Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last spring my stock pipe cracked and had chunks fall out, so I ended up with an Aaen pipe for a 94 ZR 580. My clutching components were all stock, except for the roller cover on the secondary. Yellow/green primary spring, 47.5g weights, yellow secondary spring in middle hole and 53* helix. The roller cover cost me a couple RPM on top, when I first installed, but the cylinder porting I did a couple years ago got me back to 8500 RPM peak.

The stock RPM's for the 94 ZR 580 are 4500 engagement and 84 - 8500 peak. The new pipe is tuned to shift at 8000 - 8300 and they call for engagement at 4000, which seems too low to me. The pipe is supposed to be good for around a 5 - 6 HP bump and the porting was thought to be in the range of 8HP. My best guess would say the engine may now be in the range of 108 HP, up from the original 95 - 96 HP.

The primary is an AC 9 tower. My first guess at parts is 50.5g and an Orange/White (Orange/Black) Cat spring. Is that going to be enough to bring the peak down with the extra output the engine now has? I may also be looking at a 57-50 helix and Red/White spring for the secondary. Do any of the clutching gurus have any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is no way I'm going to spin this engine to 8800, especially with a pipe tuned to 8000 - 8300. The bottom end has blown apart once, and I don't want to give up that much power by over revving it. Hugh once told me that he used run 50g weights and Orange/White spring in stock '95+ ZR 580's with good results. I'm just hoping to reduce my time, cost and inconvenience in playing with this new set up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts