Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My landscape trailer sucked for the snowmobile so I bought a new Mission clamshell trailer, the trailer came with front ski hold down bars and a slide track the length of the trailer but nothing for the rear. Do I need to tie the rear down or do the front bars hold everything without additional straps? I do have traction mats if that makes a difference.I dunno

·
Premium Member
8,602 Posts
My landscape trailer sucked for the snowmobile so I bought a new Mission clamshell trailer, the trailer came with front ski hold down bars and a slide track the length of the trailer but nothing for the rear. Do I need to tie the rear down or do the front bars hold everything without additional straps? I do have traction mats if that makes a difference.I dunno

How do you like the trailer?? I just picked up a left over 2012 Mission 12' with the clam shell. Haven't had a chance to use it yet, other than to drag it home.

·
Premium Member
4,337 Posts
Few guys I have ridden with don't tie down the back of the sled but I have noticd when thy pull in sometimes the back of the sleds have slid one way or the other. No harm done.

I think just the front would be fine unless you hit a speed bump at 50mph:lol:

·
Premium Member
1,277 Posts
for short trips, or trips with smooth roads to run, I wouldn't think that there would be a problem not strapping the rear end. On the other hand, if you would be going down back roads/low maintanence roads where they can get pretty rough I would recommend strapping them down. Then again I always strap them down no matter what.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How do you like the trailer?? I just picked up a left over 2012 Mission 12' with the clam shell. Haven't had a chance to use it yet, other than to drag it home.

Not sure yet, I've hauled it home and loaded my sled on it....that's as much use as it's got.:lol: It seemed like a decent trailer and they are priced pretty well, I bought it from a dealer about 100 yards from where they build them.

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
In my riding group we have 2 4 place stand up enclosed trailers, a couple 2 place open trailers, and a 2 place clam shell. We actually haul sleds in a 4 place stand up enclosed trailer without any tie downs. Have been doing it for years and haven't had a problem yet. We just lock the brakes on the sleds. Every time we go we say we should put some tie downs in but it seems it never gets done. It isn't my trailer so I don't have any control over it. Our trips are a 9 hour dive and the sleds don't move much at all. Now in my 4 place trailer, I have ski tie downs and use them, and all of the 2 place trailers have ski tie downs and are used. None of the trailers have any rear tie down provisions and I really don't think they are needed personally.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
In my riding group we have 2 4 place stand up enclosed trailers, a couple 2 place open trailers, and a 2 place clam shell. We actually haul sleds in a 4 place stand up enclosed trailer without any tie downs. Have been doing it for years and haven't had a problem yet. We just lock the brakes on the sleds. Every time we go we say we should put some tie downs in but it seems it never gets done. It isn't my trailer so I don't have any control over it. Our trips are a 9 hour dive and the sleds don't move much at all. Now in my 4 place trailer, I have ski tie downs and use them, and all of the 2 place trailers have ski tie downs and are used. None of the trailers have any rear tie down provisions and I really don't think they are needed personally.
x2...with traction mats ,studs and parking brake locked, they wont move.
However, if you were to rearend someone at a decent speed.....there could be issues that could create more damage.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
I have always heard that you should not use the parking brake for extended periods of time, supposedly it is hard on the brake cylinder and caliper seals. But, even without the brake on and no rear tiedowns, my sleds do not move much. As mentioned above, on rough roads, the rear ends will move from side to side a little.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Tie it down. Yeah it might not move around going down the road, but if you hit a ditch, get in a accident, etc.. it could be the difference between a bad day and a really bad day. Your trusting one bolt, an aluminum bar and plastic skis to hold 500+ lbs. Tie it to the frame of the trailer with a strap rated to hold well over the weight of your sled. On the road you're not the only one that could be affected.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I went ahead and picked up a couple tie down rings at the dealer today to fit in my sliding track so I'll be able to tie it down easy. Guess it's better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
Tie it down. Yeah it might not move around going down the road, but if you hit a ditch, get in a accident, etc.. it could be the difference between a bad day and a really bad day. Your trusting one bolt, an aluminum bar and plastic skis to hold 500+ lbs. Tie it to the frame of the trailer with a strap rated to hold well over the weight of your sled. On the road you're not the only one that could be affected.
Well said!! Like many have said, under "normal conditions" the sleds won't move. HOWEVER, saw it for myself two years ago....a guy had to make an abrupt maneuver to avoid someone else's poor judgement. He was towing a clamshell trailer with two sleds that were only tied down at the skis. The rear of the sleds moved enough to damage them and the sides of the trailer. I strap the rear of mine down since I saw that.

On another note, I also am against using the parking brake on a sled when trailering.

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
Pretty sure our laws dictate that they must be tied down. Whether it's needed or not. I don't use the ski ones on my trailer, but even hear people have been given grief using those because they don't conform to our laws. Depends on where you live I guess, and what enforcement officer wants to give you a hard time.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Here are the MTO (Ministry Transport Ontario) requirements

7. Automobiles, Light Trucks and Vans
This portion of the new standards applies to the transportation of automobiles, light trucks, vans and equipment that operate on wheels or tracks, which individually weigh 4,500 kilograms (9,920 lb.) or less. Individual vehicles that are heavier than this must be secured in the same manner as heavy vehicles, equipment and machinery.

Light vehicles
88(1) Light vehicles shall be secured in accordance with this section.
(2) Despite section 22, a light vehicle shall be restrained at both the front and rear from moving
sideways, forward, rearward and vertically using a minimum of 2 tiedowns.
(3) Tiedowns that are designed to attach to the structure of a light vehicle shall be attached to the
mounting points on the vehicle that are specifically designed for that purpose.
(4) Tiedowns that are designed to fit over or around the wheels of a light vehicle shall restrain the
vehicle from moving sideways, forward, rearward and vertically.
(5) Despite section 20, edge protectors are not required for synthetic webbing at points where the
webbing comes into contact with the tires of the light vehicle.​
(6) It is prohibited to transport stacks of light vehicles.

·
Premium Member
1,047 Posts
Tie it down. Yeah it might not move around going down the road, but if you hit a ditch, get in a accident, etc.. it could be the difference between a bad day and a really bad day.

EXACTLY. Happened to me. Lost it on black ice. Did a 360 and ended up going into a 6 ft ditch. Was only doing 40mph.

Because I had the sleds strapped across the rear of the track to floor mounted D-rings they never moved. Had they have shifted the whole thing would have flipped over.

After disconnecting & pulling out the trailer I was back on my way within an hour. The day turned out great!

Spend the $12 for added insurance.

Attachments

·
Registered
100 Posts
Short trips I never strap down the rear. If I'm traveling up north, then yeah. There was a dealer around the area here that was notorious for only using the parking brake. No ski clamps, no straps, nothing. Never lost a sled either. I do not advocate that, but kind of interesting.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts