Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1997 Powder Extreme.......

I picked up this thumb warmer to keep my GPS warm because the battery charging circuit doesn't like the cold.

https://www.denniskirk.com/thumb-warmer-lm4500.p3923.prd

I connected it to the accessory plug next to the speedo & tach cluster that measures 12 AC. This is the same port, used to power the AC to DC rectifier, for the GPS.

The thumb warmer gets maybe luke warm at best.

Do thumb warmers Need to be powered by DC only?

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
When I plug my gps in the back light comes on, that keeps the screen plenty warm.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My Nuvi back light is not enough to keep it alive. About 1 hour out, the low battery alert will come on, even when plugged in. I've tried the chemical warms and they do increase battery life by 2x's. But they loose warmth quickly and the low battery alarm comes back.

Would like to know if the AC voltage is causing the thumb warmer to not heat properly.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
62 Posts
Not to hyjack your thread, but the thumb warmer (brand new) on my 98 EXT 580 EFI deluxe is too hot even on low. The original one got so hot that it melted the solder on the element. How can I add more in line resistance to tone it down a tad?

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The warmer doesn't care if it is AC or DC. All the warmer is basically a piece of resistance wire.
Thanks. That's what I thought. I'm going to try a different thumb warmer. I bought 2. Perhaps one is defective. Sometimes N.E.W. means, never, ever, worked!:wacko::lol:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts