Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was out riding last night and had a little excitement. At about 30 miles/ hour the front right tire caught an old piece of fencing hidden under the snow and stopped dead. The atv whipped right and tipped up on its left tires and catapulted me off. I was real lucky and landed on my back about 10 feet away in about 6 inches of snow. It happedned awfully quick and my buddy couldn't stop laughing (if it was him I would have done the same). I had the wind knocked out of me and my back is a little bruised but I walked away. Good thing for the helmet when I hit the ground the back of the helmet hit pretty hard and I almost got my ankles up behind my ears LOL. Could have been alot worse. Pretty sore this morning.

I couldn't see anything wrong with the bike once we got it untangled from the fence and rode it back to my buddies place about 30 mins away and it seemed to handle fine. We are getting together for another ride today and I will give it another once over to see anything was damaged.

Ride safe!!

WC

·
Registered
167 Posts
I did something similar when I first bought my Cat, although at much slower speeds so about all I did was land on my back. Almost a full front flip over the bars. It's on GrindTV

Freaked me out at first but I continued to ride the rest of the day. The Outlander 800 on the far side though........ he blew a rear tire off the rim, collapsed the rear swing arm, broken plastics, etc. The ass-end just completely collapsed. He limped back to the truck & took it in to the dealer only to be fully rejected.

·
Registered
279 Posts
happened to me also, touring along atv in front broke thru ice ( 8" water under ).
hit the brakes and bike went side ways ,left frnt/rear wheels caught and launched me about 15 ft onto ice surface,slidn into old stump .
was some sore after that!!. what a feeln knowin whats gonna happin and theres nothin you can do but ride it out.

:beer_cheers:

·
Premium Member
1,097 Posts
Good to hear your OK and wearing the brain bucket. I got thrown from mine doing about 35+, broke a few ribs but managed, painfully, to ride the rest of the day. The bike only had scratches from the incident. I of course continued to hear about not being able to stay on my machine for the next six months from my Honda buddies.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Glad to hear that you weren't hurt. Good for you in chosing to wear your gear.

Any update on the quad?

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bike seems fine. Went for a good long ride today with no issues alignment seems good to the eye and no visible damage around the front tire that I was afraid of. We were laughing about it today on the ride but I still know I got off real lucky.
Mild headache, sore shoulders to a$$ but nothing broke. I think a case of beer and the superbowl tommorrow will fix me right up.

WC

·
Registered
232 Posts
dang I have had a few similar incidents this winter on my ATV and a Sled...

today for example I am sore as a motorscooter :D

Sled sitting outside for a week and I was warming it up tried to move it and the tracks were a little stuck to the ice and snow.. so I gave it more gas.. it broke free and I flew over ther windshield and got tore up a little it was funny after the fact but still sore... my buddy like yours was rolling after that happend..

·
Premium Member
1,006 Posts
Just a reminder for all of us on how quick things can happen. Glad to hear you're ok and that you were wearing your helmet!

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Good to hear you are alright minus a few bruises walkingcrow thumbguy Isn't it funny how a friend always seems to be there to laugh at you when you have a little spill at any time :lol:

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (walkingcrow @ Feb 3 2007, 01:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Was out riding last night and had a little excitement. At about 30 miles/ hour the front right tire caught an old piece of fencing hidden under the snow and stopped dead. The atv whipped right and tipped up on its left tires and catapulted me off. I was real lucky and landed on my back about 10 feet away in about 6 inches of snow. It happedned awfully quick and my buddy couldn't stop laughing (if it was him I would have done the same). I had the wind knocked out of me and my back is a little bruised but I walked away. Good thing for the helmet when I hit the ground the back of the helmet hit pretty hard and I almost got my ankles up behind my ears LOL. Could have been alot worse. Pretty sore this morning.

I couldn't see anything wrong with the bike once we got it untangled from the fence and rode it back to my buddies place about 30 mins away and it seemed to handle fine. We are getting together for another ride today and I will give it another once over to see anything was damaged.

Ride safe!!

WC[/b]
Just out of curiosity, did you remove the fence wire that caused your mishap? It's always a good idea to take care of traps on the trail as soon as possible. If not, it just might get you or someone else again. Good to hear you came out of it OK. Your helmet may have saved your life. Sometimes, it doesn't take much to sustain serious if not fatal results from skull injury.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts