Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Check this out. I bought this sled a couple weeks ago ('00zr700). The crank snapped off at the clutch. I was pulling the clutch apart today and found this. I assuming this crack happened first loosening the clutch and causing wicked vibration until the crank finally snapped. At first I though maybe the came off at high speed on the previous owner the the banging around in the pan caused the crack, but the pan is fine, only some loose rivits where the belt guard attaches. I would have to assume if this thing came off at high rpm and banged around enough to cause that crack, it should have came out the side of the sled too. Let me know what you think.

·
Banned
2,108 Posts
Check this out. I bought this sled a couple weeks ago ('00zr700). The crank snapped off at the clutch. I was pulling the clutch apart today and found this. I assuming this crack happened first loosening the clutch and causing wicked vibration until the crank finally snapped. At first I though maybe the came off at high speed on the previous owner the the banging around in the pan caused the crack, but the pan is fine, only some loose rivits where the belt guard attaches. I would have to assume if this thing came off at high rpm and banged around enough to cause that crack, it should have came out the side of the sled too. Let me know what you think.
YES,
AN UNBALANCE OF 7 grams AT 4" RADIUS OR 4" FROM THE
CENTER OF A ROTATING PART CREATES CENTRIFUGAL FORCES EQUAL TO THE FOLLOWING RPM'S.
7 grams UNBALANCE = 7 POUNDS AT 2000 RPM
7 grams UNBALANCE = 15.8 POUNDS AT 3000 RPM
7 grams UNBALANCE = 28 POUNDS AT 4000 RPM
7 grams UNBALANCE = 43.8 POUNDS AT 5000 RPM
7 grams UNBALANCE = 63 POUNDS AT 6000 RPM
7 grams UNBALANCE = 112 POUNDS AT 8000 RPM
IN OTHER WORDS AT 8000 RPM YOU HAVE A 112 POUND WEIGHT SWINGING AROUND EACH AND EVERY REVOLUTION AT THE POINT OF UNBALANCE. THIS WEIGHT CAUSES VERY EXTREME VIBRATIONS IN WHICH DESTROY THE LIFE AND FUNCTION OF THE UNBALANCE COMPONENT AND ALL CONNECTING PARTS.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Check this out. I bought this sled a couple weeks ago ('00zr700). The crank snapped off at the clutch. I was pulling the clutch apart today and found this. I assuming this crack happened first loosening the clutch and causing wicked vibration until the crank finally snapped.
At first I though maybe the came off at high speed on the previous owner
the the banging around in the pan caused the crack, but the pan is fine, only some loose rivits where the belt guard attaches. I would have to assume if this thing came off at high rpm and banged around enough to cause that crack, it should have came out the side of the sled too. Let me know what you think.
If the clutch had come off at high RPM prior to the crank snapping, the belly pan and clutch guard would be wasted to say the least...

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ya, and they're fine, other than the mounting rivits for the belt guard being a little loose. The crank must have snapped at low rpm or idle.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts