Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's my story:

Well, after I put on about 500 miles, my tunnel was bent in the same place as other people had expierienced (I had posted this in in a seperate topic). In summary, it got bent due to riding some moguls and no rougher than I rode my '03 F7.

I took it into my dealer and showed him the sled and described how I was riding it. No BS. I told him that I was a little dissapointed in the sled and didn't feel that the way I rode it should have kinked the tunnel. It was only about a 5 minute conversation and he said he would look into it and see what he could do. A week and a half later, the sled was fully repaired with a new tunnel. My dealer got AC to cover approximately 80% of the cost to replace, but I was told that this was not done under warranty or recall (I am confused as to why they covered anything if it was not warranty, but I'm not complaining that the dealer supported me as well as he did). I did not have to bitch or complain to my dealer or make any annoying phone calls. He took my sled in, ordered all the parts and scheduled the repair even before he new how AC was going to support him, got AC to cover a majority of the cost, and got my sled back to me in time for my next ride.

I couldn't be more happy with the support I have received from my dealer, Dale's Motorsports in Devils Lake, ND, and would recommend him to anybody. With this major damage to the sled, he stepped up to the plate and took a proactive approach and got me back out on the trails. It's dealers like this that keep AC (or any other manufacturer) in business and I hope that AC takes note of this and recognizes their efforts.

However, with that being said, I couldn't be more dissapointed in AC. They have a design flaw that needs to be addressed.

One additional side note that I found interesting. Evidently AC recommended that the front arm spring on the rear suspension be adjusted to add some more preload. I wonder why??????????????? bang your head

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, I asked and they did not offer any and did not suggest any. I will be designing and building my own though.

For those who have built them, what material did you use?

·
Read Only
0 Posts
what did you have to pay for ?? did cat give you new tunnel, also what did the 80% of the cost mean ?? got new tunnel free and they coverd 80% of the laber ??

·
Registered
942 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (24K @ Feb 4 2007, 01:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
... I took it into my dealer and showed him the sled and described how I was riding it. No BS. I told him that I was a little dissapointed in the sled and didn't feel that the way I rode it should have kinked the tunnel. It was only about a 5 minute conversation and he said he would look into it and see what he could do. A week and a half later, the sled was fully repaired with a new tunnel. My dealer got AC to cover approximately 80% of the cost to replace, but I was told that this was not done under warranty or recall (I am confused as to why they covered anything if it was not warranty, but I'm not complaining that the dealer supported me as well as he did). I did not have to bitch or complain to my dealer or make any annoying phone calls. He took my sled in, ordered all the parts and scheduled the repair even before he new how AC was going to support him, got AC to cover a majority of the cost, and got my sled back to me in time for my next ride.

I couldn't be more happy with the support I have received from my dealer, Dale's Motorsports in Devils Lake, ND, and would recommend him to anybody. With this major damage to the sled, he stepped up to the plate and took a proactive approach and got me back out on the trails. It's dealers like this that keep AC (or any other manufacturer) in business and I hope that AC takes note of this and recognizes their efforts.

However, with that being said, I couldn't be more dissapointed in AC. They have a design flaw that needs to be addressed.

One additional side note that I found interesting. Evidently AC recommended that the front arm spring on the rear suspension be adjusted to add some more preload. I wonder why??????????????? bang your head[/b]
I've been following your posts.... I agree NOTHING BEATS A GOOD DEALER!!! :beer_cheers:

I do not have the bent tunnel issue as of yet. I was only able to ride 360 miles (40 + testing, 60 short trip & final 250 trip... 40 on 1 cylinder) in 8 days because the sled burned down twice. The first time was a bad fuel pump only producing 20 PSI (20 miles) and the second time was the ECU.

The dealer, Houlton AC who is a Chat Sponsor, supported and repaired the sled as fast as they could get parts. They requested an updated ECU from AC which wasn't ready. Cat told dealer to have me drive it like a dirt bike ... no cruising in the midrange. (See 07 XF 1000 ... Another review.) The dealer offered me a loaner sled while mine was down and being tested. 1st time I was ever offered a loaner for a warranty repair since I started riding again in 1989.

Anyway, I was glad to hear your tunnel has been repaired. I was wondering if you have had any troubles with your ECU. Do you know if your dealer/AC updated your ECU while it was in the shop having the tunnel repaired?

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (24K @ Feb 4 2007, 01:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
No, I asked and they did not offer any and did not suggest any. I will be designing and building my own though.

For those who have built them, what material did you use?[/b]

Mine are made out of Alum, .125 thick. I have a dxf file if you can use that let me know.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Old Cat Man @ Feb 4 2007, 08:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (24K @ Feb 4 2007, 01:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Mine are made out of Alum, .125 thick. I have a dxf file if you can use that let me know.
[/b][/quote]

I was curious as to the specific aluminum type and temper (i.e. 6013-T4, 2024-T0, etc). If you could send me the dxf file that would be great and I would appreciate it very much.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sno Pilot @ Feb 4 2007, 06:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Anyway, I was glad to hear your tunnel has been repaired. I was wondering if you have had any troubles with your ECU. Do you know if your dealer/AC updated your ECU while it was in the shop having the tunnel repaired?[/b]
I don't believe he did I have not had any troubles with the ECU, but I don't really care for the way it is mapped. It seems to be quite rich on the low end and after idling a while or when I am running at only part throttle it loads up. It's nothing that significantly affects performance, I just feel that it could be improved. At mid to WOT there aren't any issues.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ACBOY09 @ Feb 4 2007, 05:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
what did you have to pay for ?? did cat give you new tunnel, also what did the 80% of the cost mean ?? got new tunnel free and they coverd 80% of the laber ??[/b]
I walked in the door with a sled with a bent tunnel and then walked out a week and a half later with a fully repaired sled in which AC covered ~80% of the total cost.

·
Registered
942 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (24K @ Feb 5 2007, 08:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sno Pilot @ Feb 4 2007, 06:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anyway, I was glad to hear your tunnel has been repaired. I was wondering if you have had any troubles with your ECU. Do you know if your dealer/AC updated your ECU while it was in the shop having the tunnel repaired?[/b]
I don't believe he did I have not had any troubles with the ECU, but I don't really care for the way it is mapped. It seems to be quite rich on the low end and after idling a while or when I am running at only part throttle it loads up. It's nothing that significantly affects performance, I just feel that it could be improved. At mid to WOT there aren't any issues.
[/b][/quote]

Mine went down both times in mid range. It was also pig rich on low end. My understanding of the remapping is you send your ECU and AC remaps with overnight turn around. I will know more this weekend when I head north to ride again.

BTW... thanks for the update. Ron :beer_cheers:

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (24K @ Feb 5 2007, 07:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Old Cat Man @ Feb 4 2007, 08:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (24K @ Feb 4 2007, 01:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

I was curious as to the specific aluminum type and temper (i.e. 6013-T4, 2024-T0, etc). If you could send me the dxf file that would be great and I would appreciate it very much.
[/b][/quote]

I'm pretty sure they are using 6061 T6 but I can double check if you want. And just send me an email so I can email you the dxf file I have.

[email protected]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts