Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 2017 Textron Stampede, which came with all the bells and whistles. i.e. LED roof, LED bumper lights, Warn 4,500 Lb. winch. All the accessories were installed by the dealership!

I admit to knowing very little about the electrical system.

Now to my question/questions:

1. When I have “Just the roof LED light bar on (the light bar is either 40” or 42” wide) and am operating the winch connected to a snow plow, the “Battery Light” on the digital dash comes ON. In my mind this is an indicator of low Voltage or too much draw on the system. What is go on or perhaps not going on.

2. I am also considering having a heater installed by the local dealer. Can the system handle the draw needed to run the:
1. Heater, 2. LED light bar, 3. Operate the winch all at the same time.

I would appreciate some advice or schooling on this.

Thank you

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
The winch has by far the heaviest draw. I have a 5,000 pound winch on my Arctic Cat Diesel, LED'S and grip heaters. After an hour or so, the voltage will drop and LED's start to flicker. My solution is, stop plowing drive it until battery is fully charged. Mine has a small 45 amp alternator, don't know what the Stampede uses. I've thought about a bigger alternator, I already have a large Yellow Top battery. So, you can do like me, stop plowing until voltage comes back, maybe retrofit a bigger alternator(if you have a drive belt) fit a bigger deep cycle battery, or maybe a smaller winch, like a 2500 lb one. You dealer may be able to suggest.

·
Registered
4 Posts
there is always the option of adding another batt for more "electrical Storage" space so the draw is off the batt and not the alternator or stater. this is great if you have the room and the bigger the batt the more you can use the accessorys before the load is felt by the machine. if room is a big problem you can even use a slow release capacitor as a filler for the draw although ive never tried it on an atv i have used them with cb radios and car amplifiers so the principle is sound. i could run my cb and a small amp that pulled 20 amps off of a 2 amp power supply using a small 2.5 inch round 4 inch tall capacitor for example. not sure how big you would have to go or if it would be smaller than adding another batt to the system though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your input. I have been doing a lot of research, and I “Think” I know more than I did a week ago. My Textron has a: 1. Stator. 2. Voltage regulator/rectifier. 3. Battery.
It appears most of the folks are adding a second battery and an
“True Am Isolator”.
I have checked under driver seat, and I believe I have plenty of room for a second battery.
So, I guess the question is what type of battery.
I feel this needs to be done, as I do not or prefer not to get stranded, as I have a mobility issue. 52 years of my 75 years have been in a wheelchair.
I greatly appreciate your input.

·
Administrator
37,083 Posts
Just buy a micro starter and you will never be stranded. Fits in your pocket and will start a v8 engine multiple times.
https://goo.gl/images/RyLpr9

1 - 5 of 5 Posts