Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (barrettpratt @ Feb 23 2009, 11:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ArcticCatRider500 @ Feb 12 2009, 04:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've been driving ATV's rated for 16 year olders and up since I was 12.. Arrest me officer....[/b]
Amen my cat is my first atv and ive had it since may08 when I was 12 ive been stopped by cops 4 times be4 and all of them. Have pointed at the age limitation sticker. Two outta those four said it was against tha law that is bull$#!t it is not a law but just a warning sticker.
as for tha govt they can kiss my a$$
[/b][/quote]You need to check the law, before making such a statement. In many states, it is against state law for youths to ride machines above a certain size and then add in helmet requirements or adult supervision requirements and the Officer probably knew what he was talking about. You may not like us, but we have a job to do and running your mouth does not reflect well on you, when we do our job. At least 50% of the citations issued are the result of an attitude on initial contact, not the stop itself.

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
You need to check the law, before making such a statement. In many states, it is against state law for youths to ride machines above a certain size and then add in helmet requirements or adult supervision requirements and the Officer probably knew what he was talking about.[/b]
That's what it is here in MN.

·
Registered
862 Posts
if a child develops an appetite for the device's brakes or battery terminals and decides to eat the ATV or motorbike, lead poisoning may result.

The new legislation is intended to prevent the sale of items containing lead that could be ingested by

Above from the first reference......

So is there a problem also with the lead in the battery and the brake system????

I have not seen a reference yet to the reseller of used items but several months ago there was a peace about the people who run used children shops that are all items for children; on TV and that they to would be responsible for the sale of children used toy and they would also have to have the toys tested which meant they would be put out of business since they could not afford to have the items tested.
If this is the case what if you sell your used ATV or snowmobile are you also liable if it is a 50 or 90 cc.
I was going to go over to the fle market this week end and will have to look and see if the people selling new "small" foreign ATV are still selling this junk.

·
Administrator
20,052 Posts
I have yet to hear any specific ruling on that,, but as of right now, many coming in asking about and then seeing this bill in this thread I show them are deciding to keep what they have for now as they don't want to chance either not having something for their kids to ride,, or simply do not want to chance getting fined

·
Administrator
20,052 Posts
Could we please pin this topic as I have several customers daily that would like to read posted links, it will make them quicker to find, plus IMHO be a great feature of the site to possible future members that want to know more about this insain bill/act

EDIT: A G,, Thank you for pinning this topic

Rusty

·
Registered
636 Posts
they voted to stay enforcement which is BS as it's still technically illegal, just that they wont enforce it. Whos to say they won't change thier mind?

·
Premium Member
9,488 Posts
The "Skuttlebutt" of the the interputation here in NH is the same as it was...many Dealership's of OHRV are adhereing to the Ruling... There are alot of EYE'S out there...

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
hmm lets see, kids atv,s because of the battery posts, so that means all the elec start go karts,minibikes,mini streetbikes and the little elec jeeps,quads etc etc right? or is it just atv,s and dirtbikes.
when i was a kid there was no such law that limited you to what size machine.
so that was the first law that they come up with, id say that stopped a few from riding.
now its those tastie battery terminals, that a kid is really going to chew on.
so now thats another way of slowing down outdoor recreation(atv,s/dirtbikes) uhum unless your into bird watchin.
rules,rules, laws etc etc. hey here is a thought switch the exposed lead terminals to brass.
all i can say if you want this sport to survive, then sighn the petitions, the more the merrier.
otherwise who knows>>>> :trail:

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Ok so I dont have any kids, but I know little ones love to put everything in their mouths. But do parents really let them lick battery terminals?? LMAO shouldnt the law be for better parenting, or make people put cameras in their shed or garages to watch their kids hahaha. I agree its a stupid law, I dont know of any parents that would allow their kids to be eating the batteies, and how many little kids can get the seat off to actually enjoy a delicous battery? Here is a couple relly good sites that will help people through all of this so they dont try a slow suicide of battery eating. The second one is a Minnesota race site that I am a member of. Check'em out!
http://www.mic.org/stbn_message.cfm
http://www.armca.org/index.htm

·
Registered
838 Posts
Sorry, I have to disagree......there has to be some kind of regulation.

I'm not saying kids shouldn't be able to ride ATV's, its just that PARENTS don't use their freaking heads and let them ride something they shouldn't!!

http://www.preventinjury.org/PDFs/ATV_INJURY.pdf

If this is even close.....there are a lot of parents out there that don't really care what their kids do, just turn 'em loose so they(parents) can drink their beer.

Now factor in the insurance claims for the injuries and now they are hitting my pocketbook, driving up insurance rates.
I'm with you on government dictating, but ......

Its like arguing the government don't have the right to tell me I have to wear a seatbelt.

Just thinking outloud, I enjoy reading everyone elses thoughts.

·
Registered
2 Posts
ya know, i think this is a great idea 2 and 3 year olds will put anything in thier mouths, so we should prolly just bypass the quads for our toddlers and buy them f350's (or your own choice of pickups) where the battery is well hidden under a hood, not just sitting there looking tasty under the seat, then on thier 36th birthday we can buy them thier quads when they are a bit more mature

·
Premium Member
2,483 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (The Texan @ Feb 23 2009, 01:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (barrettpratt @ Feb 23 2009, 11:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ArcticCatRider500 @ Feb 12 2009, 04:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've been driving ATV's rated for 16 year olders and up since I was 12.. Arrest me officer....[/b]
Amen my cat is my first atv and ive had it since may08 when I was 12 ive been stopped by cops 4 times be4 and all of them. Have pointed at the age limitation sticker. Two outta those four said it was against tha law that is bull$#!t it is not a law but just a warning sticker.
as for tha govt they can kiss my a$$
[/b][/quote]You need to check the law, before making such a statement. In many states, it is against state law for youths to ride machines above a certain size and then add in helmet requirements or adult supervision requirements and the Officer probably knew what he was talking about. You may not like us, but we have a job to do and running your mouth does not reflect well on you, when we do our job. At least 50% of the citations issued are the result of an attitude on initial contact, not the stop itself.
[/b][/quote]
no it isnt a law in the great state of louisiana as of current but i thing they are trying to pass a law though
I always ride with a helmet
and i do respect cops except for some in our small town that cuss at kids for riding slowly and quie safely on the streets, when i am stopped i always give them real info (name parents names workplaces ph#s Etc.) if they ask that (happend on 2 occasions) and alys have a good attitude and say yes/no sir
I completely understand and respect that

·
Administrator
20,052 Posts

·
Administrator
20,052 Posts
This same "mandating" will eventually be done throughout the powersports industry in a government lead effort to eliminate the freedoms that we (all you and I) like to do in our spare time with our hard earned money...

I also know that the above posted link is directly off from a Polaris dealers site... But, IF we all just turn our heads and do nothing, then we've given up before we even started.....

Seriously... Do we really want to allow this to happen?

41 - 57 of 57 Posts