Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have herd that some pipes are to loud and if u get pulled over u can get a ticket ??? is this true was looking to buy twins for my f7 dont want to spend to money then not be able to use them. any idea on what pipes i should get and not get ticketed ???

·
Registered
85 Posts
BMP Pipe Mod with a stock can?

·
Registered
275 Posts
In some states....even a modified exhaust will get you a ticket. If they open up your hood and see anything that isn't stock you can get a ticket.

Nearly all states now have a decible limit.

What it boils down to is that yes, you will get a ticket if you have loud pipes and they stop you.

Do us all a favor and stick with the stock exhaust.....loud pipes are going to ruin our sport because it pisses off every land/home owner that lives within earshot of the trail. If you want to do anything, modify the pipe but keep the stock can.

·
Registered
75 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cc-rider @ Jan 4 2007, 07:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
In some states....even a modified exhaust will get you a ticket. If they open up your hood and see anything that isn't stock you can get a ticket.

What it boils down to is that yes, you will get a ticket if you have loud pipes and they stop you.

Do us all a favor and stick with the stock exhaust.....loud pipes are going to ruin our sport because it pisses off every land/home owner that lives within earshot of the trail. If you want to do anything, modify the pipe but keep the stock can.[/b]
sounds like you hate loud pipes, ive had loud pipes before and nobody ever said anything, and what state will give you a ticket if they see anything other than stock?really

·
Registered
261 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HOEVE1 @ Jan 4 2007, 06:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cc-rider @ Jan 4 2007, 07:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Do us all a favor and stick with the stock exhaust.....loud pipes are going to ruin our sport because it pisses off every land/home owner that lives within earshot of the trail. If you want to do anything, modify the pipe but keep the stock can.[/b]
sounds like you hate loud pipes, ive had loud pipes before and nobody ever said anything, and what state will give you a ticket if they see anything other than stock?really
[/b][/quote]

"Nobody ever said anything" Are you kidding me? Of course not. Landowners aren't going to come out and say something to you. They'll just complain to the local club and if they get pissed enough, close the trail.

Two states that can and will ask you to open the hood and look for a modified exhuast are NY and VT. More will be doing the same soon, I'm sure.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I think putting pipes on and keeping the stock can is the thing to do if you want performance with a decient DB level, D&D makes a kit to convert your single stock can to twin inlets. Pipes will change the tone but not so much the DB level, they may be a touch louder but its the aftermarket cans the make your sled loud. IMO

·
Registered
261 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bswej @ Jan 4 2007, 07:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
loud pipes won't loose trails its the idiots that go off of them onto private property.[/b]

You do realize that MANY snowmobile trails on are "private property". Right? If the owner of that property gets upset about the excessive noise, say goodbye to that section of trail!

·
Registered
85 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HOEVE1 @ Jan 4 2007, 05:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
sounds like you hate loud pipes, ive had loud pipes before and nobody ever said anything, and what state will give you a ticket if they see anything other than stock?really[/b]
I almost had my sled impounded in WI for having D&D twins running into a stock can. If it wouldn't be for my old man and the same sled with a stock exhaust to compare it to, I would have been out a sled for the rest of the trip and a lot of money to get my sled back. I think there should be a dB limit if you are seeing now, not a ban on modifying exhaust.

·
Registered
275 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HOEVE1 @ Jan 4 2007, 07:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

[/b][/quote]

Plenty of states are this way. A couple mentioned above plus MN and WI. Although I think the MN DNR now carry db meters. I have no issue with modified exhausts....just loud ones.

Here is what it boils down to.....snowmobilers are getting a bad rap everywhere because of the stupid **** we do. For some reason, snowmobilers don't like to obey any rules and have the mentality of "don't tell me what to do." The sport has been fairly small compared to other sports so it historically wasn't given much attention. However, sledders are disprespecting landowners that are gracious enough to let us cross their land with their loud pipes and riding off the trail. Further yet, sledders are disrespecting the authorities by drinking and getting doped up on sleds.

Now lets bring this together.....pissed off landowners and pissed off authorities. That is the perfect storm for politics if I ever saw one. And all it takes is for one land owner to convince the state government to look at 1 issue.....let's say for example....LOUD PIPES!!!! (Sound familiar?). This begins discussion within state governments....and do you think that they will only look at the noise issue then??? Hell no....anyone who has any political knowledge knows that they will take the opportunity to put restrictions on every damn aspect of snowmobiling (speed, noise, land restrictions, banned areas, etc).

Also, think about this....where do the law makes reside in the states that we snowmobile in???? MN = Minneapolis/St. Paul. WI = Madison. MI = Lansing/Detroit. NY = New York City. The point here is that snowmobiling is not near and dear to ANYONE who lives in these cities because it means nothing to their economy and nobody gives a **** about the cold frozen north that we like to go play in.

If we can start policing ourselves then we're in for one boring, restricted and expensive sport....

·
Premium Member
8,741 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HOEVE1 @ Jan 4 2007, 06:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

[/b][/quote]

right here in MICH,
i was with a group of frends a couple years ago,
and one of them had a t-cat with a aftermarket box.
and he got a ticket for exessive noise.
he was on the diamond marked trails at the time.
not sure if they would have stoped him otherwise???

·
Registered
146 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (racinfarmer @ Jan 4 2007, 07:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HOEVE1 @ Jan 4 2007, 05:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
sounds like you hate loud pipes, Ive had loud pipes before and nobody ever said anything, and what state will give you a ticket if they see anything other than stock?really[/b]
I almost had my sled impounded in WI for having D&D twins running into a stock can. If it wouldn't be for my old man and the same sled with a stock exhaust to compare it to, I would have been out a sled for the rest of the trip and a lot of money to get my sled back. I think there should be a dB limit if you are seeing now, not a ban on modifying exhaust.
[/b][/quote]
Wi has a new law this year on noise. You are allowed any aftermarket pipe as long as it meets the db. limit. Wi did have a ban on all non stock exhaust but it was ruled illegal.

·
Registered
85 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (2003f7 @ Jan 4 2007, 08:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (racinfarmer @ Jan 4 2007, 07:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HOEVE1 @ Jan 4 2007, 05:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
sounds like you hate loud pipes, Ive had loud pipes before and nobody ever said anything, and what state will give you a ticket if they see anything other than stock?really[/b]
[/b][/quote]
Wi has a new law this year on noise. You are allowed any aftermarket pipe as long as it meets the db. limit. Wi did have a ban on all non stock exhaust but it was ruled illegal.
[/b][/quote]

I know they changed that, this was a few years ago now.

·
Registered
243 Posts
here is the exhaust law for wisconsin,it can be after market but it must be below 88 decibals,this is how they measure it,

157 inches from handle bars
48 inches off the ground
park brake set and machine at 4,000 r.p.m.
only allow them to test you on snow or grass,glare ice and concrete/blacktop will give a higher decibal.

all of this was published in american snowmobiler magizine around oct-nov. 2006,at that time the fine price was not issued,I have heard ranges of $160 to $216,it does not matter if it is oem or after market,it must just be 88 decibals or below in wisconsin...and it is enforced.be careful,it is real easy to turn a set of $600.00 pipes into a $216 pain in the a$$

·
Registered
189 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (racinfarmer @ Jan 4 2007, 06:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
BMP Pipe Mod with a stock can?[/b]
This is the way to go. I have BMP Pipe and stock muffler on my F 6, And a BMP Fat Azz with stock muffler on my F9. If you go with twins you are just going to open a can of worms.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have a 06 F7 EFI and I ordered a set of twin pipes with the stingers from D&D (seven weeks ago still waiting), and now I kind of regreting it. My brother has 05 F7 carb and bought a D&D can and it sounds really good. But our friend has a ZRT 600 with stingers and has gone to the UP for the past six years and no problems. I think the land owners expect some noise, i'm sure it is not the first year the trails have went through their property. I live in Hartford,MI and only 3 blocks away from roundy round track and you can hear it but it has never stopped me or my wife & kids (3.5yr old and 1.5yr old) from sleeping or anything else. Some people would complain if they were hung with a new rope, and there is nothing you can do to make them happy. So i'm going to put my twins on and see how loud they are, and go from there. If I think they are to loud i'll save the stingers for racing and buy a quiter can.

·
Registered
85 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (moparF7 @ Jan 6 2007, 07:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I have a 06 F7 EFI and I ordered a set of twin pipes with the stingers from D&D (seven weeks ago still waiting), and now I kind of regreting it. My brother has 05 F7 carb and bought a D&D can and it sounds really good. But our friend has a ZRT 600 with stingers and has gone to the UP for the past six years and no problems. I think the land owners expect some noise, i'm sure it is not the first year the trails have went through their property. I live in Hartford,MI and only 3 blocks away from roundy round track and you can hear it but it has never stopped me or my wife & kids (3.5yr old and 1.5yr old) from sleeping or anything else. Some people would complain if they were hung with a new rope, and there is nothing you can do to make them happy. So i'm going to put my twins on and see how loud they are, and go from there. If I think they are to loud i'll save the stingers for racing and buy a quiter can.[/b]
Trust me, run your twins into your stock can. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts