 @ Mar 12 2007, 06:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I run Mobile 1 10W 40 summer and 0w 40 in winter[/b]

Same here. I switched after the 2nd oil change.

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
I run the mobil 5000 in my H1 as if you read the back of the bottle it is rated for SG witch the bikes now adays are suppose to use... The reg oils and reg mobil 1 dosen't say it so i don't use it.

Mark

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Muddedprairie @ Mar 12 2007, 07:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I run the mobil 5000 in my H1 as if you read the back of the bottle it is rated for SG witch the bikes now adays are suppose to use... The reg oils and reg mobil 1 dosen't say it so i don't use it.

Mark[/b]
The SG spec is an old one, from 1993 no less.

On gasoline engine API specifications, all new specifications covers all older ones. So an SM (the current one) covers SG, and SG covers SE, etc.

So as long as the oil you are buying has an ending oil equal to, or higher than what is recommended by the OEM, then you are safe. In most cases, but not always, this holds true for diesel oils as well.

For the record, I use Mobil 1.

For more reading about API specs, check this out (PDF File):

API Classifications defined

·
Registered
9,103 Posts
Right from the Mobil site:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Can I use Mobil Clean 5000 in my motorcycle or my boat engine?

For four-cycle motorcycles, we recommend Mobil 1 MX-4T 10W-40 and Mobil 1 V-Twin 20W-50. These products are designed specifically for four-cycle motorcycles, including wet clutch applications. If your boat engine calls for an API SM, SL, SJ, SH or SG rated oil, you can use Mobil Clean 5000. However, we recommend that you follow the recommended oil change interval in your owner's manual.[/b]
Can I use Mobil Clean 5000 in my diesel engine?

If an API CF or CD oil is recommended for your diesel engine, Mobil Clean 5000 is an excellent choice. If your vehicle calls for an API CI-4 oil, Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40 is an excellent choice. (Updated March 2006)[/b]

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (modn @ Mar 12 2007, 07:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Right from the Mobil site:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
Can I use Mobil Clean 5000 in my motorcycle or my boat engine?

For four-cycle motorcycles, we recommend Mobil 1 MX-4T 10W-40 and Mobil 1 V-Twin 20W-50. These products are designed specifically for four-cycle motorcycles, including wet clutch applications. If your boat engine calls for an API SM, SL, SJ, SH or SG rated oil, you can use Mobil Clean 5000. However, we recommend that you follow the recommended oil change interval in your owner's manual.[/b]
Can I use Mobil Clean 5000 in my diesel engine?

If an API CF or CD oil is recommended for your diesel engine, Mobil Clean 5000 is an excellent choice. If your vehicle calls for an API CI-4 oil, Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40 is an excellent choice. (Updated March 2006)[/b]
[/b][/quote]

Yep, except keep in mind that API classification CD was discontinued in 1985, so for the most part, the DCO 5000 won't work in most diesels. Diesel oils are often up to date with current gasoline specs, but gasoline oils are rarely up to date with current diesel specs.

And as to the MX-4T - great for us with the wet clutches.

Jay

1 - 14 of 14 Posts