Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was up in northern WI and the UP last week and hit the snow just right, again. Some of the best conditions....seems like my buddy and I are saying that every year, lol. This time 3 other friends of mine met us up there. We met groomers every day, and 4 in one day. The only thing that kept the trip from being perfect is it got in the 30's and sunny a couple days so the '01 Tcat was a little on the fat side, but really came to life at night. During the day on the lake, it was all I could do to keep up with the Attak, but different story at night.

Since I have the GPS, I was the leader. On the second evening, I noticed the Attak and the Doo 1200 Renegade taking turns being second. It caught my attention, but never thought more of it. When we settled in for the night, the Doo rider said he and the Attak rider were taking turns behind me, to see if either one could keep up with me in trails, lol. na na He made the comment "when we get in the woods, you're gone!" Both of the guys are very experienced, so the difference has to be the sleds. I have loved the ZR chassis since I bought my '01 ZR 800, and feel the same with my '01 Tcat. The thing just rails and goes wherever I point it. It's really too bad Cat can't repeat this chassis' success with the new Procross sleds. I was jealous of the mileage of the 4-stroke Yammi and Doo though.

I did ride a new turbo F snopro last week and have to say that seating position really did feel great. Needless to say, the power was great too. Even though the problem threads with these new sleds scare the crap out of me, I've put my '01 up for sale with the intent of getting a turbo next season (prob a leftover 12 or 13). I may sell the '98 also, although I should prob hold on to that in case I get one of the bad turbo sleds. One thing I'd have in my favor with a new turbo sled, is I have one heck of a dealer and I feel that's very important when it comes to having issues with a new sled. From what I have gathered, about a grand in aftermarket shaft, gears, and chain is what it takes to keep the turbos from falling apart and blowing belts.

Just wondering what any of you have to say who have experience with the big triples and new turbos. I'm kinda gun-shy of giving up my rock solid triples for a new turbo that may or may not hold up, but am looking forward to the rider position for my aging body, improved fuel mileage, and spot-on performance regardless of temps. Am also considering leftover '11 Z1 turbo sno pro's.

Attachments

·
Banned
122 Posts
Comeing from a 2010 Z1 EXT to a 2013 XF1100 turbo I have to say ride quality it way better on the 2013. The 2010 was very heavy and cumbersome in the turns. I only owned that sled for one season before I sold it. The one thing I can say is that the the 2010 was very user friendly to work on and very confidence inspireing in the reliability catagory. The 2013 is a great sled, pain to work on and maybe not the most reliable, but tons of fun to ride. If I were you Id get a 2014 hopefully they will have them dialed in by then.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I still have my awesome T-Cat, there is nothing like the old triple's!
I had an '07 F1000, sled ran good,rode good, and handled good. I swapped that in on a '12 Turbo Retro and the sled is awesome! Rides and handles great, and pulls like a damn freight train.
This is the first sled I've had since '99 that I would consider getting rid of my T-Cat. I still love to ride it on the lakes, but after the ride of the F1100T, I'm sure the T-cat won't make it back to the trail.
Ride one, you'll like it!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts