Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
41 - 60 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Arctic Cat Alterra 550 XT
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Seen some videos of dealers getting the base models in. More revealed on the Alterra 600 here…

The battery moved down to the Sportsman spot..not good IMO.
Large engine access panels.
The head sticks right up in the seat..I know it’s a new design but still weird.
The rear design still is pretty boring. Needs a bumper or something.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I love the layout of this machine. Battery location is so much better! Good job Cat! I will be buying!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Reminds me of the box, very dumbed down. I'd like to see a higher model. And that back, why so lacking.

Sent from my SM-A715W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
169 Posts
What do you mean lacking? You can't see it when your riding it, so who cares?
# storage. #2 the Alterra's back was nice, this is budget looking from the back.
And why do I care, same reason I care that the back of my car's look good, I'm spending a ton of cash on it. It should look good from all angles. When you pay $12k, it should look like it. And if I can spend $12k on another brand and have it look better, then I will.

And the big deal is, Textron dropped the ball with AC. So they have a lot of catching up. You don't catch up but giving less for the same money. They now appear as a discount brand due to the Tracker BS. So step it up and include a good rear. The Alterras looked great and had storage, how was that lost?

·
Registered
998 Posts
# storage. #2 the Alterra's back was nice, this is budget looking from the back.
And why do I care, same reason I care that the back of my car's look good, I'm spending a ton of cash on it. It should look good from all angles. When you pay $12k, it should look like it. And if I can spend $12k on another brand and have it look better, then I will.

And the big deal is, Textron dropped the ball with AC. So they have a lot of catching up. You don't catch up but giving less for the same money. They now appear as a discount brand due to the Tracker BS. So step it up and include a good rear. The Alterras looked great and had storage, how was that lost?

First off you are getting a lot for the money on this machine. I love how simplistic it is since it is a wheeler for work and play. The storage you are talking about was not that great on the older Alterra's btw. Buy a storage bag and mount it to the rack. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
2016 Arctic Cat Alterra 550 XT
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
I like the back of my Alterras. Nice and sporty and ties the design of the atv together. I just use the storage for a tow strap or rope so no worries if it gets wet. I’ve been to the racks and the most water in it was a few drops.
The 600 front end looks more like the Prowler Pros so I see they are keeping with that design. I’d like to see what bumper will be available.

·
Registered
169 Posts
First off you are getting a lot for the money on this machine. I love how simplistic it is since it is a wheeler for work and play.
I'm not saying it's a bad machine. And I see the back, I have 2 ATV'S and a friend or one of my kids ride in front of me often.

I despise steel racks, so I'd have to go up a model or two. I don't want to hear unlimited places to tie down. They slide, if they don't slide they vibrate and rub the paint off. I had an 18 KQ that I loved but putting things in was a fight to get it to last a good days ride.

How did AC create some if the nicest composite racks, then Textron came along and only put them on the highest trim level?

Polaris, Can-Am, Honda, Suzuki, all are doing composite or in Honda's case, steel with quick connect. If Arctic Frost and I swap out, our rack accessories are useless.

I'm kind of ranting at this point because I despise Textons handling of AC. And we see it here too. I can get a lower end Can-Am or Polaris and have more features than this at the same price point and in some cases less $$$. The least Textron could have done is change the plastics for Tracker so they didn't diminish the AC brand. Kind of like how automakers do it. Plymouth/dodge, Buick/GMC/Chevy

If I sold my Alterra for this, I literally lose my storage for tow straps, trail tape, shackle etc., All my rack accessories, and looks.

Yeah it's just a rear end, but there was no reason to go from cool to what the hell happened here.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Curious to see why you would like the battery lower? Side access is nice.

One if my likes of AC is that my Alterra has a stupid amount of openness and nothing is difficult to get to and service.

I helped a friend change spark plugs on an Outlander, my goodness that was more effort than it should have been.

My KQ was also more work. But AC, tons of room.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I'm not saying it's a bad machine. And I see the back, I have 2 ATV'S and a friend or one of my kids ride in front of me often.

I despise steel racks, so I'd have to go up a model or two. I don't want to hear unlimited places to tie down. They slide, if they don't slide they vibrate and rub the paint off. I had an 18 KQ that I loved but putting things in was a fight to get it to last a good days ride.

How did AC create some if the nicest composite racks, then Textron came along and only put them on the highest trim level?

Polaris, Can-Am, Honda, Suzuki, all are doing composite or in Honda's case, steel with quick connect. If Arctic Frost and I swap out, our rack accessories are useless.

I'm kind of ranting at this point because I despise Textons handling of AC. And we see it here too. I can get a lower end Can-Am or Polaris and have more features than this at the same price point and in some cases less $$$. The least Textron could have done is change the plastics for Tracker so they didn't diminish the AC brand. Kind of like how automakers do it. Plymouth/dodge, Buick/GMC/Chevy

If I sold my Alterra for this, I literally lose my storage for tow straps, trail tape, shackle etc., All my rack accessories, and looks.

Yeah it's just a rear end, but there was no reason to go from cool to what the hell happened here.

My brother has the plastic rack covers and I do not care for them. Have never had issues with the metal ones myself. I am sure you can get a bumper for the rear as well.

·
Premium Member
2,479 Posts
Fug. No one with an Alterra will see this as a step up. It's an entry level Machine.
@Parshath77 is right on the money. No storage for shackles/ tree straps/snatch blocks/rope. Steel racks that will bang the hell out of my chain saws. Still no locker.

It looks otherwise fine for a budget model. Cat is trying to keep the weight low in the chassis, and that should translate to better handling. But it looks unbalanced?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Fug. No one with an Alterra will see this as a step up. It's an entry level Machine.
@Parshath77 is right on the money. No storage for shackles/ tree straps/snatch blocks/rope. Steel racks that will bang the hell out of my chain saws. Still no locker.

It looks otherwise fine for a budget model. Cat is trying to keep the weight low in the chassis, and that should translate to better handling. But it looks unbalanced?
Forgot about the diff locker. That is so upsetting the last few years. Any serious rider checking out someone's ATV and diff locker is always a topic. Can-Am finally accepted that their viscoloc is subpar and finally added diff lockers. At the same time Textron trying to save a buck removes it.

I still love the top model of this 600 with the Garmin display, but the missing locker and storage is what keeps me on the fence.

Check out this and tell me if you're getting through without lockers

And

·
Premium Member
2,479 Posts
The new 600 will appeal to casual riders and entry level folks. It will have a niche in the market and probably sell fine. But the lack of features will make it harder to attract experienced Riders. It's not an Alterra.

With that said, I'd like the opportunity to ride one. I am curious about how this chassis will handle since everything is laid out in an unconventional way. I would also like to see how the new 600 runs.

41 - 60 of 96 Posts