Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought an F7 a month or so ago and now I am looking for an F5 or F6 for the wife. I consider myself a patient individual so I am not in any real hurry. This morning, I just became frustrated bang your head so I thought I would post here to get it out a little. I am frustrated because I have found several sleds, none on this forum, that the individuals selling them want $1,000's more than what the sled even books for. You can try to explain to them out the wazzooo that they will never get that amount of money unless they come across a dummy and the chances of someone being that stupid is slim to none. Not to my surprise, they think I am full of s%^t and stick to their price. The F7 I bought is immaculate, at least from the pic's, (I haven't picked it up yet) and I paid an honest amount for the year and the condition. I found one F5 that I really wanted and it was priced right but it was in MN which was to far for me to drive :angry_mad: Here's another example, I saw a sled for sale on Ebay, it was a 570Z or something, and it was in really nice shape but all stock. They were asking $1000.00 over the book to start!! surrend. After the auction was over I looked at the best offers they recieved. Believe it or not they turned down an offer of $200 over the book value! Unfreaking believable!!!! I know we all love our sleds and that we all think they are worth more than they are but I think we need to realize that this is an expensive sport and what I put into a sled I don't expect to get out of the sled! Not that we should sell them for pennies but there needs to be a common ground and for some people there is none!

Thanks for letting me rant! :wacko:

·
Registered
594 Posts
yeah it all seems way off .I think the best time is when it's freaking 80 out and people start getting ansy about having thier sled sold to pay off a new one on order. I think patients will prevail because there always seems to be good deals out there . You might want to keep a check on summer events on the clubs up north web sites . Usually when the grass drags start you can find some there . Also since you're close enough Check out the big event at ESTA drag strip in Cicero and the drags in Ohio NY . Good luck keep us posted .

·
Registered
978 Posts
AMEN!

I agree 100%. Snowmobiles aren't made to last forever. That along with the amount of new technology constantly being introduced makes sleds obsolete very quickly. I guess those individuals asking a fortune for a 5 year old sled( antique by snowmobile standards) don't need my money.

·
Premium Member
5,566 Posts
So don't buy them

seems everyone thinks sleds should be giving away

yes I do agree some ask way too much

but hey its their sled right?

there are deals out there

I can almost guaranty I could sell my sled for more then I payed 2 yrs ago

How much would you pay for a 01 Zr600 with ripsaw and in decent shape???

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
So don't buy them[/b]
I don't....

seems everyone thinks sleds should be giving away[/b]
Absolutely not and I certainly did imply that either. What is frustrating is someone asking $5,900 for a 2004 Saber cat considering I can buy an 07 Firecat for less than a $1,000 more.

yes I do agree some ask way too much

but hey its their sled right?[/b]
Yes they do and these are the ones that this thread is discussing and yup it's their sled free to sit in the garage and depreciate some more...

there are deals out there[/b]
I am not looking for a "deal" I am simply looking for a solid sled at a reasonable price.

I can almost guaranty I could sell my sled for more then I payed 2 yrs ago

How much would you pay for a 01 Zr600 with ripsaw and in decent shape???[/b]
Dunno, if the right person comes along and really likes the sled then you most likely could get what you were asking. I am guessing, by the tone of your post, that it would be way more than I would be willing to spend.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I recently bought an 04 F5 w/ 1782 miles on it for $2750. I had been passing it every day on my way to work for over a month & was what I was looking for but figured they wanted a fortune for it. Curiosity finally got to me so I stopped to look @ it, was the guys wife's sled- MINT! Asked him what he wanted for it & what was the least he'd go on it after looking it over forever- told me $3150 but to make him an offer as they were selling it to get her a new sled for 08 (he had bought a new Z1) I could tell $$$$ wasn't a problem for him, just that feeling. I took down his number & told him I had to check with my wife (she don't ride so anything to do with a sled is :stop_nono: ). She said it was up to me so a few days later I stopped @ the bank after work, took 3K out of my "future" savings and showed up with cash in hand. Offered him the $2750 (but would have paid up to 3K) He said it was only going to get harder to sell it over the summer so it goes- Done deal, I loaded it on the truck and smiled all the way home! I got 1 ride of 42 miles on it before the last of the snow was gone, I'm more than happy with it. The right sled is out there & will come along, good luck :thumbsup: --Snotty

·
Premium Member
8,589 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snottysnopro440 @ Apr 29 2007, 09:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I recently bought an 04 F5 w/ 1782 miles on it for $2750. I had been passing it every day on my way to work for over a month & was what I was looking for but figured they wanted a fortune for it. Curiosity finally got to me so I stopped to look @ it, was the guys wife's sled- MINT! Asked him what he wanted for it & what was the least he'd go on it after looking it over forever- told me $3150 but to make him an offer as they were selling it to get her a new sled for 08 (he had bought a new Z1) I could tell $$$$ wasn't a problem for him, just that feeling. I took down his number & told him I had to check with my wife (she don't ride so anything to do with a sled is :stop_nono: ). She said it was up to me so a few days later I stopped @ the bank after work, took 3K out of my "future" savings and showed up with cash in hand. Offered him the $2750 (but would have paid up to 3K) He said it was only going to get harder to sell it over the summer so it goes- Done deal, I loaded it on the truck and smiled all the way home! I got 1 ride of 42 miles on it before the last of the snow was gone, I'm more than happy with it. The right sled is out there & will come along, good luck :thumbsup: --Snotty[/b]

9 times out of 10 cash in hand always wins. Good job on the buy. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
I got rid of our 2005 mxz this spring, I will say it is for sure a buyers market.

The guys that have used sleds and think your going to get big bucks for them are dreaming.
You might want to hold on to them and try to sell them if and when the market on used sleds comes back.

New left overs are all over out there in all brands, why do you think a used sled is going to command top dollar when somebody can by a new hold over for the what a used sled use to sell for?

If 2005 and 2006 used sleds (clean machines, not whipped junk) are selling in the 3000-4000 dollar range then the older sleds are going to sell for quite a bit less.

I think most will hold on to them rather then face the music as to what they are really worth right now in this "buyers market".

As far as what a six year old zr is worth, I don't think anybody would say as they don't want to get anybody upset.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Here in Newfoundland, a 2005 or 2006 left over sled will run ya $7000 to $9,000 (canadian) easy!!! Used sleds market here is huge!!! People try to low ball ya on the price but usually you get close to the price you want. When I see the prices you guys are buying your sleds at it blows me away!!

Example of used sleds here listed the last month in a local trading mag.

2005 F7 snopro EFI with 2000 miles .........$9,000.00
2003 F7 Snopro with 3000 miles.......$6,000.00
2003 F7 with Dalton clutch kit and studded track.....$6,500.00

How do ya like those prices!!! When I see these same sleds listed here for less than half the prices mentioned above it, it makes me turn a lovey shade of green to say the least!!

RR

·
Registered
68 Posts
I was also looking for a good deal on a F5,F6,or F7 for my wife.I could not find one so I got a new 2007 Ski Doo MXZ trail 500ss for $4990 plus tax on ebay.And it came with electric start.What 2007 cat could I get new for $4990.??????

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RowdyRoddy @ Apr 30 2007, 07:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Here in Newfoundland, a 2005 or 2006 left over sled will run ya $7000 to $9,000 (canadian) easy!!! Used sleds market here is huge!!! People try to low ball ya on the price but usually you get close to the price you want. When I see the prices you guys are buying your sleds at it blows me away!!

How do ya like those prices!!! When I see these same sleds listed here for less than half the prices mentioned above it, it makes me turn a lovey shade of green to say the least!!

RR[/b]
Wow, holy crap.. those are some high prices!

You could buy new hold overs here with a warranty for less then those prices...

looks like just the opposite here in the north east US..

Why do you think the prices are so much different, have you had good snowfalls that last 3 or 4 winters?
Thats the way it use to be here back when we had good winters year after year...

·
Registered
13,095 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CATnDOO @ Apr 30 2007, 09:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RowdyRoddy @ Apr 30 2007, 07:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

RR[/b]

Why do you think the prices are so much different, have you had good snowfalls that last 3 or 4 winters?
Thats the way it use to be here back when we had good winters year after year...
[/b][/quote]
1. Canadian currency is higher than American. Inflation costs rising very rapidly these days.

2. Not around in New York where you can find non-current sleds at the price. I know a few dealers who have had their prices set at last or previous year's prices.

3. Winters here aren't the same here as we both know it. Dealers need to make money off those sleds they're carrying. You know how it is with the manufacturers these days. Don't sell at their expectation(s) then the business is gone. Nelson's of Ontario, NY's done with Arctic Cat as I was told a few weeks ago stopping there checking out prices on new sleds.

4. I can not have my say when someone's trying to sell used sleds at a very high price. They have their own reasons as Buyers know when to make their final decision whether to buy or not.

5. I can honestly say that my next new sled will be my last. :(

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CATnDOO @ Apr 30 2007, 08:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RowdyRoddy @ Apr 30 2007, 07:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

RR[/b]

[/b][/quote]

We still got alot of snow in the woods. You got to trailer your sled but still great snow levels. We usually get a lot of snow but sometimes it's a little late getting here.

It just the way the market here is. Used sleds are very common and most dealers can't or wont give you a break on new sleds. My sled is second hand but it only had just over 1200 miles on her. When I upgrade I'll be looking for the same type of deal.

The big thing is Newfoundland is an island, where you have to take the ferry to go to the mainland or to the states. That in itself dictates the price of everything.

RR

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Everyone has pretty much summed up what I was trying to get at from the start. The area and conditions (or market) determines the selling price of a sled. I bought two 93 cat's this past year for $2,000 for both of them. I had the clutches rebuilt and bearings replaced which cost me $600.00 so I have $2,800 in both sleds. I am now trying to sell them. Will I or do I expect to get $2,800 out of them no I don't would I like to yes I would. Here is where reality set's in.. I am not going to get what I put into them and I know that... Bottom line is that, at least I believe, that once you add something to a sled the price of the sled does not go up the same amount as your extra's! Anyways, it is interesting since one local cat dealer has sleds sitting in crates 3 high and a yard full of cat's sitting just waiting for someone to come along and buy one.. I just can't imagine how these dealers are making any money on sleds. ATV's yes sleds..... not really

·
Premium Member
5,566 Posts
I am sure i could get at least $2500ca(2100us) for my 01 ZR6

I think that is a fair price I dunno

that is more then I paid

Point is if you are desperate for $$$$ you sell low

Hell I just missed a deal on a 98 Panther 440 ESR in great shape 5500miles for $400ca or $300us

Some old feller moving south

If you want a deal you just have to look harder or they will fall on your lap

·
Registered
978 Posts
I am sure i could get at least $2500ca(2100us) for my 01 ZR6

I think that is a fair price[/b]
That's a 7 year old machine! $2100.00? Not out of my pocket! You can find 03 or 04 firecat 700's for that price.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I believe it was stated on the blog by Jerry Bassett that non current models are outselling the current models. I believe it based on the people I ride with. These discounted prices have lowered the used sled prices as well.

I sold my two Cats in the fall of 2006. They were in good shape and below blue book. However, most of the offers I had were repulsive. My serious inquiries were few and I feel I was lucky to sell them.

I've bought my first used sled this year from a guy getting out of the sport. He had his in the paper in Superior, WI and hardly a call.

I think we will see more and more of this as gas prices go up and if the winters do not improve. If that trend continues I may never buy a new sled again because there will be plenty of low mileage used sleds at low prices.

Just my 2 cents...

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You can find 03 or 04 firecat 700's for that price.[/b]

Could you please refer me to the individual or individuals you know who are willing to part with a solid 03-04 Firecat for $2,100.00 Somehow I doubt they exist unless they need money to pay alimony or go to jail...

·
Registered
13,095 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dvarmit @ May 1 2007, 08:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Could you please refer me to the individual or individuals you know who are willing to part with a solid 03-04 Firecat for $2,100.00 Somehow I doubt they exist unless they need money to pay alimony or go to jail...[/b]
Not me...I wouldn't let it go for less than $4,000. :lol:

·
Registered
524 Posts
Left over 07 F8 are going for $8,345 (US) with 1 year warranty no miles
Left over 06 F7 are going for $7,624 (US) with 1 year warranty no miles
Left over 05 F7 are going for $6,600 (US) with 1 year warranty no miles

Keep these prices in mind when buying or selling a used sled this summer

1 - 20 of 64 Posts