Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My latest project was building a full hydraulic system for my Cat.

Right now I am using the system to lift my 60" county plow. It works awesome!

I have been on this idea for a couple years now and it wasn't until this winter I decided to see how deep the rabbit hole really goes.

Here is the rundown on my system.

To mount the pump I used the now obsolete pull starter location. I am using a small power steering pump I got off a GM car and mounted it to the crankshaft via a custom coupler and some 6061 aluminum mounts.

I built a small reservoir to help with cooling and to make room for the fluid in my cylinder. The reservoir is vented up to the top of my snorkels so it is completely submersible. The reservoir is mounted under my left fender up and out of the way of my tire. This tank is fill able through a small hole in the top of the fender. I will have to see how the oil temp holds up. if it is too high i will have to add a oil cooler to the quad.

For the control I bought a small DO3 sized electric over Hydraulic solenoid valve. The whole valve setup is mounted to my front rack to keep it out of the water when I water wheelie! I also installed and mounted a pressure gauge so I could keep an eye on the pressure. This is plumbed to my 16" ram, which lifts my plow about 14" inches off the ground. I can also lift the front of my machine off the ground if i extend the plow all the way! This is also helpful for plowing as I can put the weight of the quad on the cutting edge of my blade.

I mounted a water proof switch to my left handle bar. This way you can run the cylinder with your index finger. It is just zip tied on right now, but it is surprisingly solid.

I uploaded the max five pics. I will try upload more.

My next ideas that I am working on for the Hydracat are;
1. front hydraulic steering assist
2. full rear hydraulic steering
3. hydraulic winches

send me any questions or ideas.

Attachments

Reactions: russell8833

·
Administrator
39,141 Posts
Nice !!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A few more pics

Here are some more Pictures of the Hydracat. Enjoy

Attachments

·
Administrator
39,141 Posts
I love the ingenuity on this site

Reactions: frickengreen

·
Registered
340 Posts
Just goes to show that everything can be improved. Nice job man.

·
Registered
95 Posts
AMAZING!!! Love it!

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
I have been on this site for almost 10 years, and this is by far the most origional and crazy mod I have seen! LOL Good job! :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
Any chance you have a parts list for the pump. The adapter as well. I have been wanting to do this for a while. Im trying to build a log splitter.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
All I can say is dayum! Very nice setup.

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
Nice job!?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Awesome setup and great ingenuity. Also it really wouldn't be that much work to put another valve on it and cylinder and make the blade turn left and right also. May not be necessary but the cool factor would be there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts