Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

The New Arctic Cat Alterra 600

13K views 99 replies 10 participants last post by  Parshath77 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Looks good , too bad they didn’t come out with an 800 with 85-90 hp.

#3 ·
Nice to see something new. 45HP, that's gotta be close to the 700 isn't it?

Its exciting but I'd like to see AC stop the tracker crap. Why couldn't this be the new cat and leave the old models to tracker. And yeah, would have been great to go back swinging with a v-twin 850.

And again, why does AC do this, composite racks on only the top trim. All this does is make the sales of speed rack accessories lower and thus the cost higher. AC still has the highest priced oem quick release trunk on the market. That's no small feat with Can-Am being the wallet rapists they are.

Anyhoo, glad to see maybe Textron hasn't put the final nail in the AC coffin. That Garmin option looks pretty cool.

Sent from my SM-A715W using Tapatalk

#97 ·
Nice to see something new. 45HP, that's gotta be close to the 700 isn't it?

Its exciting but I'd like to see AC stop the tracker crap. Why couldn't this be the new cat and leave the old models to tracker. And yeah, would have been great to go back swinging with a v-twin 850.

And again, why does AC do this, composite racks on only the top trim. All this does is make the sales of speed rack accessories lower and thus the cost higher. AC still has the highest priced oem quick release trunk on the market. That's no small feat with Can-Am being the wallet rapists they are.

Anyhoo, glad to see maybe Textron hasn't put the final nail in the AC coffin. That Garmin option looks pretty cool.

Arctic Cat dropped the 600. I’ve been seeing some tidbits revealed the last few days on it from Tracker. Thoughts? Speculation? What engine is this? What do you think?

See it here: All-New Alterra 600 | Arctic Cat

Arcticfrost
I’m looking to buy the 2023 alterra, was wondering if anyone knew of any options to cover the inner front wheel wells. You can see the battery clearly from the front tire, looks like it could cause trouble during winter. Anyone have problems with this?

#12 ·
The back storage is missing. Mind you it needed work. It was the only flimsy part of the Alterra's imo. And the angle made stuff staying in when you opened it kind of crappy. But it was a good spot for a strap and shackles.

The diff locker [emoji849] there is no excuse for 3 wheel drive. Cat had probably the best locker switch. So easy. It took Can-Am forever to finally have a proper diff locker and the very same year AC removes it. Probably to keep the tracker prices lower.

And it really really irks me that you can always find more about AC these days from tracker over AC.

#8 ·

From Tracker’s site it looks like the gas tank is down in the middle of the ATV, clutch is out back of the engine and the exhaust runs out the center of the rear.
The rear has me scratching my head..as if the designers didn’t know what to do there.

Arcticfrost

#10 ·
The weight is too far back. She is going to be light in the front end. Good for wheelies but sucks for climbing.

#11 ·
Gas tank looks to be just behind the front wheels and very low, so probably not too bad for climbing and terrible for wheelies.

The back is kinds vlx, the storage is like a trv, the front wheel well is very Alterra, and a new front end. Which I thought the Alterra already looked good. But this isn't bad either.

#14 ·
I'm liking that they kept the handle bars uncluttered. Lots of accessory room. I also like the 27" tires.

The clutch is in a bit of an odd spot, but probably no more plastics removal than normal for maintenance.

I like the mud holes in the foot wells, hopefully they are still very sturdy.

I'd go check one out, but I'd definitely want the comp racks and the garmin display.

#16 ·
I like everything about it. The racks I already have and they look nice. Isnt as easy to secure something to it though. The hp numbers are close to my '17 700. I'd like to ride one with the new design. Maybe I'd get one??

Reactions: Parshath77
#17 ·
I am also considering it but I need more specs! Lol! At first it was looking good and I checked around to find more info on it and saw it didn’t have a locker. But that may be able to swap from the previous models...I just need a bit more info to know if they’re still on the same diff.
There is a company that would make a locker for it if there’s enough interest.

Arcticfrost

#19 ·
It doesn't list a locker but it might have it anyway. Seems either textron is being idiots again trying to save 2 nickels or they forgot to list it. The tracker brand and some bare bones cats didnt have lockers, but that was planned to keep costs down. If they left the locker off on purpose, I'd like to have a beer or 2 with the CEO at textron.

Reactions: ArcticFrost
#20 ·
It doesn't list a locker but it might have it anyway. Seems either textron is being idiots again trying to save 2 nickels or they forgot to list it. The tracker brand and some bare bones cats didnt have lockers, but that was planned to keep costs down. If they left the locker off on purpose, I'd like to have a beer or 2 with the CEO at textron.
No locker, you can see on the top of the 4x4 switch that it doesn't show the locker option, just 2x4 and 4x4

#21 ·
If they offer it as a "kit" afterwards, they would sell em for sure. If they are selling them pre-order only, like the sleds, maybe its an option?

#24 ·
Looks very sweet, however seems like not much has changed in 10+ years practically. The main things I like are 4x4 with locker, EFI, power steering. None of these new machines are worth exchanging my 2010 model for. I can't think of any option I would like actually, other then an electric ATV and Side by Side. Too bad Polaris is getting there first. :( You would think with Textron owning those golf carts they would have the upper hand.

#25 ·
Looks very sweet, however seems like not much has changed in 10+ years practically. The main things I like are 4x4 with locker, EFI, power steering. None of these new machines are worth exchanging my 2010 model for. I can't think of any option I would like actually, other then an electric ATV and Side by Side. Too bad Polaris is getting there first. :( You would think with Textron owning those golf carts they would have the upper hand.
So you really don't like riding very far I will assume. EV powered ATV or SXS are not going to be range kings and to be honest, where in the woods are you going to charge it, or are you going to bring along your gas generator?

#26 ·
Correct, I don't ride for more than 20 miles at a time. 99% of my use is around my 2 acre house, and back 1/2 mile behind my house to my hunting land. Electric would be perfect, as no noise for the deer as well.

#30 ·
I'm not saying an electric ATV/UTV would be better for everyone because of the enviroment, but in my view an electric ATV/UTV would be better for me and mean I can ride right up to the deer stand (as they are as quiet as walking), never have to worry about having gas cans around, never worry about carb/fuel system getting plugged because of sitting, and no more messy motor oil.

#31 ·
Im sure there is one on the drawing board as we speak. Years ago Cat came out with an ATV with a built in generator on board. "Came out" but never released. It was around 350 cc's and the atv motor turned/powered the generator. A builder could just drive his "generator" to the job, plop it in neutral and plug into the 110/120 volts. Seemed like it would be a hit. With the newer battery technology, its only a matter or time before an all electric ATV is released. Perhaps a hybrid? Some catch on and others dont. The Chevy "Volt" seemed like it would corner the market but that didnt happen.

#32 ·
The white looks good. Personally I like the 12” wheel size over the 14” on atvs and prefer the Speedrack II over the bars. Looks like the front diff is different than previous models. I wonder how accessible the engine is for maintenance? Remove the side panels and rear wheels probably.

More pics...

Arcticfrost

#36 ·
When your low on fuel she will be a wheelie machine. Hard to keep the nose down in the steep terrain out here in the Rockies.

#38 ·
Time will tell. Are you not assuming now?
50 lbs of weight transfer on a 60 degree climb is far from irrelevant.

#40 ·
The engineers didn’t do so well on older versions that had such a high c of g that they flipped easily.
I was just making an observation based on many years of riding. It’s MY opinion, I’m not trying to state a fact. Chill
Assumption is the mother of all evil.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.