Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a little late of me asking but what is the pros and cons of the Thundercat? I am more interested in the cons to find out what the faults it has so I can correct it before something bad happens.

So far I herd the rear drive shaft was weak and i keep hearing people breaking axles. This scares the poo out of me because of the price! I have 28" tires on my Tcat and havent put more then 100 yards of riding on it yet. Any and all info for me and future buyers would greatly help. Thanks Robert

·
Registered
5 Posts
I havnt had any trouble with the axles but they have a poor location for the air intake. If u nose down in a mud hole u will suck water and mud in your motor. (not snorkeled)

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I havnt had any trouble with the axles but they have a poor location for the air intake. If u nose down in a mud hole u will suck water and mud in your motor. (not snorkeled)
I do plan on a snorkel here real soon. I am having a custom made radiator grill cover made right now at a C&C shop.

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
Burp bottle mod, crankcase vent mod, SLD (spike load dampener), greaseable automotive universals for prop shafts, snorkels, exhaust mod. These are all common mods and can be found by a search in the forums. Happy hunting. All these mods are in my sig and were found out by other people's hard work.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Burp bottle mod, crankcase vent mod, SLD (spike load dampener), greaseable automotive universals for prop shafts, snorkels, exhaust mod. These are all common mods and can be found by a search in the forums. Happy hunting. All these mods are in my sig and were found out by other people's hard work.
Isnt the crank case mod, burp bottle mod the same thing? From my understanding all you do is give it better air flow to let your crank case breath better. Many says its easy and I have sen some pics of this and Im told to drill out the part thats between the V on the v twin and add bigger air lines?

never herd of the greasable uni for prop shaft?

I got me a Big Gun exhaust on its way so no need to do that mod :)

I will have to do more checking on snorkel mods because I seen one post that was way to detailed and there was so much math stuff in there my head started to spin. All about 1.5 gives you do much area of air and bla bla lol. It was a very detailed good post but I wish they put it out there for dummies like myself. Like why is there 3 snorkles? And how big of pipe should I use.

·
Premium Member
1,277 Posts
Isnt the crank case mod, burp bottle mod the same thing? From my understanding all you do is give it better air flow to let your crank case breath better. Many says its easy and I have sen some pics of this and Im told to drill out the part thats between the V on the v twin and add bigger air lines?

I will have to do more checking on snorkel mods because I seen one post that was way to detailed and there was so much math stuff in there my head started to spin. All about 1.5 gives you do much area of air and bla bla lol. It was a very detailed good post but I wish they put it out there for dummies like myself. Like why is there 3 snorkles? And how big of pipe should I use.
3 pipes: Air intake, Belt intake, Belt Exhaust
1.5" is factory size so you shouldn't need to rejet/programmer, or you can use 2" pipe and put a 1.5" reducer on it in the beginning just incase you decide to get a programmer like a PC-V, then you just take off the reducer. Hopefully that helps

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
2" pipe and the 3 snorkels are... Engine air in, belt cvt cooling air in and thirdly is belt cvt cooling air out.
Yes about burp bottle mod, but you can also add a third crankcase vent as I did.

·
Premium Member
1,277 Posts

Crank case mod involves taking the hose from the air box to motor, and replacing it with a longer hose with 3-4 loops in it, so if you ingest water hopefully it doesn't make it to the motor.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Crank case mod involves taking the hose from the air box to motor, and replacing it with a longer hose with 3-4 loops in it, so if you ingest water hopefully it doesn't make it to the motor.
Ohhh seems easy enough to do. What mod is it called?

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
3 pipes: Air intake, Belt intake, Belt Exhaust
1.5" is factory size so you shouldn't need to rejet/programmer, or you can use 2" pipe and put a 1.5" reducer on it in the beginning just incase you decide to get a programmer like a PC-V, then you just take off the reducer. Hopefully that helps
I know there is an air intake and a belt intake. But a belt exhaust? I think there is only one opening on the belt cover isnt there? got pics?

Also when i bought my big gun exhaust I also got there TFI/EFI power box. So I do have a programmer. Would I be able to run a little bigger sense I got this box now ? Big Gun Exhaust Store

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am adding a pic from what I have found pic#3 I can do easily and add a few loops. But pic 4 I don't know where to get this burp bottle?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,277 Posts
I know there is an air intake and a belt intake. But a belt exhaust? I think there is only one opening on the belt cover isnt there? got pics?

Also when i bought my big gun exhaust I also got there TFI/EFI power box. So I do have a programmer. Would I be able to run a little bigger sense I got this box now ? Big Gun Exhaust Store
Check the back and you will see a boot coming off the back of your belt area. In regards to the power box, you could do the snorkles with the 2", ride it a bit, check the plugs and see if they are running right, and if it shows signs of beiong lean, than you can put the 1.5" reducer on the end of your air intake snorkle.

·
Registered
394 Posts
vent "in" front of the belt housing, vent "out" the back of the housing goes up under the seat and vents above the exhaust on the left side. So if your back end goes under during water wheelies it sucks alot of water in.

·
Premium Member
1,277 Posts
I am adding a pic from what I have found pic#3 I can do easily and add a few loops. But pic 4 I don't know where to get this burp bottle?
That pic is for your differential, but I believe is similar for the burp bottle mod, which is for the motor on the t-cats. They tend to blow oil through the crank case vent, especially on high speed runs, I believe wyo h1 did a write up on the burp bottle mod, I don't have a t-cat so I am grasping at straws on this one, just going off memory from what I have read. I believe you provide your own bottle.

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
The burp bottle is in front of the steering stem at the top. It has 2 lines going in at the bottom and 1 leaving at the top that leads to the air filter compartment.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The burp bottle is in front of the steering stem at the top. It has 2 lines going in at the bottom and 1 leaving at the top that leads to the air filter compartment.
I do see that. I just wonder how there made and is it worth adding bigger lines if that bottle is still the same size?

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
I do see that. I just wonder how there made and is it worth adding bigger lines if that bottle is still the same size?

The looped crankcase vent hose is to help prevent water from entering the crankcase if you swamp the ATV under water.

The Burp bottle mod improves the factory crankcase venting on the older Tcats. The bottle inlets are enlarged as much as possible and the one small outlet is increased in size. There are 2 inlets and one outlet. All three are the same size and the plastic ******* where the inlets are connected are enlarged also. The one small outlet is increased in size. Reading the text of the mod explains what is done and how it is done and should be easy enough to comprehend how the mod improves crankcase venting.

The two mods are NOT the same thing really.

·
Administrator
38,910 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The looped crankcase vent hose is to help prevent water from entering the crankcase if you swamp the ATV under water.

The Burp bottle mod improves the factory crankcase venting on the older Tcats. The bottle inlets are enlarged as much as possible and the one small outlet is increased in size. There are 2 inlets and one outlet. All three are the same size and the plastic ******* where the inlets are connected are enlarged also. The one small outlet is increased in size. Reading the text of the mod explains what is done and how it is done and should be easy enough to comprehend how the mod improves crankcase venting.

The two mods are NOT the same thing really.
Thanks! I was just trying to picture it without looking at mine first. It is 12-30 degrees out around here and to darn cold to just tear into it without knowing all the facts. I have my 300 in the garage where its heated right now :(

Take BB off, enlarge the 2 inlets and one outlet, get a longer hose for the outlet and loop it.
I have seen people putting them into there air box? Is that stock or do I have to drill into the air box to do this? Only reason I am asking is when I do the snorkel I will do this mod with it so I will be done cutting up the air box.

Another question about snorkels. The stock factory black plastic air box up front under the very front plastic. Do I take that completely out and throw it away? I don't see any use for it unless it acts like a bracket of some sorts?

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Thanks! I was just trying to picture it without looking at mine first. It is 12-30 degrees out around here and to darn cold to just tear into it without knowing all the facts. I have my 300 in the garage where its heated right now :(

Take BB off, enlarge the 2 inlets and one outlet, get a longer hose for the outlet and loop it.
I have seen people putting them into there air box? Is that stock or do I have to drill into the air box to do this? Only reason I am asking is when I do the snorkel I will do this mod with it so I will be done cutting up the air box.

Another question about snorkels. The stock factory black plastic air box up front under the very front plastic. Do I take that completely out and throw it away? I don't see any use for it unless it acts like a bracket of some sorts?
The ******* where the stock hoses slide on to the BB are not drilled to the full diameter they could be. I'd replace the single outlet with a larger diameter hose. I used 3/4" hose for the outlet. That is the basis about the BB mod and fully covered in the BB mod thread. Re-read it completely and all follow up posts.

Doesn't make much sense to have one outlet that is the same size or 1/2 the cross sectional area ID of the two inlets. The 08's and 09's used 3/8" ID hoses, I think the 10's or 11's and newer use 1/2" diameter hose and better case venting all around.

Most do away with the air intake donut over the radiator when snorkeling. There are 100's of threads concerning snorkels for you to research and come up with you own method.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts