Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So me and ZRTManic were discussing on msn about an issue with my 1996 zrt 600. Its more of a power loss issue. First attempt. So I start up the sled, it idles at the very start at about 2500 rpm. Shifts down to a good 1400 - 1900, now once its warmed up and idleing low I hit the throttle slowly and start off, which takes about 5000 rpm for it to move. Now once I get going and hit the throttle and it like bogs out around anywhere between 3000-6000 rpm. It sounds like the thorttle is being hit and let go randomly. It keeps my speed low until I hit 6000 rpm and it roars to life again and will hit around 7000 rpm and a little more at good operating speed.

Ok so second attempt. I go back out to try and clear it out, once it does about almost the exact same as the first time. But it actually starts to clear out a little. It could run good up to about 5000 rpm and than it would spit up a little and run good until 6000 rpm and spit up a little more. Than once again clears out, now I did this about 3 times and pretty soon it was almost back to normal expect it would bog out about twice at full throttle when my rpm was climbing.

So than I parked it and than came back out for a third and final try. I loaded it up and was doing good again and would do about the same. But I paid more attention the rpm as long as I could as I had to watch were I was going cause I didnt have an open area. Now I noticed when I hit 7000 rpm almost exactly, the thing would kick back to 6000 really fast, which would explain my werid power loss noises. Now I realised w.e is causeing my rpm to kick back 1000 rpm is why its bogging like so. I noticed the rpm climb again and once it hits 6000 it will kick back to about 5500 rpm and climb back up. Almost like the belt is slipping or something....

So now after discussing this with ZRTManic he said he had almost the same problem and he said he did something with a Throttle overrider. Just wondering what to do. My dad said it could also be a messed up plug that the spacing messed up. Please help.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well do u know how do disable it??? lol

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
It sounds like the infamous Throttle Safety Switch. The TSS is supposed to prevent the sled from starting if the carbs slides are frozen open to an extent that would permit the the engine runat higher then engagement RPM, resulting in the sled taking off on it own. The system is made up of a switch in the throttle block and magnetic switches on the carbs. When the system acts up it causes sporatic interuption of the ignition, at engine speeds above engagement RPM, just like you described. There is a three prong connector near the base of the handle bars, may be under the pad, that can be disconnected and that should bypass the TSS. I believe they by 96 they changed the ignition from normally open to closed, or vice versa, an you do not require a bypass plug bypass the system. With the plug undone the kill switch will also be disabled, but it will allow you to test if that is infact the problem. The typical fix for when this sytem fails is to replace the plastic washers / bushings on the throttle pivot pin. Many other will tell you to remove the center contact from the three prong connector, or disable it by placing heat shrink tubing over the prong. That will eliminate the TSS feature and restore the kill switch operation. Do the test to see if that is the problem and then decide if want to eliminate the throttle safety switch altogether, or fix it.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hmmm. I unplugged it and the sled wouldnt even start up :(

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CodyG @ Jan 16 2007, 11:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
hmmm. I unplugged it and the sled wouldnt even start up :([/b]
Well... I guess you need the bypass plug.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Whats a bypass plug?

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Now when I unplug thsi wat wires do I connect to make the circut complete? ZRTManic said to splic some wires and connect them. He isnt near his sled tho so he cant tell me which ones. Please help :p

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CodyG @ Jan 16 2007, 03:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Now when I unplug thsi wat wires do I connect to make the circut complete? ZRTManic said to splic some wires and connect them. He isnt near his sled tho so he cant tell me which ones. Please help :p[/b]
You jump the enclosed connector to the centre, exposed, connector. You can use a loop of wire and just stick the ends, strip the insulation from the ends first, and wrap it with tape to hold it together for the test. If that is the problem, then you can get a proper plug end if you want.

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
The official Arctic Cat Bypass Plug for the 96 ZRT is part No. 0709-5-057. FWIW. Take a look on Brown's microfische under "Handlebar Assembly"

Link

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Another thing to check before you go any farther. There is a brown wire down by the recoil that comes out of the wire loom and bolts to the bulkhead. Make sure the wire isnt broke up inside the insulation at the eyelet

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Anyone know where to get a good diagram, preferabley a photo. I am going to let me dad do that, he knows far more on mechanics than I do, he just isnt a snowmobiler.

·
Registered
262 Posts
check down on your carbs, there should be wires coming from your carb if you disconnect that your problem might go away..there should be one set of wires per carb just pull the connector apart and go

But it could also be the washers on the throttle that are worn that tends to happen a lot

i would try and see if the carb thing makes it go away because as far as i know if you unplug them it wont change anything but the disrupter

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Will try that, I also read that if u put some heat shrink wrap or something over the middle prong connect and connect them the killswitch will still work and all. I will go try that carb thing quick.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes guys it worked. I unplugged it and it rides even better then b4. The skis come off the ground. There was one thing that kinda concerned me a tiny bit even tho I dont think it will cause much. It idles at about 2500 RPM, I am goin to ride around for abit and see if it goes down. Also after there unplugged do I just let it sit like that or is there another thing to do?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.