Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Administrator
20,052 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hot Stuff @ Feb 12 2009, 01:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Not to hijack, but what's wrong with those "cheap chinese atv's"? If you're kid's gona outgrow it in a matter of a couple years, why buy a expensive one. Plus, didn't Kymco start out as one of those cheapies? And don't they make Cats 366 and smaller quads? Yeah, they may be lower quality, but I know guys with them and have had NO problems. It's a throw away quad, much like todays cars. Aren't most of you're under 200cc quads made overseas anyhow?

I'm not stirring the pot, just asking questions. I don't own one of these small quads either. I'm all about buying USA built stuff, that's one of the main reasons I started riding Cats, but even the small AC's are built by a Taiwanese? company.[/b]
Taiwanese companies products vs Chinese are like night and day,, Taiwanese companies have far better product control/quality,, Chinese?? Lol

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Darryl89 @ Feb 12 2009, 02:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hot Stuff @ Feb 12 2009, 11:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not to hijack, but what's wrong with those "cheap chinese atv's"? If you're kid's gona outgrow it in a matter of a couple years, why buy a expensive one. Plus, didn't Kymco start out as one of those cheapies? And don't they make Cats 366 and smaller quads? Yeah, they may be lower quality, but I know guys with them and have had NO problems. It's a throw away quad, much like todays cars. Aren't most of you're under 200cc quads made overseas anyhow?

I'm not stirring the pot, just asking questions. I don't own one of these small quads either. I'm all about buying USA built stuff, that's one of the main reasons I started riding Cats, but even the small AC's are built by a Taiwanese? company.[/b]
What's wrong with these cheap chinese atv's...plenty.. I have people coming into our repair/parts facility daily, asking if we can repair them, many having only run for a few hours before never running again.
And no, Kymco never was a "cheap chinese" machine, they sub-contracted to Honda since 1963. They are quite a bit better than any of the "cheap" ones out there.
I had one guy come in my store after buying one of the cheap ones. He said it ran for 3 hours. Tehn the engine quit. He took it back to the original dealer only to be told, "yes, it's under warranty, but that is $500 deductible up front". And he only paid $800 for the atv... so there is plenty wrong with them...
[/b][/quote]
Sure wish I could recall how many times i've been told that same basic scenario over the yrs ,, I immediately steer "chinese" machines right back out the door if they want repair service as they have basically zero replacement oem parts,, only tires, plugs, oils, (things along those lines) are where we can even begin to help them with, nothing else,, and service info literature!?? WAFJ!!

·
Premium Member
1,515 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Darryl89 @ Feb 12 2009, 01:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Estwing @ Feb 12 2009, 10:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The new law isn't an outright ban on youth ATVs it's a ban on selling youth ATVs that fail to meet the new standards for lead and other chemicals. AC will have retrofit kits to dealers in 7-14 days to bring the 90 models into compliance. Current model year machines already meet the new standards.

It would be nice if news outlets reported all of the story rather than just the details that stir controversy.[/b]
What do you hear about the 50's. I have quite a few 2008 50's and 90's both in stock. AC's letter to the dealers doesn't differentiate between the 90's and 50's or model years.
[/b][/quote]

Retrofits will be available for the 50s. Thus far, the timetable hasn't been set.

·
Premium Member
1,585 Posts
Ok, That's why I asked. I asked so that I could be informed. That is all. Thanks

·
Administrator
20,052 Posts
Dude,, I wasn't ripping your ass with the quote,, I was merely pointing out that in my yrs in powersports industry, Taiwanese products simply out class Chinese made products by a w-i-d-e margin,, heck,, they're basically as good if not better than some of the jap stuff

The Chinese stuff is where the whole issue (IMO anyways) of the lead ingestion still stems, look at their stds of living and all the pollution they have,, it's ridiculous

·
Registered
21 Posts
This has to be one of the stupidest laws the US has ever made, yeah yeah, I know, US has made a bunch of stupid laws, but this, is totally out of hand. There saying, pretty much, that if a child wants to have a ATV or motorcycle, they can't. There going to see the sales plummet, and wish they never created this law in the first place. Its the parents job to PARENT the kid, not the Governments job. Way to go.

·
Premium Member
1,515 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CrazyYooper @ Feb 12 2009, 01:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I have to remember "don't eat the battery, Don't eat the battery"
I just snacked on the brakes for lunch "Dam I wished I knowned about this before lunch"

I think the brakes give me gas :eek:[/b]
If you made a peanut butter and brake sandwich, it was probably the peanut butter not the brakes. :lol:

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I've been driving ATV's rated for 16 year olders and up since I was 12.. Arrest me officer....

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
Asked the Polaris dealer in town about the whole thing, he said I knew as much as he did. He's rather in limbo as to what to do.

·
Premium Member
1,549 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (C-note @ Feb 12 2009, 04:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Dude,, I wasn't ripping your ass with the quote,, I was merely pointing out that in my yrs in powersports industry, Taiwanese products simply out class Chinese made products by a w-i-d-e margin,, heck,, they're basically as good if not better than some of the jap stuff

The Chinese stuff is where the whole issue (IMO anyways) of the lead ingestion still stems, look at their stds of living and all the pollution they have,, it's ridiculous[/b]
When I was looking for a quad my my girlfriend to ride I did some research. There is a big difference between Chinese and Taiwanese products. Kazuma ATV's I found have many problems, although they were cheap. Then I looked up Kymco. The reviews on them were far better so thats what I went with. the 250 Mongoose I bought was $2600 brand new. Not a bad price. So far runs well.

Mike

Reactions: C-note

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I bought my daughter a Roketa 50cc & I have to admit, it needed alot of work prior to riding. All the bolts were loose, the remote kill system was hinky & I had to remove it, kept shuting off on its own. As well as the lights gave out. But still...the price was right for an entry level machine at $575 new. Its by far no rocketship, but out in our horse arena my 240lb heap can get it to drift like those lawntractor racing rigs you see. Lots of fun. Shes already grown out of it but will do for now. As far as me riding it...hilarious.

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
Suprisingly, a local paper known for it's far left stance wrote this article, which (first time saying this about them) makes sense:

STAR TRIBUNE

New law puts brakes on sales of minibikes
By HERÓN MÁRQUEZ ESTRADA, Star Tribune
February 16, 2009

A new federal law aimed at protecting children from lead poisoning in toys is weighing heavy on sellers of motorized off-road vehicles in Minnesota and around the country.

Thousands of dirt bikes and mini-ATVs have been pulled from showrooms since the law went into effect last Tuesday because the lead content of such parts as brake handles, tire stems and battery terminals exceeded allowable limits.
"This is crazy," said Sheri Rosoff, owner of Hitching Post Motorsports, which pulled dozens of motor bikes and hundreds of parts from four locations in the Twin Cities metro area. "This was supposed to be about toys. Nobody's going to ingest the part of a motorcycle that contains lead."
The law was passed last year to limit the amount of lead in products aimed at children 12 and younger after deaths and scares resulting from high levels in toys.

But motorcycle dealers said Monday that they were caught by surprise last month when manufacturers and the federal agency that regulates the new law notified them that dirt bikes and mini-all-terrain vehicles were included in the ban.

"I don't think that is what legislators intended when they sought to protect kids from lead," said Phill Morud, a director with the All Terrain Vehicle Association of Minnesota. "I think this is a case of unintended consequences."

Last year, more than 100,000 of the youth-oriented vehicles were sold. Industry experts estimate that 13,000 dealers nationwide might be stuck holding $100 million in inventory because the vehicles contain lead levels greater than allowed under the law.

"We're hoping that they see ... a difference between a children's necklace and a motor part that has very little chance of being ingested by a child," said Tim Patnode, spokesman for American Honda.
Joining in the fight is U.S. Sen. Amy Klobuchar, one of the primary sponsors of the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act, who has been pushing to rectify the situation.

She and others argue that the bill gave the Consumer Product Safety Commission, which is overseeing interpretation of the law, the authority to grant exemptions for ATVs, dirt bikes and the like.

"We have to be practical," Klobuchar said Monday. "That's why those exceptions are in there. We always thought that the [commission] would be responsive. I am frustrated that they have not been."

Congress tightened lead limits on kids' products last year after discoveries of dangerous levels in some toys.

"There was a major problem," Klobuchar said. "There was a need to do this."
Awaiting ruling

The rules took partial effect last week while the Consumer Product Safety Commission finalizes them and determines which products will receive exemptions.
The problem is that until that exemption is granted, dealers and manufacturers are unwilling to take the risk of selling what is technically an illegal product at the moment.

Especially because dealers face initial fines of $1,825 that could run up to $1.8 million for repeated offenses.

"I don't know any businessman who would take that chance now," Morud said.
Klobuchar and others said they hope the matter will be resolved within the next two or three months. But even that delay might put a squeeze on dealers and parts sellers.

"It has had a real negative impact," said Scott Haraldson, a salesman at Honda Town in Minneapolis, which took its entire inventory of youth-oriented ATVs off the showroom floor last week. "Sales are already low with the economy being the way it is."

Another concern for makers and enthusiasts of dirt bikes and ATVs is that the ban will discourage younger riders from taking up the sport.

Supporters have flooded Congress and the Consumer Product Safety Commission with calls, letters and e-mails complaining about the new law.

"This is a big concern for our members," said Pete terHorst, a spokesman for the American Motorcyclist Association, which boasts 300,000 members. "We're looking for a reasonable interpretation."

The Associated Press contributed to this story. Heron Marquez Estrada · 612-673-4280
© 2009 Star Tribune. All rights reserved.

·
Registered
187 Posts
This ban is the stupidity of government at its finest. We are a Kymco dealer, and were very fortunate to sell through our youth quads just in the nick of time. I will also add that Kymco takes great umbrage at people lumping them in with the mainland-China throw away machines. Their long affiliation with Honda, as well as AC and Kawi, speaks to their legitimacy as an OEM. Most all of the warranties we submit are for shipping damage, not equipment failure.

·
Administrator
20,052 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tjfdesmo @ Feb 22 2009, 02:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
This ban is the stupidity of government at its finest. We are a Kymco dealer, and were very fortunate to sell through our youth quads just in the nick of time. I will also add that Kymco takes great umbrage at people lumping them in with the mainland-China throw away machines. Their long affiliation with Honda, as well as AC and Kawi, speaks to their legitimacy as an OEM. Most all of the warranties we submit are for shipping damage, not equipment failure.[/b]
As Kymco is a great company, I can honestly agree with your post 100%

:chug:

·
Premium Member
1,549 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (C-note @ Feb 22 2009, 02:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tjfdesmo @ Feb 22 2009, 02:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This ban is the stupidity of government at its finest. We are a Kymco dealer, and were very fortunate to sell through our youth quads just in the nick of time. I will also add that Kymco takes great umbrage at people lumping them in with the mainland-China throw away machines. Their long affiliation with Honda, as well as AC and Kawi, speaks to their legitimacy as an OEM. Most all of the warranties we submit are for shipping damage, not equipment failure.[/b]
As Kymco is a great company, I can honestly agree with your post 100%

:chug:
[/b][/quote]

As I posted above, I have a Mongoose 250 and it runs great. Only had 1 minor problem, a broken steering collet. It was a $30 part.

Mike

Reactions: C-note

·
Premium Member
2,483 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ArcticCatRider500 @ Feb 12 2009, 04:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I've been driving ATV's rated for 16 year olders and up since I was 12.. Arrest me officer....[/b]
Amen my cat is my first atv and ive had it since may08 when I was 12 ive been stopped by cops 4 times be4 and all of them. Have pointed at the age limitation sticker. Two outta those four said it was against tha law that is bull$#!t it is not a law but just a warning sticker.
as for tha govt they can keep their noses out of things.

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
I would recommend against making posts like that, even in jest which I'm sure your post is. They don't take kindly to terroristic threats of any kind. Just a word of caution man.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts