Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

Thundercat's

14K views 103 replies 34 participants last post by  jjprice56t 
#1 ·
Problems I've seen here, other forums and heard of on 08 & 09 Thundercat ATV's

1. Spike load dampener starts slipping easily; Same replacement part #'s 08 & 09's
2. Engine Split case gasket oil leaking; Same Silly putty used as gasket 08 & 09's.
3. Hot Start Issue; New part number for the front cam on 09's (ADDRESSED)
4. Water pump leaks; Same replacement part numbers 08 & 09's I've seen 3 bad 09's
5. Leaking Seals on engine; Same replacement part numbers 08 & 09's
6. U-joints bearings seizing; Same replacement part numbers 08 & 09's
7. A-Arm bushings; Same replacement part numbers 08 & 09's
8. Air cleaner cover cap warps and leaks; New part number for the cover on 09's (ADDRESSED)
9. Tubing on racks breaking at welds; Same replacement part numbers 08 & 09's unless you get the upgraded rack. New RACKS ARE JUNK only half welded.
10. Oil cooler lines leaking at clamps, Needs tightened and double clamped. This was a service bulletin on 05 650 H1's surprised this is still an issue.
11. Fuel gauges are inaccurate 90% of the time.
12. Starter failing; New part number for the starter on 09's (ADDRESSED)
13. Weld breaking on ring gear pin in front differential, causing case to self destruct and split open or lock up. An issue on 700 H1 as well from what I've read? maybe other models too??? Could be a serious safety concern if the front locks up while at speed.
14. Exhaust breaking at the point where 2 pipes join into 1.
15. ?????? is this the entire list of re-occurring problems??????

From what I've been able to tell by researching part numbers and via discussion here and other sources. There has been very little changes on the Thundercat between 08's and 09's when it comes to addressing issues that many owners have experienced. Some claim the 09's are better?? If the 09's use the same parts as the 08's just why would the 09's be better? I'm thinking many of the problems the many of the first 08's were having did get addressed and upgraded by the second run (late 08's) Part numbers were not available until late spring 08 so there may of been changes between early 08's and later 08's part numbers.

There is a 2009 Tcat Demo quad at the local dealers that has oil leaks, leaking water pump already with less than a 60 miles on it.

A-arm bushings and fuel gauges are a problem on ALL arctic cats. Because of the weight of the Tcat and TRV's I believe you'll see worn out A-arm bushings sooner on heavier bikes. My own T-cat has had all problems listed above except for #1 Spike load dampener and #3 Hot start issue, #12 & #13. None of the problems I've had, occurred right away, not until after 700-750 miles is when problems started showing up. Until then I didn't have a single issue, I thought I was lucky and treating it nice enough. Now it seems like lately every time I look at it closely, something else is wrong. I've got about 935 miles on it now. I've rode it hard, but I've not abused it, the Tcat has seen better treatment then my 650 H1 with twice the mileage and it (H1) hasn't had any problems at all.

Until Arctic cat addresses all of these issues with upgraded parts to CURE the problems, I suspect they will repeat every 750-1000 miles +/-. Why wouldn't they, Replace a weak part with the same part and expect different results?? I don't think so.

Until Arctic cat addresses these problems, I will not recommend the Thundercat to anyone unless they are aware of these issues and are willing to deal with and live with them. Got to admit I'm hooked on Big bore ATV's now, my 650H1 is so boring to ride anymore. My 650H1 is a beast, Runs good, has been through hell without taking any shortcuts and has never let me down mechanically or had any problems. I also had a 2002 400 manual that was also just as durable as the H1 is. Sure was counting on the H2 being the same.

See less See more
#2 ·
you would think arctic cat would fix more of the problems for the second year but mabe they did not think oil leaks and a leaking water pump is a problem that needs to be fixed for the 09 bikes LOL

i would really like a t cat but i think the mud pro is a little more of what i want + the mud pro should not have as many problems :)

i need to make up my mind about what i want soon LOL

#4 ·
It is tiresome and past annoying hearing this stuff, and now I just skip the threads when I see it. I've been one of the few defending this bike for a very long time, but now I have no more left in me to do so. For the very first time Kratos will finally say here in this thread that Cat dropped the ball on this one. I will probably get rid of mine for the 2010 season to something better.

#7 ·
Replacement U joints.

Precision Part # 391 will fit the TC in front and rear if you have the new updated front drive shaft as well. and if not the Precision # 392 will fit the front of the old style front drive shaft.

which the #392 is also the correct one for the front on the 650H1s as well..

They also have a updated starter for them as well, and it fits the 650/700H1s also .. #0825-013

On the fan ALL ACs have that isssue, when you get into water/mud with the fan running it will pop the fuse. Best thing to do is get a curcit breaker fuse for it that way if it trips when it cools down it will reset itself and you can just keep riding.

I have also heard AC dont change the part numbers alot of times but just puts the new parts under the old number.
IMOP the TC has not been a good quad to help get AC a good name its doing the oppisite for sure.

#8 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Wyo, do you think the better venting of the crankcase will help the oil leaks on the engine/trans? Has it helped yours?[/b]
Possibly, sure couldn't hurt. Would stand to reason that less crankcase pressure would lead to less leakage.

#9 ·
Replacement U joints.
Precision Part # 391 will fit the TC in front and rear if you have the new updated front drive shaft as well. and if not the Precision # 392 will fit the front of the old style front drive shaft. which the #392 is also the correct one for the front on the 650H1s as well..[/b]
Yes, I've got these part numbers saved in case i need to change out my own, unfortunately, when repaired under warranty at the dealer, you still get the same old cat parts.

They also have a updated starter for them as well, and it fits the 650/700H1s also .. #0825-013[/b]
Oh yeah, I forgot about the starter being a problem for many. I've not had any starter problems myself. I've edited the original post to include this. Thanks,

On the fan ALL ACs have that issue, when you get into water/mud with the fan running it will pop the fuse. Best thing to do is get a circuit breaker fuse for it that way if it trips when it cools down it will reset itself and you can just keep riding.[/b]
I agree, fan blowing fuses 99% of the time it from deep water crossing with the fan running.

I have also heard AC don't change the part numbers a lot of times but just puts the new parts under the old number.[/b]
Wonder if there is a way to confirm this, I've seen quite a few parts with the part number molded in to the casting or marked on the part, when you look up the number in the parts diagram, many times you'll see the old part # and a new part # that replaces it. I don't know for sure.

IMOP the TC has not been a good quad to help get AC a good name its doing the opposite for sure.[/b]
Arctic cat has destroyed my confidence in this machine but I still love my old 650H1. Arctic's got a big problem now. Because of the word getting out that the Thundercat has issues, they are not selling, without good sales, they'll drop development and improvements. The only way they could redeem themselves now is to issue a series of service bulletins with upgrades to fix the machines already out there and future sales. Such an action would be costly but would go a long way towards improving their image they currently have in the Big Bore arena. Most likely it would restore my confidence anyhow. If they choose to ignore the current problems with the 08's and the 09's, there may not be a 2010 model. As it stand now, when I dump the Thundercat, I'll look elsewhere for a big bore replacement. There is a old colorful saying I've always followed, I've toned down the wording here, "Screw me once, Shame on you. Screw me twice, Shame on me!"

#11 ·
The question is though, Are the sells low for them or around what they expected and planned for? With the issues not being addressed at the correct level like you say, maybe they are not in a situation where they need to worry.[/b]
:rofl: New business tactic, "Planning for Mediocrity" I love it, wonder if it will actually work?:rofl:

Actually planning in acceptable risk is a good business practice, however every 2008 and 2009 Thundercat I know of has experienced one or more of the problems listed above as mileage accumulates towards 1000 or so. That's a 100% failure rate on this model lineup. This cannot be good for their business.

#12 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wyo_H1_Cat @ Dec 30 2008, 01:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
The question is though, Are the sells low for them or around what they expected and planned for? With the issues not being addressed at the correct level like you say, maybe they are not in a situation where they need to worry.[/b]
:rofl: New business tactic, "Planning for Mediocrity" I love it, wonder if it will actually work? :rofl:
[/b][/quote]
I can understand the frustration many of you are having with the problems of this new machine. I really doubt that AC would be satisfied with giving the consumers junk and IMO if they had a fix for these items and they were not terribly expensive to resolve they would have done so with the 09's. Just my guess.

Admitting there is a problem and fixing it are two completely different things. This type of thing happens all the time, it's unfortunate, but true. Not every T-Cat has the problems you listed. Maybe not even a majority. The old adage that bad publicity is the loudest rings true. I am not saying these things are not happening and AC better fix them because bad news travels fast with the internet now, but you hear 10 bad experiences for every 1 good one, that is just the nature of society.

I hope AC resolves these nagging issues on these machines so the noise calms down. There are a lot of good things with the TCat, but they are being overshadowed with the bad.

#13 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wyo_H1_Cat @ Dec 29 2008, 11:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Problems I've seen here, other forums and heard of on 08 & 09 Thundercat ATV's

1. Spike load dampener starts slipping easily; Same replacement part #'s 08 & 09's
2. Engine Split case gasket oil leaking; Same Silly putty used as gasket 08 & 09's.
3. Hot Start Issue; New part number for the front cam on 09's (ADDRESSED)
4. Water pump leaks; Same replacement part numbers 08 & 09's I've seen 3 bad 09's
5. Leaking Seals on engine; Same replacement part numbers 08 & 09's
6. U-joints bearings seizing; Same replacement part numbers 08 & 09's
7. A-Arm bushings; Same replacement part numbers 08 & 09's
8. Air cleaner cover cap warps and leaks; New part number for the cover on 09's (ADDRESSED)
9. Tubing on racks breaking at welds; Same replacement part numbers 08 & 09's unless you get the upgraded rack. New RACKS ARE JUNK only half welded.
10. Oil cooler lines leaking at clamps, Needs tightened and double clamped. This was a service bulletin on 05 650 H1's surprised this is still an issue.
11. Fuel gauges are inaccurate 90% of the time.
12. Starter failing; New part number for the starter on 09's (ADDRESSED)
13. ?????? is this the entire list of re-occurring problems??????

From what I've been able to tell by researching part numbers and via discussion here and other sources. There has been very little changes on the Thundercat between 08's and 09's when it comes to addressing issues that many owners have experienced. Some claim the 09's are better?? If the 09's use the same parts as the 08's just why would the 09's be better? I'm thinking many of the problems the many of the first 08's were having did get addressed and upgraded by the second run (late 08's) Part numbers were not available until late spring 08 so there may of been changes between early 08's and later 08's part numbers.

There is a 2009 Tcat Demo quad at the local dealers that has oil leaks, leaking water pump already with less than a 60 miles on it.

A-arm bushings and fuel gauges are a problem on ALL arctic cats. Because of the weight of the Tcat and TRV's I believe you'll see worn out A-arm bushings sooner on heavier bikes. My own T-cat has had all problems listed above except for #1 Spike load dampener and #3 Hot start issue. None of the problems I've had, occurred right away, not until after 700-750 miles is when problems started showing up. Until then I didn't have a single issue, I thought I was lucky and treating it nice enough. Now it seems like lately every time I look at it closely, something else is wrong. I've got about 935 miles on it now. I've rode it hard, but I've not abused it, the Tcat has seen better treatment then my 650 H1 with twice the mileage and it (H1) hasn't had any problems at all.

Until Arctic cat addresses all of these issues with upgraded parts to CURE the problems, I suspect they will repeat every 750-1000 miles +/-. Why wouldn't they, Replace a weak part with the same part and expect different results?? I don't think so.

Until Arctic cat addresses these problems, I will not recommend the Thundercat to anyone unless they are aware of these issues and are willing to deal with and live with them. Got to admit I'm hooked on Big bore ATV's now, my 650H1 is so boring to ride anymore. My 650H1 is a beast, Runs good, has been through hell without taking any shortcuts and has never let me down mechanically or had any problems. I also had a 2002 400 manual that was also just as durable as the H1 is. Sure was counting on the H2 being the same.[/b]
I had only problems with #1,2 and 6 but with 6 they changed them before they wore out because of a recall on the front drive shaft and I had a problem blowing fan fuses I just went up 5 amps on the fuse and I am happy with mine .
IMO universals are going to go out if your hard on your bike and run it thru the mud alot especialy if it's got the power of the Thundercat . Lets face it Arctic Cat may have dropped the ball on this one but it is THE FUNNEST 4WHEELER I HAVE EVER RODE.
Isn't that why we by 4wheelers?
So I guess it's the luck of the draw to get one thats trouble free, I still like my Thundercat.
Kenny

#16 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kratos @ Dec 30 2008, 02:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I agree with you Captain. Wyo is scaring me though because I don't have 1000 miles on mine yet, and I'm afraid to drive it to that mark since he says 1000 is all people get out of them before the lemons pop out.[/b]
Yeah, I hear ya. Do you have a 3 year warranty? Just hope for the best I guess.

In my experience AC has stood behind their products much better than other brands I have owned. A good dealer makes all the difference. There was a snowmobile I had once that blew up on me. After that happened I was afraid to even drive it. I traded it. Let someone else deal with it. Probably wouldnt have been a problem anymore, but the fear looming didnt allow me to enjoy riding it.

#17 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lordpaxin @ Dec 30 2008, 11:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I think there is an issue with the Fan, many tcats have blown fan fuses.[/b]
Oops, forgot about that one. It was on the first ride, when we did a pretty deep creek crossing. It hasn't happened since

#18 ·

In my experience AC has stood behind their products much better than other brands I have owned. A good dealer makes all the difference. There was a snowmobile I had once that blew up on me. After that happened I was afraid to even drive it. I traded it. Let someone else deal with it. Probably wouldn't have been a problem anymore, but the fear looming didn't allow me to enjoy riding it.[/b]
Yes I'm covered on warranty, 6 months from cat and I think another 24 months from CatCare. I know multiple claims to CatCare and they get real pissy and start claiming abuse and refuse to pay. This is when a very good dealer to fight them directly becomes very important. And there is the $50 dollar deductible each time too. I've been told that Catcare is an independent warranty service that is not part of Arctic Cat. Anyone know for sure? I wonder if Catcare gives feedback to Arctic cat on claims submitted?

In this area I know of 4 local Thundercats in a 100 mile radius. Two 08's one 09 that have been sold and out in the bush and one 09 that has less then 50 miles on it that the dealer has been using as a demo. All four of these share many of the same problems. The demo is leaking oil and has a leaking water pump. The other 08 and 09 both have had water pumps changed, the other 08 twice. Both have had engine case oil leaks, and the other 08 has had U-joints replaced and a starter replaced for the hot start problem I think. The 09 had a radiator replaced. that was most likely an isolated problem since I've not heard of it before. The 09 in the field has only about 650 miles on it last I heard. I'm not sure if he have experienced other problems yet or not. I need to talk with them again sometime. That is if I can fully rely upon what I've been told. In all cases, the two local dealers involved have quickly gotten to repairs. Mine was in the shop for 11 days only. So at least in this area there isn't a dealer problem. I just don't want the hassle of trying to get Catcare to cover potential repeat failures over and over again in the future and shelling out 50 bucks every time. Is it too much to expect similar durability that I got with my 2002 400 and the 2006 650H1?

I got to admit every time I hit the throttle a big grin shows up on my face, Love to ride this thing. Everyone I meet on the trail is impressed and asks lots of questions, I'll tell them it a great ride and fun to ride. I just can't recommend they buy one, I share the good with the bad openly and freely.

The majority of Thundercats sold will probably last problem free for the duration of the 6 month factory warranty now. The failure rate within the 6 month period is probably pretty low, 1 out of 4 here had problems with low mileage in a short time frame and actually since the dealer hasn't sold the demo it's factory warranty period hasn't even started yet. Beyond the 6 month period, when the miles start to add up and the extended warranty kicks in is beyond Arctic cats factory vision so they probably don't even know whats going on. In this location alone, 4 out of 4 experiencing major problems in under 100 hours is a 100% problem rate. Maybe there is someone out there from Arctic cat reading this and cares enough to do something about it, then again maybe not.

Sure I could replace U-joints to an aftermarket joint that I can grease and maintain, but this shouldn't be my responsibility in under 100 hours or 1000 miles of use. Even though I'll probably do that anyhow, I'm not a mud rider. I could probably count time times I've had this machine in water over 10" deep on my fingers and toes. Well maybe not, but close

The whole issue is sort of like the Cat's fuel gauge problem. Granted I do not rely upon the fuel gauge on my H2 or H1, but it is an item that I paid for and it should work. Why don't Arctic Cat refund all of us the price of the fuel gauge and part of the instrument cluster since we cannot rely upon it or use it. I've ignored the problem and Arctic Cats ignored it too. I hate paying for stuff that don't work or is flawed and Arctic cat not doing anything about it. The fuel gauge has been a problem for 3-4 years now. On this site everyone acknowledges the gauge problem and accepts it. Should we? If your dealer is like mine, he'll say yes we can replace it, but the replacement will fail too so why bother? Maybe if Arctic cat got flooded with 1000's of claims on fuel gauges they would do something to fix them? But this would have to be done during the 6 month factory warranty period to affect them. Are Thundercat issues doomed to the same fate as fuel gauges and A-arm bushings, where Arctic Cat just ignores the problems? No wonder Arctic cat cannot gain market share against the other makes. They need a good reverse engineering engineer on the staff.

So if you're in the Market for a new ATV after you made your best deal, make them discount the price of the ATV by the price of the fuel sender, and a portion instrument cluster because it isn't going to work anyhow. Let the pull the fuel sender out if they want, point is you shouldn't have to pay for it in the sticker price once you made your best deal. and have them throw in a lifetime supply of a-arm bushings too while you're at it.

#19 ·
From your post Wyo, the general conclusion is that you are saying that AC is not standing behind their product. And if AC is not standing by their product, my question is... are you going to leave them and pursue another brand, or is this thread your plea to them as a loyal customer hoping that someone will listen?

#20 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Captain @ Dec 30 2008, 10:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kratos @ Dec 30 2008, 02:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree with you Captain. Wyo is scaring me though because I don't have 1000 miles on mine yet, and I'm afraid to drive it to that mark since he says 1000 is all people get out of them before the lemons pop out.[/b]

[/b][/quote]

6 month warranty, so that's out. All I have outside of that is atv insurance and hopefully a descent dealer. I guess we'll see where the chips fall. I've come to the conclusion that if I have these issues and my dealer resolves them, I'll keep the bike because it is a one of a kind. If things go real sour and my dealer and AC starts trippin, she's out of the stable.

#22 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wyo_H1_Cat @ Dec 31 2008, 01:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I've been told that Catcare is an independent warranty service that is not part of Arctic Cat. Anyone know for sure? I wonder if Catcare gives feedback to Arctic cat on claims submitted?[/b]
I am nearly 100% sure they are a separate entity.

The whole issue is sort of like the Cat's fuel gauge problem. Granted I do not rely upon the fuel gauge on my H2 or H1, but it is an item that I paid for and it should work.[/b]
Funny about the gauge, I know there has been TONS of problems with them. My dad had his replaced once and it still acted up, but now, it works great! Not sure what he did, but I know he had if off several times and dialectric greased the connections. Not sure if that did it, but it works fine now.

This scenario reminds of the 5.4 Fords that blows spark plugs through the hood. According to them there isnt a problem, but if you have one that is nearing 70k miles you better check them for tightness. They fixed it with the newer ones, but will not admit any problem with the others. Apparently the 100k service doesnt really mean 100k.

I guess what I would do is bring it in to the dealer to make sure everything is documented regarding issues and then if it does happen outside of warranty you could say it was an issue before and have a decent chance of it getting covered.

#23 ·
Yeah the gas gauge is funny, my 05 500m the gauge works great and always has but my 08 650 is allways reading a different amount it goes up and down everytime you cycle the key..lol

#24 ·
From your post Wyo, the general conclusion is that you are saying that AC is not standing behind their product. And if AC is not standing by their product, my question is... are you going to leave them and pursue another brand, or is this thread your plea to them as a loyal customer hoping that someone will listen?[/b]
Since you asked, No I do not feel Arctic Cat is standing behind their products. If they did there would be a fix for the screwed up fuel gauges, there would be improved A-arm bushings, they would install a fuel filter on all machines to keep plastic shavings from the fuel tank from plugging the carburetors. These issues have plagued the AC lineup for years. Why? Perhaps there should be service bulletins to replace defective parts on some machines. For instance, Frames that they know are bad. Since this is a potential serious safety concern. Do they care? Not unless the CPSC Consumer Product Safety Commission gets involved.

And on the Thundercat, there is a new front cam on the 2009 Thundercats that is supposed to be better then the cam on the 2008's that cures the hot start problem. Arctic will not bother to change out your cam or mine unless we experience problems with starting, but it's known that there is an issue with the 2008 front cylinder cam. They choose to ignore this upgrade for the few 2008's that haven't had this issue. For me I suspect the only reason I have not had this problem is because I'm at a high altitude where the air is less dense and cranking cylinder pressures are lower, not high enough to lock the engine. If I were to sometime vacation with my ATV at low altitudes, I bet i would have the hot start issue too.

Am I loyal? well I have been, I put a 2002 400 and a 2006 H1 through hell and didn't have any major problems other than the fuel gauge and shock bushings on the H1. I just expected the Thundercat to be similar in durability. The performance of Arctic Cats in rock climbing has converted many over to arctic cats in this area because of the ground clearance and the low range torque of the engine. You just cant stop one hardly. They will literally climb a tree if you desire. However if I continue to have problems with the H2 I'll dump it and buy something else. The local dealer is quite pissed since the word gotten out that there are some major issues with the Thundercat. They have one that they can't sell, nobody wants it. Originally there were 14 people on the waiting list with deposits in hand for a 2008 Thundercat when it was first announced, I just happened to be first. The economy here in Wyoming hasn't suffered like the rest of the nation, Yet. Lots of power toys and new vehicles sold here. un-employment is low here still

There was a thread here just a few weeks ago about a dealer that had a new Tcat for sale at $8000, Why? Is it all economy or is the word out that there is problems with it? When an if I replace my Tcat, it will not be another Tcat that I can promise you and myself. Is this a plea to Arctic Cat? Well I would hope someone at Arctic cat reads threads on this forum once in a while? If they did they could make a better product, improve their market share and become the best most desirable ATV out there. I doubt if they will do anything though. It appears Arctic Cat builds a product to last for the duration of the 6 month factory warranty. Beyond that, customers are at the mercy of their extended warranty service or on their own. Have you noticed most Cat riders on this forum are their own mechanics and do their own repair work? Honda is probably the best selling ATV based solely on their durability record alone even though their performance lacks in many areas. Non mechanical people buy Hondas. People who buy Cats quickly learn how to replace axles, boots, differentials, bushings, clean carburetors, and so on. Why, because labor costs are to high to have the dealer perform all the work a Cat requires. If Arctic cat reversed engineered problem areas better, I'm sure their sales would improve drastically.

That Polaris 850 is starting to look pretty good with the changes they made to the suspension. I've got a friend who is getting one that I'll get to ride in the rocks this spring or summer. It will be interesting how it does against the Cats and whether or not it is more durable then the Tcat?

#25 ·
I'm interested in seeing the sell numbers for them now. I have a feeling the 11.5K price tag is going to be severely dropped for the 2010 season. And if the numbers are too bad, we might not being seeing the bike at all in the upcoming years.

I hope not though. I like this bike and I want it to bring more success to AC. I hope these issues get resolved.

#26 ·
wyo cat - just wanted to say thanks for calling it how it is..ac needs to wake up and take notice of these problems...i am also a 3 time cat owner..and they lost me to ...there are alought of loyal ac people on this site which is great(i can respect someone who rides for the brand),but its hard to support a company that wont support its customers...i wont pollute this thread with my thoughts anymore,,good luck to all of you t-cat owners i hope ac makes it right with you...and happy new year

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.