Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son and I finished with the clutch kit . We followed the directions to the tee. (thank you whoever said that).There is a big difference in the ride. Thank you for all the suggestions and the encouragement. The bearings were right. I do have another question. My head gasket is leaking. The dealer said that is does not happen often. He told me that I could retorque the head. Does this make sence? And if it does, what is the torque?

slihl

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
Is this machine under warranty yet? If so, have them change the gasket outright. I would not settle for just retorquing the head.

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
Like Sanny said, if the machine is still under warranty I would be taking it back to the dealer for service! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
retorqueing is a option but like was mentioned if warrenty available take advantage of that, if not still might want to take off head to inspect, the gasket is leaking due to a couple of reasons or a combination:
head bolts loose
broken head gasket (or partial blown out)
warped head so not fitting right to gasket, case.

heads on a machine are torqued from the factory and if they start leaking i would definatly look into why it is not just try to re-tighten and hope for the best.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The machine is not under warrenty. Can the gasket be change at home? I might want to retorque and see what happens.The leak is not in one area. It seems to be along the front of the motor. I am not sure of the what to torque it at.

stihl

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
You can try retorquing the head, but personally I would remove the head, clean it and install a new one. Takes some time, but it's time well spent IMO. Then again, I'm kind of anal about stuff like that, so take my thoughts for what they are worth. :)

·
Premium Member
2,508 Posts
stihl sorry for jacking your thread but ive been thinking my head is leaking as well ive noticed a few times on the passenger side of my machine on the motor the is a black circle were the head is and ive noticed dirt sticking to this area more than others i keep wiping it but i cant tell if its oil or just crap from riding. is yours a big leak or small?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I went to the dealer and ask about what torque. I showed him were the leak is. He said it was not the head(sorry boys) .He told me it was the cap. It is the very top of the motor. I started to take out the screws , but put them back with the 8lb of torque he told me. He said I could take it off, clean it , put a light coat of gasket seal on it. All I did for know is retorqued it. Does this have anything to do with compression?

stihl

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
Are you talking about the head or the valve cover? If it's the head gasket it needs to be replaced, if its the valve cover it should be replaced or removed and replaced with silicone.

·
Registered
472 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rango726 @ Mar 27 2007, 12:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
stihl sorry for jacking your thread but ive been thinking my head is leaking as well ive noticed a few times on the passenger side of my machine on the motor the is a black circle were the head is and ive noticed dirt sticking to this area more than others i keep wiping it but i cant tell if its oil or just crap from riding. is yours a big leak or small?[/b]

Ditto, but it is such a trivial amount of oil, I have not given it much thought. One "easy cure" (I think) would be to go to a heavier oil. As this seems to (only?) happen with the 0w synthetic stuff. I think a 10-40 dino oil might/could solve this problem.

This is all speculation...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (breye @ Mar 28 2007, 11:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
It's a problem that a lot of 06 400's have. I have fixed two my self.
Here is link to others with same problem

http://www.arcticchat.com/forums/index.php...c=53691&hl=
http://www.arcticchat.com/forums/index.php...c=57177&hl=[/b]

I do use the 0 20 synthedic oil. I know that the bolts follow the head. Are the bolts in the middle need to come off too? There are 4 or 6 I can not remember. Would it be better mark the bolts, being they are different length?

stihl

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Saskabush @ Mar 28 2007, 03:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rango726 @ Mar 27 2007, 12:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
stihl sorry for jacking your thread but ive been thinking my head is leaking as well ive noticed a few times on the passenger side of my machine on the motor the is a black circle were the head is and ive noticed dirt sticking to this area more than others i keep wiping it but i cant tell if its oil or just crap from riding. is yours a big leak or small?[/b]

Ditto, but it is such a trivial amount of oil, I have not given it much thought. One "easy cure" (I think) would be to go to a heavier oil. As this seems to (only?) happen with the 0w synthetic stuff. I think a 10-40 dino oil might/could solve this problem.

[/b][/quote]

I put in a comment in the wrong area. Please read breye quote I sent him. sorry.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Saskabush @ Mar 28 2007, 03:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rango726 @ Mar 27 2007, 12:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

Does this take away any compression or horsepower?

stihl

·
Registered
472 Posts
^^^

Before you tear the top of the engine off, I would try some 10-40 dino (Arctic Cat sells a version). 0-20 oil is pretty thin and could be getting by you seals.

Using a "heavier" oil will not cause you any noticeable loss in power or compression. If fact (according to my owner's manual), A/C recommends it.

This could be an easy solution to your problem. Good luck...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I take it that a dino is a synthetic? Can I also use 10-30 synthetic? What is dino oil? I should clean the cover after I put in different oil to make sure it isn't anything else. What can I use to clean off the oil on the cover?

stihl

1 - 17 of 17 Posts