Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well with having plenty of time right now to think about things I've been throwing some idea's around on what my DVX needs for general maintence and also ways to make it run and perform better. I've been wondering if craming more air into my motor will help it out any and if its worth it :devil_angry:

My current setup is a K&N powerlid, blocked of stock snorkle, K&N Filter and full Pro Circuit exhaust on a stock internal motor. The huge benefit to this is that any air going into the engine is filtered via 2 K&N filters (the lid and filter). When I installed the K&N powerlid I removed the stock intake snorkle and plugged the hole with actaully a spray paint can cover :lol:

Now while there is plenty of potential for more air by uncorking the snorkle hole but then also losing alot of the air filtration by the air not going through the K&N lid. What I thinking is to add maybe a D&D bullseye into the end of the spray can cap or just remove the cap completely and just put an outerwear or pantyhose over the snorkle hole.

The D&D bullseye would add some filtration but still not max airflow, how resrictive it would still be I'm not sure, its gotta be better though. My only concern with just running panty hose over the snorkle hole is that the engine will pull majority of the air from the less resrictive spot (pantyhose covered hole ;) :lol: ) and not the lid, making it somewhat usless I dunno

Anyone have any thoughts on this or better idea's to add some more good clean air into the mixture? Thanks

[attachment=61713:DSC00034.jpg]

Attachments

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
air+fuel+spark/timing=horsepower.
i personaly don't think you will get too many more ponies but allowing more air, with the powerlid and filter it is quite a bit more than stock. you running the stock cam? might want to consider that a possible next power upgrade along with porting/polishing at the same time.

you can take the airbox off but the carb is only going to allow so many cc's or volume of air in, and a airbox is basically a reserve/noise suppressor. just my 2c

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Why not remove the entire air box and put a clamp on air filter on the carb? Should get more air that way.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I'd go with the filter on the carb idea unless you have deep water concerns

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Removing the entire airbox is out of the question, I ride way to much mud, water, dust and dirt for that setup. Reason for the K&N lid and not just running no lid at all.
Kevin. I am still running stock cams,,,for now. Hoping to be able afford them this year. I wasn't looking for big HP increase as I know that is undoable with only adding a slight more air to the mixture.
Once the snow melts I'll probably just remove the cap, put a prefilter over the hole, rejet if needed and run it a few times and keep an eye on the dirt entering the airbox. If its to much then i'll plug the hole again and jet back down. While I am getting more air then the stock setup, theres always room for more :lol: just dont want to sacrifice some dirty air. I've grown to like the idea that any air my DVX breaths in gets filtered twice thumbguy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts