Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
First off, Thanks to all of you guys for your help and input on this project, I have learned so much.

Just wanted to give a little status update on the project. The Kawasaki 440 went back together beautifully with new rings and a light hone. Full gasket set, cleaned and painted everything.
I got it mounted up and put the Mikuni on. Squirted a little pre-mix into the bowl inlet and carb and she fired on the third pull!

My inspiration is the sleds built by Chris Woods and his friend in Alaska. I got some 1/4" black polyethylene sheet and made ski extensions. Drilled and countersunk the holes to mount them, 9" wide now for extra floatation. 1980 Panther high-arch springs, and new slide pads. I also fabricated some 1.5" skid frame drop brackets from 1/4" thick aluminum, and shortened the skid mounts by 1/2" to fit between them. A couple of new cleats and a package of original "Cat Claws" round out the track work.

I'm in the process of finishing the fabrication of the seat riser and fuel tank enclosure. I'm using a 3.5 gallon outboard tank with quick disconnect fitting (anti-theft security feature: no gas, no ride!) I have a spare tank that will ride along on the back cargo area for longer rides.

I machined a set of custom 4" risers and homemade aluminum dash panel. The cowling is stripped and awaiting fresh paint and clearcoat at my friends bodyshop.

The tail light is a 70's honda CB550 unit that I had laying around. fabbed a couple of small brackets and put them on the reclaimed rear rack/grab bar.

The chassis was stripped and most of the belly pan rivets were drilled out and replaced. The skid frame was completely rebuilt with fresh paint, hyfax and a new shock.

I built a new electrical panel and completely rewired the sled, using new terminal blocks and wire.

Here are some pictures so far:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Have cool! Great Job!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Gunnsy.

I'm still a bit unclear about the output wiring on the motor, though. I'm using the CDI ignition from the '74 340 donor motor.
The wiring diagram that I have is a bit hard to follow, as it shows the two yellow wires as coming from the same coil. I marked one of the yellow wires as the one coming from the larger of the two coils (lighting coil, I assume) The brown wire is obviously just a chassis ground.
What is the difference between the two yellow wires then? Do I feed my lighting circuit ( with the regulator in line) with the output from the larger coil and run the tach off the smaller of the two?

As I understand it, the black and gray wires make up the kill switch circuit. (Normally open circuit, by closing this circuit, you ground the coil and stop the spark) correct?

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, I found a couple of threads that explained the output wiring a little better.
I fed my lighting circuit with the yellow wire from the larger of the two coils and grounded the other.

The black and gray wires are indeed the kill circuit.

I am going to try to use the currently grounded yellow one as my tach feed, as the tach is grounded as well. My thinking is that the tach will simply be in line with this line now.

Does that make sense?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts