Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
21 - 40 of 96 Posts

·
Administrator
7,968 Posts
If they offer it as a "kit" afterwards, they would sell em for sure. If they are selling them pre-order only, like the sleds, maybe its an option?

·
Premium Member
2,479 Posts
Did they use that ancient tear drop style speedometer to maybe entice people to buy the Garmin as an accessory?

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Looks very sweet, however seems like not much has changed in 10+ years practically. The main things I like are 4x4 with locker, EFI, power steering. None of these new machines are worth exchanging my 2010 model for. I can't think of any option I would like actually, other then an electric ATV and Side by Side. Too bad Polaris is getting there first. :( You would think with Textron owning those golf carts they would have the upper hand.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Looks very sweet, however seems like not much has changed in 10+ years practically. The main things I like are 4x4 with locker, EFI, power steering. None of these new machines are worth exchanging my 2010 model for. I can't think of any option I would like actually, other then an electric ATV and Side by Side. Too bad Polaris is getting there first. :( You would think with Textron owning those golf carts they would have the upper hand.
So you really don't like riding very far I will assume. EV powered ATV or SXS are not going to be range kings and to be honest, where in the woods are you going to charge it, or are you going to bring along your gas generator?

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Correct, I don't ride for more than 20 miles at a time. 99% of my use is around my 2 acre house, and back 1/2 mile behind my house to my hunting land. Electric would be perfect, as no noise for the deer as well.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Correct, I don't ride for more than 20 miles at a time. 99% of my use is around my 2 acre house, and back 1/2 mile behind my house to my hunting land. Electric would be perfect, as no noise for the deer as well.
That is where a Prowler Pro styled machine in a 54" body would be perfect for me. I put large miles on when we ride. An EV will never see my property. Of any kind.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Get a prowler pro, they are near silent.

And let's clear the air for the tree huggers. EV vehicles are no better for the planet over gas until after 10 years. Add the fact that electricity also isn't always clean. Here, we have coal electricity, and have grid issues on a sunny day.

So there is no benefit. The only benefits are that tree huggers feel better out of ignorance to the reality of EV's pollution footprint. If they wanted to save the world they would be fighting electronics manufacturing.

Sent from my SM-A715W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 Arctic Cat Alterra 550 XT
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I think all full size atvs should come standard with EPS these days.
Earlier Alterras/XRs had 4x4 lockers and EFI. I was skeptical at first but impressed with the ride and handling of my Alterra over the a-body and b-body styles. Even though they made little improvement it did help a lot. With the option of a locker on the 600 I think it would do great.

Arcticfrost

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
I'm not saying an electric ATV/UTV would be better for everyone because of the enviroment, but in my view an electric ATV/UTV would be better for me and mean I can ride right up to the deer stand (as they are as quiet as walking), never have to worry about having gas cans around, never worry about carb/fuel system getting plugged because of sitting, and no more messy motor oil.

·
Administrator
7,968 Posts
Im sure there is one on the drawing board as we speak. Years ago Cat came out with an ATV with a built in generator on board. "Came out" but never released. It was around 350 cc's and the atv motor turned/powered the generator. A builder could just drive his "generator" to the job, plop it in neutral and plug into the 110/120 volts. Seemed like it would be a hit. With the newer battery technology, its only a matter or time before an all electric ATV is released. Perhaps a hybrid? Some catch on and others dont. The Chevy "Volt" seemed like it would corner the market but that didnt happen.

·
Registered
2016 Arctic Cat Alterra 550 XT
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
The white looks good. Personally I like the 12” wheel size over the 14” on atvs and prefer the Speedrack II over the bars. Looks like the front diff is different than previous models. I wonder how accessible the engine is for maintenance? Remove the side panels and rear wheels probably.

More pics...

Arcticfrost

·
Registered
998 Posts
The white looks good. Personally I like the 12” wheel size over the 14” on atvs and prefer the Speedrack II over the bars. Looks like the front diff is different than previous models. I wonder how accessible the engine is for maintenance? Remove the side panels and rear wheels probably.

More pics...

Arcticfrost
By Cats account, very easy to service.

·
Premium Member
2,479 Posts
Interesting location for the fuel filer and fuel tank..... Should really put the weight low and in the center.

·
Administrator
39,835 Posts
When your low on fuel she will be a wheelie machine. Hard to keep the nose down in the steep terrain out here in the Rockies.

·
Registered
998 Posts
When your low on fuel she will be a wheelie machine. Hard to keep the nose down in the steep terrain out here in the Rockies.
Wow! Just WOW. Lots of assumptions there and it is like less than 50 lbs from full to empty. Irrelevant!

·
Administrator
39,835 Posts
Time will tell. Are you not assuming now?
50 lbs of weight transfer on a 60 degree climb is far from irrelevant.

·
Administrator
39,835 Posts
The engineers didn’t do so well on older versions that had such a high c of g that they flipped easily.
I was just making an observation based on many years of riding. It’s MY opinion, I’m not trying to state a fact. Chill
Assumption is the mother of all evil.

21 - 40 of 96 Posts