Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
61 - 80 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
998 Posts
The new 600 will appeal to casual riders and entry level folks. It will have a niche in the market and probably sell fine. But the lack of features will make it harder to attract experienced Riders. It's not an Alterra.

With that said, I'd like the opportunity to ride one. I am curious about how this chassis will handle since everything is laid out in an unconventional way. I would also like to see how the new 600 runs.
From your previous post, what machine has standard storage to hold all of that gear? The reason for no locker on these models is a shortage of parts. Storage bags will more than cover your storage issues and the upper level models do come with the plastic covers on the racks but that has no appeal to me what so ever. You can get mounts for Chain Saws btw and why would you even think about tossing one on the rack plastic or otherwise? I am all in on this quad!

·
Registered
169 Posts
From your previous post, what machine has standard storage to hold all of that gear? The reason for no locker on these models is a shortage of parts. Storage bags will more than cover your storage issues and the upper level models do come with the plastic covers on the racks but that has no appeal to me what so ever. You can get mounts for Chain Saws btw and why would you even think about tossing one on the rack plastic or otherwise? I am all in on this quad!
What has standard storage, my Alterra, King Quad, Kawasaki, Can-Am, Polaris, Honda, pretty much all do.

I keep my shackles, ropes, etc in back storage. Rack storage I have AC waterproof rack bags. The flat surface makes a solid foundation for them too. But in those I keep gloves, lunch, air compressor, stuff that must be dry and or too big for the back storage.

I thinks it'll be a good machine, and if it fits your needs, awesome. My point is, this is a crazy tough business that is also experiencing a boom. So if they are going to release a new machine, it should be very competive so that consumers will come to your brand. Us here, we all like AC already, we'll likely buy AC again.

As for part shortages, that's not the reason, everyone else isn't dropping diff lockers. The real reason is cheap IMG out. And likely to cater to Tracker wanting low costs. So removing from the AC brand too only leaves a difference if what stickers are on it. Not to mention Textron dropped the locker when Tracker happened and before covid.

I'm from automotive, so I'll stick to my experience on why there is no diff lock in my opinion.

I do have a Cat dealer 5 min away, so I'm hoping to see a tip model in the floor soon, but with covid, all ATV'S sell faster than they come in.

Sent from my SM-A715W using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,479 Posts
We spend weeks doing trail work in the fall and a chain saw is always bungje strapped to the front rack for easy access. Cats rack covers provide grip and great protection for the saw. It's a great setup.

The rear cargo compartments of my Alterra and Outlander are plenty large enough to hold all of my winching supplies. I am very pleased at how well those compartments are sealed. They rarely get wet, just a bit dusty.

@ZR6000 Are you really buying in to story that there's no parts available for the locker even on their media demo units? Is that also the reason for using a nearly 15-20 year old gauge on it as well?

Like I said, it's an entry level atv. It'll be fine for what it's intended to be. But it's not an Alterra......

·
Registered
998 Posts
We spend weeks doing trail work in the fall and a chain saw is always bungje strapped to the front rack for easy access. Cats rack covers provide grip and great protection for the saw. It's a great setup.

The rear cargo compartments of my Alterra and Outlander are plenty large enough to hold all of my winching supplies. I am very pleased at how well those compartments are sealed. They rarely get wet, just a bit dusty.

@ZR6000 Are you really buying in to story that there's no parts available for the locker even on their media demo units? Is that also the reason for using a nearly 15-20 year old gauge on it as well?

Like I said, it's an entry level atv. It'll be fine for what it's intended to be. But it's not an Alterra......
That is what has been said so no reason to not believe and I have never used nor had a locker on my quads. The gauge has everything you need on it. My guess is chip shortage is keeping it from getting a fancy dancy looking gauge. It is a Quad for cripes sake! My 2002 has a speedo and lights for everything else. Ride one before you judge. I am pretty impressed by what I have seen so far. Cant wait to give one a spin!

·
Registered
271 Posts
You guys are wasting your time trying to reason with Mr 6000, AC can do no wrong in his eyes.

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
998 Posts
You guys are wasting
They can and have but you are complaining about storage when the older Alterra had 1.4 gallons to the new having 0.6. Seems trivial at best. The new Engine dictated how the exhaust is placed it seems and styling is in a personal taste thing. Betting your coffee is always to hot and your ice cream is to cold. You all wanted new and when they do the same ones complain about it because it is different.

·
Registered
169 Posts
They can and have but you are complaining about storage when the older Alterra had 1.4 gallons to the new having 0.6. Seems trivial at best. The new Engine dictated how the exhaust is placed it seems and styling is in a personal taste thing. Betting your coffee is always to hot and your ice cream is to cold. You all wanted new and when they do the same ones complain about it because it is different.
And no other manufacturer has issues putting storage in. And they designed it, so they created the issue. At the end of the day they removed features. They have to accept people will not be impressed.

Look at Polaris, they can't be shocked everyone complains about 1 1/4 hitches and seats that float away because the big bores have pins. It the cheap 450 has a locking latch.

Storage is always a topic in reviews, and for good reason, not everyone wants a grandpa trunk on the rack. And .6 to 1.4 is not trivial, that's 2.33x smaller, which means it can hold a cell phone and your papers. Might be pushing to get a wallet in too.

This is manufacturing, anything is possible, everything is done to minimize cost and increase profits. If you think an engineer can't add a storage box and heat shield, you don't know automotive engineering.

·
Registered
998 Posts
And no other manufacturer has issues putting storage in. And they designed it, so they created the issue. At the end of the day they removed features. They have to accept people will not be impressed.

Look at Polaris, they can't be shocked everyone complains about 1 1/4 hitches and seats that float away because the big bores have pins. It the cheap 450 has a locking latch.

Storage is always a topic in reviews, and for good reason, not everyone wants a grandpa trunk on the rack. And .6 to 1.4 is not trivial, that's 2.33x smaller, which means it can hold a cell phone and your papers. Might be pushing to get a wallet in too.

This is manufacturing, anything is possible, everything is done to minimize cost and increase profits. If you think an engineer can't add a storage box and heat shield, you don't know automotive engineering.

Well where would you put such storage on this new machine then? Cant do it in the back as the new motor design eliminated that. Tell us where it could go! My 02 has this little thing on the back that I never use. I use a tank bag for my wallet and phone and a storage bag on the back rack. Hell I could go camping for a weekend with the room it has.

·
Premium Member
2,479 Posts
Jim - you're delusional. Only you would believe that offering fewer features at the same price is going to motivate buyers.

Be realistic- To bring in new customers and increase market share, Cat needs a home run. What does this 600 bring to the table compared to the competition? There's very little about the 600 that will appeal to buyers and make it stand out compared to its competitors. Competition is stiff- and Textron has seemingly built an ATV for the Tracker market. Cat faithful like yourself will at least look at it. If they want a full featured ATV, then they will migrate towards the Alterra. The new 600 will appeal to light users, and new entry level riders- what seemingly is Tracker's target audience.

To try and compare your 20 year old '02 Cat to a '22 is comical and undermines your credibility.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Jim - you're delusional. Only you would believe that offering fewer features at the same price is going to motivate buyers.

Be realistic- To bring in new customers and increase market share, Cat needs a home run. What does this 600 bring to the table compared to the competition? There's very little about the 600 that will appeal to buyers and make it stand out compared to its competitors. Competition is stiff- and Textron has seemingly built an ATV for the Tracker market. Cat faithful like yourself will at least look at it. If they want a full featured ATV, then they will migrate towards the Alterra. The new 600 will appeal to light users, and new entry level riders- what seemingly is Tracker's target audience.

To try and compare your 20 year old '02 Cat to a '22 is comical and undermines your credibility.
Again! where are you going to add storage on to this machine? Have you ridden it? How do you know it does not drive like a Home Run? Oh and by the way? This is the base model. You can get one with 14 inch 27 tall tires. Not many other brands offer this if any.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I didn't complain about anything.

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,479 Posts
Mr. Ramstad- you're starting to look silly.

Again! where are you going to add storage on to this machine?
Maybe they should have engineered that in to the design? The other manufacturers seem to have that in mind when engineering an ATV. Have you ever heard anyone say, "I wish I had LESS storage on my ATV". To dismiss storage on an ATV is silly and again undermines your credibility.

Have you ridden it? How do you know it does not drive like a Home Run?
Nope. I never inferred that it wouldn't "drive like a Home Run"- whatever that means. Have you ridden it? Or anything like it? Or just your '02 dinosaur?
If anything, it should handle well. The weight is lower in the chassis than the 700 Alterra, and the new 600 engine puts out 45HP. It's not far behind the 700. If you notice how far back the weight is, I'm a bit concerned about the balance when climbing hills with it..... But, that'll have to wait until we all get a test drive I guess.....

You can get one with 14 inch 27 tall tires. Not many other brands offer this if any.
The tires are the best feature you can come up with?
Doesn't the Polaris Sportsman still come with 27/14's? Isn't that still the best selling model in the ATV market?

·
Registered
998 Posts
Maybe they should have engineered that in to the design? The other manufacturers seem to have that in mind when engineering an ATV. Have you ever heard anyone say, "I wish I had LESS storage on my ATV". To dismiss storage on an ATV is silly and again undermines your credibility.

Maybe to most people, they add storage bags for real storage capacity. Just saying. I have looked inside the Poo Sportsman and that is not much storage under the rack.

Nope. I never inferred that it wouldn't "drive like a Home Run"- whatever that means. Have you ridden it? Or anything like it? Or just your '02 dinosaur?
If anything, it should handle well. The weight is lower in the chassis than the 700 Alterra, and the new 600 engine puts out 45HP. It's not far behind the 700. If you notice how far back the weight is, I'm a bit concerned about the balance when climbing hills with it..... But, that'll have to wait until we all get a test drive I guess.....

The 700 has something like 41-42 HP, less than the new 600. Hopefully for those who want more power they replace this old Alterra with the new chassis and a larger cc engine. I absolutely love my 02 for ride and handling for my style of riding. I rarely ever go faster than 35 mph to be honest though. We ride in the narrow wooded areas which pretty much eliminate the need for a big CC Quad. Storage galore on mine now with a cooler bag up front, storage on the back and my tank bag for my small items. Not concerned at all about it being to light up front. Brother in law has a 2000 300 and that motor is way back and it climbs like a champ.

The tires are the best feature you can come up with?
Doesn't the Polaris Sportsman still come with 27/14's? Isn't that still the best selling model in the ATV market?
Just looked it up and they have 26 inch tires and 11.5" ground clearance. Cat has 12.25 inches of ground clearance. To say that people will go to the Real Alterra instead of this is kind of funny. The 700 costs more, has less power to boot. Oh but it can hold .8 gallons more storage. Yippee! I am done. Hoping to get a look at my local dealer this Friday. Love this new Alterra so far.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Just looked it up and they have 26 inch tires and 11.5" ground clearance. Cat has 12.25 inches of ground clearance. To say that people will go to the Real Alterra instead of this is kind of funny. The 700 costs more, has less power to boot. Oh but it can hold .8 gallons more storage. Yippee! I am done. Hoping to get a look at my local dealer this Friday. Love this new Alterra so far.
Yes Polaris sells ATV's with 14" rims, all the way up to 30" tires. And you can order any size tires you like really. Don't go by the website, go to the builder and choose bigger tires.

Storage, it can be designed, I don't need to pick a spot for you. I was pretty clear that any engineer can make a pretty box with heatsheild.

The 600 if I recall has better power, so the older 700, I would think that will be phased out. But who knows

I don't think anyone here is disliking the 600, I know my points are just, why are they making poor choices in a normally competitive market, let alone in the covid buying frenzy market,, so again, why lack features every other brand has, and even their own previous models had?

The argument here is why do this? Not don't buy one if you are content with the offering. I didn't even say I wouldn't buy one, just that it's questionable that they've removed features. Which we all know is only to satisfy their brand whoring to Tracker.

·
Registered
169 Posts
So isn't this the perfect timing...

Drive by the Cat dealer just now... It's gutted, gone!!! Maybe someone else is reopening as another name or look, who knows. But that was the last Cat dealer in this Province.

So I'll repeat, WTF is Textron doing being so uncompetitive? Every dealer in North America seems to have weeks to months on getting you an ATV, but the Cat dealer closes. Come on Textron, wake up. Arctic Cat is a solid maker, why are you neutering them?

·
Premium Member
2,479 Posts
I live in NW Wisconsin and ended up having to buy my 700 Alterra TRV in North Dakota because that was the closest dealer that had a 2020 in stock. That was just before COVID.
It is truly remarkable to me that Textron/Cat's dealer network (or lack thereof) is in the shape it's in. The decline is startling. I live in the heart of snow country and ATV country, and blessed to be able to ride from my door multiple days/week. Unfortunately, most of the Cat dealers in my area either don't care about the product any more, or know almost nothing about Cat. It's going to be tough to sell Alterra 600's without a decent dealer network. Textron seems content to just sell them as Trackers.

We have HEAVY ATV traffic. On a recent ATV Poker Run, we surveyed (at some of the pit stops) the various brands of ATV's that were parked. We did see some Arctic Cats- especially newer Wildcats and plenty of older Cat ATV's- but my Alterra was the only new Cat ATV out of roughly 300 participants. I was surprised at the number of newer CFMoto, newer Kawasaki, and new Suzuki's that were there. There's obviously an overwhelming number of Polaris, Can-Am, and Yamaha's.

Without a decent dealer network, I think it'll be a while before I see a new Alterra 600 on the trails.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I live in NW Wisconsin and ended up having to buy my 700 Alterra TRV in North Dakota because that was the closest dealer that had a 2020 in stock. That was just before COVID.
It is truly remarkable to me that Textron/Cat's dealer network (or lack thereof) is in the shape it's in. The decline is startling. I live in the heart of snow country and ATV country, and blessed to be able to ride from my door multiple days/week. Unfortunately, most of the Cat dealers in my area either don't care about the product any more, or know almost nothing about Cat. It's going to be tough to sell Alterra 600's without a decent dealer network. Textron seems content to just sell them as Trackers.

We have HEAVY ATV traffic. On a recent ATV Poker Run, we surveyed (at some of the pit stops) the various brands of ATV's that were parked. We did see some Arctic Cats- especially newer Wildcats and plenty of older Cat ATV's- but my Alterra was the only new Cat ATV out of roughly 300 participants. I was surprised at the number of newer CFMoto, newer Kawasaki, and new Suzuki's that were there. There's obviously an overwhelming number of Polaris, Can-Am, and Yamaha's.

Without a decent dealer network, I think it'll be a while before I see a new Alterra 600 on the trails.
Where I live, I can do 400km if I could handle it, endless trails and good relations between snow clubs and arc clubs. At my last house I could go anywhere in the province from 500ft up the road.

Same here, I have only seen 1 other Alterra and it was at a run 3hrs away. To make it even more blatant, I was the director of membership for a club of 230 ATV'S. Few Cats, less than 10, and mine was the only post 2012 registered with the club. I'm sure they are more popular where they are made, but they should be able to sell a lot of cat snow mobiles, this is Canada lol. We have a 3 month summer out east.

Here, mostly Can-Am 650 max. Then I'd say king quads, Honda, and Yamaha. Minor amount of Polaris. I rarely see another Polaris than mine. And I've never seen another High Lifter. But those popular ones all have a dealer in every major town. Polaris only has three in the province.

·
Registered
2016 Arctic Cat Alterra 550 XT
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
Forgot about the diff locker. That is so upsetting the last few years. Any serious rider checking out someone's ATV and diff locker is always a topic. Can-Am finally accepted that their viscoloc is subpar and finally added diff lockers. At the same time Textron trying to save a buck removes it.

I still love the top model of this 600 with the Garmin display, but the missing locker and storage is what keeps me on the fence.

Check out this and tell me if you're getting through without lockers

And

Diff lock is a big option to have on an ATV. I use mine a lot. The Grizzly has kept its same locker forever because it works and people love it. If they don’t offer one I’ll probably stick to my Alterra 550 XT or… maybe get a Grizzly.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
I don’t think there’s a shortage of parts or chips…

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
The 600 engine has 45 hp
41.2 in the 700
38.8 hp in the 550

61 - 80 of 96 Posts