Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So far the only problem I am having with my 2012 700 TRV is the fuel gauge. Only has 70 miles and pretty much done this from the beggining. Did a search here and I have used the Startron trick but it has not worked for me. I can fill tank till the gas almost runs out the fill spout then run down the road for 5-6 miles and the gauge is down 2 segements already. I know I am not getting that bad fuel mileage. Guage sometimes shows half but will only take a gallon after 15 miles.

Any ideas ?

Hate taking it back to the dealer as it is 30 miles one way and I will have to make two trips. Usually I have found the dealer makes more problems than than he fixes.
Thanks for at least looking.

·
Administrator
40,727 Posts
Reactions: team sidewinder

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
At least 2 refills but I will admit that I haven't run it down more a couple of gallons both times the startron was in the tank. Maybe I just need to be more patient to give it a little more time. We usually don't have any ethanol problems here in Montana but not saying that where ever the first fuel came from didn't have ethanol in it. I usually never let my fuel tank get below 1/2 so don't know what the gauge does when it gets below 1/2.

·
Administrator
40,727 Posts
How long did it sit at the dealers with gas in it?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks doorfx. Not worthy:
It was a 2012 hold-over so it could have been a year. I am sure they never added gas or if they did it was just enough to run it in and out of the shop for a year with only the factory fuel in it. It was on empty or close when I picked it up.
Funny as when I checked for my first oil change ( I think the manual said 10 hours for breaking in ) it only had 30 miles but 20 hours on it I dunno
Is it a big job to drop the tank and remove the fuel pump and sender unit ? Any seals or gaskets that would need to be replaced ?
I guess it is not a real big deal with the gauge anyway but it would be nice if it did work right. By now I know the MPG I am getting and always reset the trip meter with every fuel fill-up so pretty well know how much fuel I have used and how much I should have left.
I try to do my own work on my atv just to avoid running to the dealership every time something needs looking at but would never tackle anything too big ( like an enging overhaul or such ).
Thanks again Not worthy:

·
Administrator
40,727 Posts
Is it still under warranty?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Is it still under warranty?
Stupid me.:Bangin: I better be checking on that. It never even occurred to me with buying a 2012 machine that it could well be out of time for factory warranty already. :Bangin:. I have only owned it 1 month.
Guesss I was thinking that the warranty would start when the purchase was made from the dealer but maybe that is not the case.

·
Premium Member
781 Posts
happens to mine, its the blue spades on the sending unit are loose, if you remove the pump you just need to squeeze this a little and reattached. I just shut it off and kick the tank and brings it back to life when it disappears. I did this on my old fuel pump assembly, been to lazy to do it on my new fuel pump assembly...

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It seems to move alright and never freezes but it just drops like a rock with very little fuel usage.
It reads full when the tank is full and not sure what it reads when the tank is empty as I have never run it that low.
Not sure how many ohms it should be reading from the sender on full/half/empty.

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
Stupid me.:Bangin: I better be checking on that. It never even occurred to me with buying a 2012 machine that it could well be out of time for factory warranty already. :Bangin:. I have only owned it 1 month.
Guesss I was thinking that the warranty would start when the purchase was made from the dealer but maybe that is not the case.
Your warranty would start at time of purchase. As long as you have a decent dealer you might as well take it in and have it fixed. You paid good money for it and it should work.

·
Administrator
8,019 Posts
I'm with him^^^
let the dealer fix it.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I have decided to just live Cat happy with it and it seem to me that from past experiences sometimes little things are better left alone and lived with than to have the dealer start messing around and creating another problem. Funny how it seemed like a big deal at first but now not so much just lilke the hour meter that seems to put hours on faster than what really indicates run time.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
It appears as though the links to the old thread no longer work. Tried searching for my original thread and found nothing. Must of gotten deleted by the system. ??????

Anyhow what those two threads contained were pictures and simple instructions of how I replaced the sending unit with an universal GM 0-90 ohm sender that i found on ebay for about 15 dollars each at the time. (see they are a little more costly now about $35-$40) Cat expects the gauge to send a 95-5 ohm signal or backwards from the automotive version. I was able to invert the sender of the automotive replacement so it would send a 90-0 signal for full empty indication. I used only the sender element assembly part and mounted it to the original cat fuel pick up tube in the same location and reused the cat float and wire. It took a little creative bending adjustment and length adjustments to get it to go from full to empty in a 7 inch swing (The depth of a cat tank)

The difference? The cat sender is a resistive printed circuit board type sender that easily corrodes. The replacement is a silver wire wound rheostat that is immune to corrosion. Works perfectly and have zero problems since. the 5 ohm difference is NOT enough to adversely effect the operation or accuracy any. since the full range is a 90 ohm swing from full to empty. At least 3 years now since. No more expensive fuel additives needed to keep the gauge working anymore.

The senders I used for both cats looked very much like the one shown in the attached picture. (from an ebay listing)

Attachments

·
Administrator
40,727 Posts
Just use Startron fuel additive every tank. No more issues

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
I have decided to just live Cat happy with it and it seem to me that from past experiences sometimes little things are better left alone and lived with than to have the dealer start messing around and creating another problem. Funny how it seemed like a big deal at first but now not so much just lilke the hour meter that seems to put hours on faster than what really indicates run time.
I would get it fixed. you never know it could lead into bigger issues and thats usually when your warranty is done.. Dealer should be able to do that job while u wait or go shopping

1 - 17 of 17 Posts