Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I'd post a few before and after photos of my latest project. I bought this 2002 Mountain Cat 800 144" in January 2010 from a guy that, well let's just say he wasn't too hot on any kind of maintenance.

Here are a few of when I first bought the sled. You can see he was a sticker fiend. What is a little harder to see is that the hood was broken almost in two just behind the hinge, the bulkhead was cracked, there was no key, the kill switch, handwarmers and headlight didn't work, there were loose rivets on the tunnel, the silencer had rust holes in it, the pipe was cracked-welded poorly-rusted, etc., the seat and seat foam was torn.......you get the picture. But the darn thing ran like a top.

I went ahead and bought it and then because I wanted a 4 place enclosed trailer I sold my near perfect 2003 mountain cat 800EFI 151" which I found out tonight is now owned by new member Onlyinaxj90. I still regret that sale, but it prompted me to got the 2002 fixed up. I totally disassembled the entire sled except for the engine. I welded the cracks in the bulkhead. None had opened up yet so there wasn't any straightening to do on the bulkhead. I straightened a bend in the aft part of the tunnel, tightened or replaced the loose rivets. Plastic welded the hood, removed the stickers, polished it and made some new decals for the nickname the sled got from my riding buddies. Put a like new e-bay pipe and new front dump king cat silencer on. sandblasted the front a-arms and painted them. got some skis that were in better condition. Went through the rear skid. Put a 2" challenger track on it. Fixed the seat and seat foam and then made a custom seat. I made my own forward mount post like the CR Racing one. Made some pivot risers for it, polished the tunnel and fixed a plethora of stuff that is too numerous to mention. It came out pretty good. Not afraid to ride it now. The best part is I still have only $2k in it, not counting my time of course. I don't count my time because working on stuff is relaxing for me and my wife claims it is my sickness. Anyway, here is the almost finished product. I still am going to make some sno-eliminator type boards. Making them myself of course.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Definetely liking the seat, that's pretty cool. How much weight do you think cut if any by doing that? Been looking for different seat ideas for my sled, coming up empty handed so far

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The seat is definitely a lot lighter than the stock one, but I didn't weigh it so I can't give you a number. The tube frame is kind of obvious. The seat itself is a piece of 3/8" thick plywood with foam on top and a vinyl cover that is stapled to the plywood. The plywood also has four 1/4" tee nuts installed and there are 4 bolts that go through some cross bars in the tube frame into the tee nuts to hold the seat on. For the foam I used the rebond carpet padding stacked up and held together with spray adhesive. It is about the same stiffness as my buddies Boss seat on his Polaris. The cover is cold weather vinyl I got from Joann Fabrics that is only stitched on the corners. I used Firewire fishing line for the stitching so it wouldn't tear.

·
Registered
473 Posts
That's a good idea, might have to make something similar. I'm a stand up rider so I wanted to shed some weight since I won't be using the seat much anyway, plus I think the OEM seat on my sled is kind of ugly. Also I could use the extra room on the back for a gas can. Creative man you are, good work

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is that a stock gas tank and cover?
Yes. The cover I bought off e-bay. The tank i just cut the stock seat off and painted the exposed parts black with krylon fusion.

·
Registered
10,004 Posts
Ain't it fun play'n around makin' it your way? Wish you could call the factory and do that kinda stuff. Looks nice John!! Very nice job!! Atta boy!! Love the hood graphics too.

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ain't it fun play'n around makin' it your way? Wish you could call the factory and do that kinda stuff. Looks nice John!! Very nice job!! Atta boy!! Love the hood graphics too.
Yeah. My buddies were giving me crap about selling my 2003 mountain cat that was in really good shape and keeping the 2002 that was basically a piece of crap when I bought it. They nicknamed it the Mountain Rat as a result. I decided to embrace the nickname and made some vinyl decals with that nickname on it. I decided to try making the decals myself using outdoor vinyl stock run through my color laser printer. It is supposed to be for making bumper stickers at home. Came out pretty good. I'll see how they hold up. If they don't hold up I'll have the local graphics/sign shop print them up for me.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Nice seat. Let us know how it handles the bumpy trails. Just a thought; if you want storage space (that you'll end up attaching to the sled's weight anyway) a "bag" or something sewn onto the underside. Anyway, fine posting and pictures. Clap

·
Registered
3 Posts
same sled...looking to install riser

hey 109...I have the same sled and have been thinking about some mods that I would like to do. How much work was it to install the riser?
I definitely like that seat!!

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hey 109...I have the same sled and have been thinking about some mods that I would like to do. How much work was it to install the riser?
I definitely like that seat!!
If you are talking about moving the steering post forward, it is a fair amount of work and you can't do it with a stock post. You have to make or buy a post that has bends in it that allow it to clear the carbs. Then you have to modify the stock airbox, or buy a king cat airbox. The bent post can be purchased from user Wildchild on HCS forum, or from CR Racing (here is the link). I made my post and made it a T style post rather than the flat plate that is stock. To do this mod, you have to remove the belly pan and airbox, remove the old post, install the new post in its place and put it back together. On mine, I modified the airbox by cutting of the lower portion to the right of the post while leaving enough to still mount the APV servo. I then cut and riveted a piece of sheet metal to cover the gaping hole created by cutting the airbox.

If you are asking about the riser itself, they go on easy, but to go as high as I did you will need to extend the throttle cable, brake line, and wiring.

Another option is to install a pivot riser or an solid angled riser. a 30 degree solid riser get the bars forward enough, you just have to deal with the sweep of the bars the higher you go.

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I had the sled on a few trips this year and it did very well. There are still some things I would like to change/improve. I like this style chassis and will probably keep this sled for my son even after I upgrade for myself. As for the different mods on the sled now and future mods I'd like to do, here is what I have found so far.

The steering post mod is definitely a huge improvement if you ride standing up. The position of the bars was perfect for the riding I do and it felt very good. The post held up to a few body shots into them without bending, so it looks like the basic design is going to be OK. Nothing I would really change with this mod and it is one I would highly recommend. It's hard to describe just how big a deal this turned out to be compared to just a pivot or angled riser.

The seat worked great but is a little too firm. The height is just right to make sit down riding comforatable with the bar position. I will probably take off the top 2 inches of foam and replace it with softer foam before next season. It worked OK the way it was, but on washed out trails it was a bit too stiff. I had the vinyl I used and it was good cold weather vinyl but it is a bit slippery. If I were to buy vinyl I would buy the gripper stye vinyl for the top of the seat. I might do that too this off season. We'll see. Height and width wise it was nice. I may enclose the tube frame for storage as well. I kind of like the open look though.

One thing that definitely needs to be done is adding something to the running boards for grip and clearing the snow. They were constantly packed with snow and ice. Fortunately, the edge grips on these sleds are pretty good. If I kept my boot over the running board edge I could do OK, but I had to be careful on foot placement. I will probably have another go at making my own sno-eliminator type running board inserts but another option I may go with is making tube style running boards like the Skinz Air-frame running boards (picture attached). I'll have to see how ambitious I am this off season.

I also might do a factory style drop and roll of the chaincase like the 2003 and up have. Right now, without the drop and roll, the approach angle of the track makes this thing trench pretty bad. I had a 2003 1M and that one did much better and I'd like to help this one out in that area. I priced it out and it is a lot of work but less than $100 in parts to do it.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
as for the seat foam, could i just go to a flooring center and ask for some leftover stuff? any specs Ill need?

and how did you cut it?

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
as for the seat foam, could i just go to a flooring center and ask for some leftover stuff? any specs Ill need?

and how did you cut it?
That's actually what I did. The local carpet store had a scrap that they just gave me. If they don't outright give it to you I can't imagine them charging more than a couple dollars. I used the re-bond carpet padding. It is about 1/2" thick and is made from small bits of different types of rubber "re-bonded" together. This gives it a speckled appearance. I layered it using 3m spray adhesive

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
alrighty, and what type of material am I looking to use to cover it? any specific blends/ thicknesses/brands?

and how did you cut it so cleanly?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just curious about the seat. I'm trying to take mine off to modify it similar to yours. It seems the base is attached to the gas tank. How did you go about removing the seat. My sled is a 2001 600 m cat. I imagine the seat is ruined after you remove it?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts