Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What the economy and manufactures didn't do to the dealers, the government is going to do.

On Wednesday, the mud hit the flaps for thousands of motorcycle and recreation vehicle retailers across the country: All of them had to cease selling small off-road motorcycles and ATVs designed for kids, because, according to a provision of the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act, the machines are dangerous.

The full article.

:trail:

Here is a link to the Latest Information on this topic. Finally, some movement in the right direction.
Bob

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
That troubles me. No longer are WE supposed to parent our kids and watch out for their welfare, but the government will.

Where does it stop? Are they now going to mandate where we eat because some restaurants are "not healthy"? This is ridiculous.

·
Administrator
20,052 Posts
Very interesting,, i'll have to contact our local member of congress and ask if he truly wants to see a large portion of area businesses have one more strike against them in these trying times,,,,

Come on people of A-chat,, start voicing your opinions to congress, because you just know sleds (and who knows what else) are next if they are allowed to have their way

EDIT: just looked up and copied contact info for 3 most influential reps from Mi (IMHO)

If anyone from here wants them,, pm me

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts
WOW!

Welcome to the "Nanny Nation". We're beyond the slippery slope here..............we're plummetting headlong into.......oh let's see....... socializm. :eek:

UNBELIEVEABLE. *$#@!! treehuggers & their liberal buddies......... chairshot

·
Registered
695 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Not because a child might have an accident on the diminutive machines, but because if a child develops an appetite for the device's brakes or battery terminals and decides to eat the ATV or motorbike, lead poisoning may result.[/b]

umm, what? What an absolute joke

·
Premium Member
2,546 Posts
Sounds like something that would happen in Russia, not in the USA. There is no reason the Govt. should be able to dictate what you allow your kids to do. Children are the responsibility of their parents, not the govt. Times like this just goes to show that we don't live in a free country where we make our own decisions. Scary times, they are taking more and more from us every day.

·
Registered
173 Posts
that article leaves me with questions
like what size atv's are not being sold
what age kids this is supposed to affect
just lots of questions

·
Premium Member
2,546 Posts
What if you are a midget???? Without these small atv's avaliable, you can't ride.

·
Premium Member
1,515 Posts
The new law isn't an outright ban on youth ATVs it's a ban on selling youth ATVs that fail to meet the new standards for lead and other chemicals. AC will have retrofit kits to dealers in 7-14 days to bring the 90 models into compliance. Current model year machines already meet the new standards.

It would be nice if news outlets reported all of the story rather than just the details that stir controversy.

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
I have to remember "don't eat the battery, Don't eat the battery"
I just snacked on the brakes for lunch "Dam I wished I knowned about this before lunch"

I think the brakes give me gas :eek:

·
Administrator
20,052 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (king_crusher @ Feb 12 2009, 01:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
well heck thats not so bad
maybe it will put a stop to the cheap chinese atv's that everyone sells[/b]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Estwing @ Feb 12 2009, 01:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (king_crusher @ Feb 12 2009, 01:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
well heck thats not so bad
maybe it will put a stop to the cheap chinese atv's that everyone sells[/b]
Exactly what I was thinking.
[/b][/quote]
Yes, nothing wrong with those portion's of it what so ever

·
Premium Member
1,585 Posts
Not to hijack, but what's wrong with those "cheap chinese atv's"? If you're kid's gona outgrow it in a matter of a couple years, why buy a expensive one. Plus, didn't Kymco start out as one of those cheapies? And don't they make Cats 366 and smaller quads? Yeah, they may be lower quality, but I know guys with them and have had NO problems. It's a throw away quad, much like todays cars. Aren't most of you're under 200cc quads made overseas anyhow?

I'm not stirring the pot, just asking questions. I don't own one of these small quads either. I'm all about buying USA built stuff, that's one of the main reasons I started riding Cats, but even the small AC's are built by a Taiwanese? company.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Pure BS. Whats next, kids bicycles with federally mandated frames with welded on training wheels?? Doesnt matter if the ATV is made in America or in China, the whole picture is that this will take more fun away from kids that already need more things to do. I would prefer my daughter go for a few spins around the farm on her chinese 50cc atv than spend the afternoon playing video games.

·
Registered
562 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Estwing @ Feb 12 2009, 10:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
The new law isn't an outright ban on youth ATVs it's a ban on selling youth ATVs that fail to meet the new standards for lead and other chemicals. AC will have retrofit kits to dealers in 7-14 days to bring the 90 models into compliance. Current model year machines already meet the new standars.

It would be nice if news outlets reported all of the story rather than just the details that stir controversy.[/b]
What do you hear about the 50's. I have quite a few 2008 50's and 90's both in stock. AC's letter to the dealers doesn't differentiate between the 90's and 50's or model years.

·
Registered
562 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hot Stuff @ Feb 12 2009, 11:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Not to hijack, but what's wrong with those "cheap chinese atv's"? If you're kid's gona outgrow it in a matter of a couple years, why buy a expensive one. Plus, didn't Kymco start out as one of those cheapies? And don't they make Cats 366 and smaller quads? Yeah, they may be lower quality, but I know guys with them and have had NO problems. It's a throw away quad, much like todays cars. Aren't most of you're under 200cc quads made overseas anyhow?

I'm not stirring the pot, just asking questions. I don't own one of these small quads either. I'm all about buying USA built stuff, that's one of the main reasons I started riding Cats, but even the small AC's are built by a Taiwanese? company.[/b]
What's wrong with these cheap chinese atv's...plenty.. I have people coming into my AC dealership daily, asking if we can repair them, many having only run for a few hours before never running again.
And no, Kymco never was a "cheap chinese" machine, they sub-contracted to Honda since 1963. They are quite a bit better than any of the "cheap" ones out there.
I had one guy come in my store after buying one of the cheap ones. He said it ran for 3 hours. Tehn the engine quit. He took it back to the original dealer only to be told, "yes, it's under warranty, but that is $500 deductible up front". And he only paid $800 for the atv... so there is plenty wrong with them...

Reactions: C-note
1 - 20 of 57 Posts