Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i have a 2003 400 4x4 and it is ticking. i checked the valve lash and its right on it. could it be a guied you think. thanks

·
Banned
226 Posts
My 2 cents:

My bike has some valve noise with the lash set in the middle of factory spec's. I've read other posts on here saying the 400's are noisy. Valve noise isn't uncommon on some atv engines. There are limits to what is acceptable relating to valve noise. But usually there are other symptoms of damage that would tell you if there's a problem.
You can do a compression check to know where your engine is at regarding wear. Or if you want to spend some $$$ you can have your used engine oil analyzed in a lab to show your engine wear. Unless your really high mileage/hours and using oil/smoking, or seeing other relevant symptoms I wouldn't be overly concerned.

could it be a guied you think
Sorry I don't know what "guied" means. Please define.

·
Registered
391 Posts
My 06 400 has ticked since got it brand new. Five years 1050 miles later no problem.That ticking could be the fuel pump, it makes a ticking sound. I was mistaking it for the motor ticking on mine and it wasn't.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Sorry I don't know what "guied" means. Please define.
I think he meant to type guide as in "valve guide".

My 06 400 has ticked since got it brand new. Five years 1050 miles later no problem.That ticking could be the fuel pump, it makes a ticking sound. I was mistaking it for the motor ticking on mine and it wasn't.
The 03 don't have a fuel pump, the gas tank sets above the motor and the fuel is gravity fed unlike yours where the tank is under the seat where a pump is needed to push the fuel to the motor. The 400 motor makes a little ticking noise to some extent.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I think he meant to type guide as in "valve guide".

The 03 don't have a fuel pump, the gas tank sets above the motor and the fuel is gravity fed unlike yours where the tank is under the seat where a pump is needed to push the fuel to the motor. The 400 motor makes a little ticking noise to some extent.
Oh thats my bad. Didn't know it was the gas tank in the front. What year did they start putting them in the back? Was it 05?

·
Registered
737 Posts
If you're hearing the tick at low RPM such as idle it could be the compression release that is built into the cam shaft making the noise. I have heard these make noise at low idle some can get very loud and when you increase the idle the noise goes away.

Jeff @ Funoutfitters.com

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Oh thats my bad. Didn't know it was the gas tank in the front. What year did they start putting them in the back? Was it 05?
No the 05 400's still used the old body, they changed the 400's in 06 like the one you have.
That is a very nice looking Cat you have too.

·
Registered
391 Posts
No the 05 400's still used the old body, they changed the 400's in 06 like the one you have.
That is a very nice looking Cat you have too.
thanks man!

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you're hearing the tick at low RPM such as idle it could be the compression release that is built into the cam shaft making the noise. I have heard these make noise at low idle some can get very loud and when you increase the idle the noise goes away.

Jeff @ Funoutfitters.com
Is that hard to change it really sounds like what mine is doing

·
Administrator
37,475 Posts
It’s nearly a ten year old post. You will have better luck getting responses if you start your own thread with your issues.

·
Registered
10,578 Posts
Is that hard to change it really sounds like what mine is doing
Pull the valve cover off and check the camshaft and rockers. I had ticking that I couldn’t get rid of on my 03 400. Exhaust rocker was worn down with intake and camshaft gouged a bit.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts