Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its time to retire the old 9 tower on my 97 zr. I'd like to hear what you think would be a good choice.

1 Comet 108EXP
2 Team Rapid Response
3 Cat 6 tower

I'm kinda stuck in between a new 6 tower or a Team. I haven't seen much on guys running a Team clutch's but I can get them for about the same money. I also understand their is 2 styles of 6 tower clutches that will fit the 30mm cranks, whats the difference between the two and is one considered better than the other?

·
Super Moderator
8,545 Posts
Its time to retire the old 9 tower on my 97 zr. I'd like to hear what you think would be a good choice.

1 Comet 108EXP
2 Team Rapid Response
3 Cat 6 tower

I'm kinda stuck in between a new 6 tower or a Team. I haven't seen much on guys running a Team clutch's but I can get them for about the same money. I also understand their is 2 styles of 6 tower clutches that will fit the 30mm cranks, whats the difference between the two and is one considered better than the other?

can you even get comets any more??

Just get the 6 tower. They are cheap and easy to come by. The 2004 and newer clutches went to a big pin set screw weight, while the older ones used a small pin and bushing in the weight.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Its basically comets highest performance clutch they make. They use 4 weights instead of 3 and they are balanced better because the castings have less porosity and are smoother. They are really nice clutches but I don't see what the advantage would be by running 4 weights. The cat 6 towers are really nice. That would be my choice. The comet 108 exp would be a close 2nd.

·
Registered
10,362 Posts
can you even get comets any more??

Just get the 6 tower. They are cheap and easy to come by. The 2004 and newer clutches went to a big pin set screw weight, while the older ones used a small pin and bushing in the weight.
Agreed!! ^

·
Registered
256 Posts
buy 6 tower,....pass on the comet 4!!

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
comet is out of business. I think that's the big reason for avoiding the comet clutch.

I have both styles of 6 post Cat clutches in the 30 mm taper. One uses a weight with a bushing that pivots on the pin which is compatible with the 9 tower clutches. The other has a set screw in the weight and the pin pivots in the towers on the clutch itself. The latter is considered more reliable.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I just rebuilt my 9 tower last year. The weights were flopping around crooked and the spring was broken. Figured I would do a little reserch and see what was my best option if I upgraded.
Thanks guys.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts