Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having some issues with my 2009 TRV500, it's doing strange tick tick tick noise from the cylinder head, sounds from the timing system
camshaft / timing chain / rockers ?
any known problems with this model ?
(it has about 400 hours)

·
Administrator
38,873 Posts
Adjust the valves

·
Registered
435 Posts
+1 on the valves. How many miles are on it?
You dont want to run it to hard with a tap tap noise like that. Ive seen some really messed up cam shafts from people ignoring the tap noise and not adjusting there valves.

·
Registered
435 Posts
toclose the valves even more ?
it has about 4500miles
I really dont know what your valve adjustments are. that should be in a manual for you. 4500 miles is alot! Most people I know get them checked every 2000 miles

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Adjusting the valves was the first thing i did, of course with the service manual.

so if it ain't valve clearence , what could that be ? I dunno

·
Registered
435 Posts
Wrong adjustment? I really dont know I cant be there to hear it :( 99% of the time its a valve adjustment issue when you hear it make that noise. Make a youtube video and post it.

·
Registered
435 Posts
HOLY WOW! that's one hell of a tap tap lol. Boy I really dont know. Not sure how them motors are made. I was going to say a timing chain can also make a tap noise if stretched enough but not as consistent as this tap. Almost sounds like a rod bearing :( Or you could of loosen the rocker so much on the valve by doing it wrong. You should take the side covers off and put your ear up to the motor and see where it is coming from. I wouldnt run that motor for more then 1 min no reving. If it was a rod bearing it could make its way out of the head into your leg.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Could of you adjusted the valves while the engine was top dead center on the exhaust stroke instead of top dead center on the compression stroke? Could be problems with cam chain slap too? or piston skirt slap? any metal bits in the oil?

·
Registered
435 Posts
Could of you adjusted the valves while the engine was top dead center on the exhaust stroke instead of top dead center on the compression stroke? Could be problems with cam chain slap too? or piston skirt slap? any metal bits in the oil?
+1 on all of those. Also did this noise just start or did it gradually start as time went on?

·
Registered
435 Posts
When i bought it it had this noise
Oh. I would ask the original owner when this issue started. Please be careful with it because we dont know how bad it really is. I would hate to see you have to buy a complete motor because something came apart in the motor

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i opened the covers and followed what the manual say, just want to make sure i am in TDC before i adjust. Question is, when i open the timing inspection plug and rotate the engine the marks i see are not as the marks in the manual. How can i make sure i am in the correct stroke and in TDC ?

·
Administrator
38,873 Posts
If you are at tdc on compression stroke both intake and exhaust valves should be fully closed. So the rockers should be loose ( no tension).

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

this is the reason for the strange noise.... the @#$% mechanic that
worked on this engine before didn't know what he was doing....
maybe wrong timing caused it ?!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts