Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all i was wondering if there were any thing or problems i should look for when buying used. i will always check the compression and overall inspection. where there any problems with 98-02 tcats that i should be aware of?

thanks all

·
Premium Member
15,413 Posts
Waterpump & counter-balancer bearings:

If the waterpump has a drip of coolant hanging on the weep hole after it's been on a ride, the waterpump seals are toast. This means coolant will eventually migrate past the water pump seals to the mag bearing on the counter-balancer shaft. This will eventually destroy the bearing and it will eventually explode.

If the sled has been run 4500+ miles, change all four bearings on the counter-balancer and rebuild the waterpump with all brand new parts.

If a counterbalancer bearing lets go, it can take out the bottom half of the engine or more. It can end up a worthless aluminum rock or very expensive to repair.

That's the most important thing I can think of for the big triples, the rest of the engine is good... All the same as any other motor actually.

38 is the counter-balancer & bearings... 40 is the water pump impeller shaft. The counter-balancer & water pump spin as one unit.

·
Premium Member
15,413 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (93T-CAT @ Feb 28 2007, 10:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
so the bearings would be the ones labelled 30 and 31? well anything else?[/b]
Yes, those are the ones.

Other than that, it's just as good a sled as any...

Nothing really much different about T-Cats to worry about. Basic stuff like any other sled... Gotta watch for the usual stuff.

98s were AWS4 chassis, 99 and newer were AWS5. The 99 came with 41" stance, the 2000 & later were 43" stance. 2000 & later skids were better built than the earlier ones, more bracing, seem to take the pounding much better and live longer.

I have a 2000 skid in mine right now, had a 2001 before it, basically the same thing. The original 98 skid 'loosened up' no matter how many times I re-tighted & loc-tite all the threads. It just didn't have enough strength/bracing to take the punishment. Fine for the lake though.

98's would actually dyno at rated hp... 172. The newer ones wouldn't in stock form, needed to improve intake/exhaust flow & spark advance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts