Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have checked that following is according to specification
  • Compression (cold and warm)
  • Fuel pressure (not running, starting and running)
  • That there is spark when cranking
  • Measured crank position sensor (resistance)
  • No fault codes
  • New spark plugs with correct gap
  • Checked and adjusted valves
  • New fuel
Note that it runs great and hour counter says ~300h.

Check out this video showing the problem:

·
Registered
395 Posts
I have checked that following is according to specification
  • Compression (cold and warm)
  • Fuel pressure (not running, starting and running)
  • That there is spark when cranking
  • Measured crank position sensor (resistance)
  • No fault codes
  • New spark plugs with correct gap
  • Checked and adjusted valves
  • New fuel
Note that it runs great and hour counter says ~300h.

Check out this video showing the problem:
Perhaps the decompressor is not closing correctly upon first startup, its staying open to long; thus the smell of fuel. Be careful not to crank engine over to long, you may overheat your starter. I was told by my A/C mechanic if my snowmobile doesn’t start immediately, let it rest with the key off for 3-5 seconds before trying to start again; ECU needs time to recalibrate. Good luck. 🤔

·
Administrator
38,969 Posts
Has it had the upgraded starter installed ? Year ?

Reactions: William Stern Jr.

·
Administrator
38,969 Posts
Decompressor will usually be pretty evident as it will turn over once and stop. Turning it over for that long will give you a fuel smell. To my old ears it is turning over too slow.

Reactions: William Stern Jr.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Decompressor will usually be pretty evident as it will turn over once and stop. Turning it over for that long will give you a fuel smell. To my old ears it is turning over to slow.
I’m not to familiar with this rig, thought perhaps it’s the decompressor staying open. I’m a Kawasaki guy, my side by side has a stock 600watt stereo; can’t hear much after I’ve warmed it up!

·
Administrator
38,969 Posts
Did you measure the fuel pressure with a gauge?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Note that sometimes it starts after just a few turns, this time extra long cranking was needed. The year model is 2012. I will calibrate TPS next.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Perhaps the decompressor is not closing correctly upon first startup, its staying open to long; thus the smell of fuel. Be careful not to crank engine over to long, you may overheat your starter. I was told by my A/C mechanic if my snowmobile doesn’t start immediately, let it rest with the key off for 3-5 seconds before trying to start again; ECU needs time to recalibrate. Good luck. 🤔
Note that sometimes it starts after just a few turns, this time extra long cranking was needed. The year model is 2012. I will calibrate TPS next.
TPS was correct:

·
Registered
4,680 Posts
Try keeping it on a "battery tender". My 700 TRV will turn over but fail to start if it sets for a few days, even with a new battery or if the battery gets old. Suspect the 1000 is no different. As long as I keep it on a battery tender, starts perfect.

·
Administrator
38,969 Posts
Sorry I thought you meant it did it all the time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Try keeping it on a "battery tender". My 700 TRV will turn over but fail to start if it sets for a few days, even with a new battery or if the battery gets old. Suspect the 1000 is no different. As long as I keep it on a battery tender, starts perfect.
The battery seems healthy, but I will for sure try that!

·
Registered
4,680 Posts
May not be the battery, but my 700 will tun over like that and not start if the battery is not perfect. Have thought about fitting a larger car battery in the same location as my 700 Diesel Cat,

1 - 15 of 15 Posts