Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been hearing things about the 800 motor. Like people saying there not good but there improving them.. i havent seen anyone posting there problems about the motor yet but if someone knows somthing anything about these motors could you plz reply cause i just bought one and i wouldnt mind a head up on things.

·
Premium Member
2,954 Posts
there's nothing wrong with the motor, I've beat the sht outta my M8 this year & love it, the setup on the other hand needs work, weights are off & the compression secondary really could use to be returned to a torsional secondary, the rkt & sledjunky's kits work well (I use an RKT on my 8) cutler also just came out with what looks like a great secondary kit that will be even easier to adjust in the field, but it sounds like I'm going to be one of the first to run the thing, we'll see how it does in reality. As far as other performance goes, rkt has some new kits coming out this summer that will be adding about 20 horse, that should do the trick!

·
Registered
249 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kalebtimberlake @ Apr 19 2007, 09:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
there's nothing wrong with the motor, I've beat the sht outta my M8 this year & love it, the setup on the other hand needs work, weights are off & the compression secondary really could use to be returned to a torsional secondary, the rkt & sledjunky's kits work well (I use an RKT on my 8) cutler also just came out with what looks like a great secondary kit that will be even easier to adjust in the field, but it sounds like I'm going to be one of the first to run the thing, we'll see how it does in reality. As far as other performance goes, rkt has some new kits coming out this summer that will be adding about 20 horse, that should do the trick![/b]
Cutlers kit has been out since late fall. It's just taken them all winter to get it to come somewhat close to Sledjunky's kits. The one guy I've seen get it there spent all winter and close to $500 in extra clutching parts to do it.
He averaged 1 1/2 days per week tuning on his 1000 with his buddy that has the same sled to get it there.
These guys are both excellent tuners.

·
Premium Member
2,954 Posts
so, would you say it's not worth the $$?

I've got an RKT at the house, just looked like the cutler was easier to F with

·
Registered
53 Posts
M7 138 HP
M8 142 HP
Poo 7 140 HP
Doo 8 151+
Poo 8 154+-

Nthing wrong with the motor just under powered for current generation 8'S
Please Cat...give us 150+

·
Registered
249 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (iluv2fly @ Apr 25 2007, 12:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Put an RKT head and DD pipe on the M8 and it wakes it right up. More power than the Polaris or skidoo.[/b]
It does'nt matter how much HP you have if you can't get it to the ground.

When you have good tuners spending the kind of time and money that they are spending trying to get
the OVS/RKT/Cutler Torsion spring clutch kits to (somewhat) work in the mountains. No I don't think it's
worth it. Plus when all is said and done, you still need hard rollers on top of everything cause the stock ones
don't hold up.

·
Premium Member
2,954 Posts
so, what is the big difference in the sledjunky's kit? aside from the rollers

also, I find it interesting that when Kelsey talks about products he says who he is & I have yet to hear him downtalk the competition, the same goes for Dale (cutler) they're both more interested, not in saying the others don't work, but how theirs does work.

I'd like to hear what you have to say, but the way you start your "advertising" is a bit negative.
Also, I already have rollers & weights, so don't need either, but wonder how you feel yours works in comparison? I've ridden with guys with your kit, but never really disected it. What is the advantage in using a compression over torsion technology?

thanks,

Kaleb

·
Registered
197 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (M7? @ Apr 25 2007, 12:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
M7 138 HP
M8 142 HP
Poo 7 140 HP
Doo 8 151+
Poo 8 154+-

Please Cat...give us 150+[/b]
HP numbers are always impresive but torque is what you need to move. POO & DOO are getting there hp by increasing engine rpm bad thing imo. There are only so many up& downs in a piston less rpm = longer engine life & more torque. Here is the formula for torque HP MULTIPLIED BY 5252 DIVIDED BY RPM. I would love cat to get 150 from a 800 but not the way poo & doo did. My ridding buddy [29 years in the mountains together] has an 07 rev and he would gladly trade it for an 06.

·
Premium Member
2,954 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (mountain guy @ Apr 27 2007, 06:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (M7? @ Apr 25 2007, 12:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
M7 138 HP
M8 142 HP
Poo 7 140 HP
Doo 8 151+
Poo 8 154+-

Please Cat...give us 150+[/b]
HP numbers are always impresive but torque is what you need to move. POO & DOO are getting there hp by increasing engine rpm bad thing imo. There are only so many up& downs in a piston less rpm = longer engine life & more torque. Here is the formula for torque HP MULTIPLIED BY 5252 DIVIDED BY RPM. I would love cat to get 150 from a 800 but not the way poo & doo did. My ridding buddy [29 years in the mountains together] has an 07 rev and he would gladly trade it for an 06.
[/b][/quote]
My thoughts exactly, skidoo is a champ at paper selling a sled, I want real world power, not big numbers on paper. (I also want a sled that lasts & takes a beating like my M8, but that's a whole other topic)

btw, Ron, if that is who we're hearing from, I really am curious about the differences of your kit.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I agree Peak numbers only mean something on the lake running at WOT all day. Take a look at this polaris rmk 900 and this 900 king cat from 2006. If you only look at peak numbers its pretty even, but sno tek never talks about the killer low end advantage of the king cat look at 5500 rpms poo has 80.7 ft.lbs. of troque and 84.5 hp. and the cat has nearly a 12 ft lb of torque advantage at 92.3 and about 12 hp better at the same rpm. the Rmk doesnt start catching up till in the high 6000 rpm range.

Attachments

·
Registered
138 Posts
I bought the supertorquer clutch from heelclicker for my 06 M7. The thing is designed better than any of the current torsional spring conversions. My buddy put one on his sled and it performs awesome. Racinstation is going to set it up for me this next week. I also bought a custom neils power pipe and racinstation is going to port it and set everything up so I can't wait to see how it performs. I should be around 155-160hp with the custom pipe, porting, and RKT 15:1 head. Neils pipes look bad a$$. Check them out at neilspowerpipes.com

·
Registered
86 Posts
I don't want to Hi-jack anyones post by any means but i like where shuttlevalve is going with this!!! i think tourque is the true arm wrenching power that anyone feels.. you can say you have how many horse until you are blue in the face and it don't mean nothing until you have the feel in your arms...

I was wondering of the above sleds that were previously mentioned does anyone have the torque numbers on these... I seen the SLP tests on the 800 which look nice but it doesn't seem to be no torque monster... I seen that the peak torque is 103.00 @8000 RPM... that motor is screaming when it is like that and it doesn't really come alive at all until it reaches about 7500... Max HP is at 8200 @158.5hp....

I am sorry for stealing anyones thread but i am really looking for the Dyno tests on the other sleds mentioned so people can have a real feel of this...

Thanks again..

Apologize for the thread stealing....

:sledder:

·
Premium Member
2,954 Posts
hop on an M1000 & then back to a modded M7, comparable HP, but you'll understand what that torque does for a sled!!
I think this is the most underestimated factor in these machines.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I fully understand torque as I have done a lot of performance mods on diesel trucks. Yes you feel torque much more but I did not want to spend the extra 4-5k that I would of had to spend to buy the M1000 over my M7. I also like the lighter sled as I mostly boondock and this thing is much better than my last sled which was a 95 polaris storm. Lets face it, you can't go wrong with a M series sled no matter what you buy.

·
Registered
240 Posts
low end torque off trail seems just as important to me as the peak hp. getting off the line pulling a big track with out clutching to 5000 rpms is important unless your drag racing. My old zr800 efi 136 with a 1.5 inch lug geared down a bit wa clutched to take off at 3300 rpms silky smooth not much in a drag race clutched like that but it didnt dig a ditch taking off in the 3 feet of powder.

·
Registered
56 Posts
This will probably blow a few skirts up but the big low grunty torque of the M8 is what causes most the problems people are having tuning this sled. It is very hard to bog this motor down. The way I found it worked best with the stock motor was to load it very hard. Lots of weight in the primary with a pretty light spring. ( lots of squeeze up front and nice soft low engagement ) Then with the secondary take squeeze out to just before it slips in overdrive. This is the best for a drag race and best for a hill climb. I get some outragous track speed on the hill. It really doesnt care if it spins 7400 or 7650 it runs about the same. Spin it much over 7700 stick a fork in it its done. Everything is great but the hole shot it's almost impossible to keep from just blowing the track right out from under it. It just hits hard and spins even with a 3300 engagement. Then the top speed sucks it doesn't turn enough rpm for the gearing. I'm not bagging on my sled I have it running very good. All I'm saying it's a hard sled to tune and have the best of all worlds. Putting a pipe and Y pipe on it which hurts the bottom end and gives the peak a good boost makes it much easier to tune. There are xrs guys that are a few M1000 guys that are still wiping up the crocodile tears from the whoopin they got. 33 full days of testing (half of normal) I love my sled!

Cat Brat, nice pic in your avatar! Is that you?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts