Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone .I bought three helixs off ebay. the one i was after was a stock 53 002 part #. the others were in the listing. first one is a bm4 which i belive is a black magic. dose anyone know the angle on this helix?
the second is a really nice one . it is purple annodized and billit. anyone know who makes it?
also in looking at the three . bolt holes that hold helix in place are in diffrent positons compaired to the stock one. some enlighten me? thanks brian

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
well i tried these out last night. rebuilt sencondary new rollers and pin bushing were ok. all test were with blue spring that is stock in my z440 in third hole, i have a good size hill behind my houseand a big pile of snow out at front of drivway. 1/8 mile of road that was ice covered test was all done the same around the house up the hill down the hill , up road from dead stop, then to snow pile i do not have a tac yet so this is by ear.

test 1 clutch with the 53 helix that came in sled. sled moved at lower rpm than before rebuilt. hill was ok 1/8 mile about the same as before but transion was much smoother. climb the snow bank the same.

test 2 clutch with the new 53 helix. started to move at about the same rpm , hill lifted skis a little seemed to have more pull. 1/8 mile got up to speed in a shorter time . snow pile had more pull. [thoughts old helix had wear this may acount for this.]

test 3 bm4 moved at a little higher rpm hill pulled skis up about 2" going up the hill pulled only alittle harder the test 2. 1/8 mile was smoother than test 2 and to speed sooner as well. snow pile pulled sled about the same track spun a bit
[only a bit better than the 53 but it reacted diffrent]

test 4 the purple helix. it was hard to install. i had to rotate both sheves to get it in stalled. than it was like a pre load on the movable. it was a third turned when final installed. moved at a much higher rpm . hill did not pull hard till higher mid range rpm and lifted skis 3 to 4 " . 1/8 mile slow to start and than came on fast speed point was almost the same as test 2. snow pile spun the track quite hard more than in test 3
[ thinking of having mounting hole drilled the same as a stock one to see what that would doo. mid range and high rpm worked to well ]

next i am going to try a clutch set up i have been thinking about. i have been gathering parts over the winter. if the road is still ice tonight. i will post that as well brian

1 - 2 of 2 Posts