Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of installing a tether cord on my sled. After hitting an ice heave at wide open with the sled going about another 500 feet with me tumbling on the ground I think it is time to get one installed. Does a tether cord replace the key or hooked up to the key or what? Can it be done pretty easily at home? Whats involved in hooking one up? Anything else I need to know?

·
Premium Member
8,589 Posts
All my sleds have tethers and myself or the kids don't ride without them hooked up. Pretty much they go in line with your key switch so if they are pulled it kills the sled. And they only take a few minutes to install and well worth it.

·
Premium Member
8,741 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dadszr @ Feb 28 2007, 07:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
All my sleds have tethers and myself or the kids don't ride without them hooked up. Pretty much they go in line with your key switch so if they are pulled it kills the sled. And they only take a few minutes to install and well worth it.[/b]
DITTO,...all my stuff gets it too.before they leave the garage.

·
Premium Member
4,640 Posts
I won't ride without mine hooked up. Have had them on every sled I've owned since 1980 and I think they should come as standard equipment.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is it just a couple of wires to hook up? Thanks for all the help. I just thought that I should get one installed after my episode that included a sprained arm, broken vision on helmet, and a few nasty 3 inch long scratches on my helmet. Thank god for that thing!

·
Premium Member
4,640 Posts
I think they should list one as an option for your sled and it might just require a plug in connection. I think I have a electrical schematic for your sled. I'll find it and take a look.

·
Registered
738 Posts
What brands make a tether switch?

and can the tether be pulled out from any angle? i recall seeing one a few years ago and it was just a long plastic key that looked like if it was pulled out from the wrong angle it would snap.

·
Premium Member
8,589 Posts
If you Buy a Cat tether they are 2 wires nothing hard about installing them. And my last one I bought for an Open cir. was 24.95 well worth it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just purchased the Cat tether kit from alpha-sports. I'll be installing it this weekend. I looked over the instructions and it appears to be pretty simple. The kit comes with the necessary adapters to plug it inline with the key switch.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Panther500F @ Mar 2 2007, 10:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I got mine from shade tree powersports, all my sled's have them. Good deal at $18.99 Same as the AC one's only the rubber cap is red.

ARCTIC CAT '84-03 TETHER SWITCH ASSEMBLY[/b]
Thanks. So they don't replace the key? This picture from the link above looks like you just plug it in and go. I don't see a way a key would work.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,589 Posts
Don't worry they are very easy to install once you see how, Just two wires, You can do them in a few min. And yes you will still need your key.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks guys alot. Just ordered the one from shade tree! So if I understand it correctly I need to drill a hole by the ignition for the main tether body to fit into?

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Does anyone have any pictures of a tether switch mounted on a sled like mine? Thanks

·
Registered
795 Posts
I had a guy want me to install one for him, i actually took the ignition switch out and put it there as he no longer wanted the key, and a tether.

I personally would never have a tether on my sled, as I try to not have the engine die at inopportune moments causing me to crash.
But to each their own.

At any rate its a 10 minute job....if you adjust the track at the same time you may finish a whole beer while working on the sled. :beer_cheers:

·
Premium Member
8,589 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cat4ever @ Mar 2 2007, 11:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Does anyone have any pictures of a tether switch mounted on a sled like mine? Thanks[/b]

I can get you one tomarrow morning if that will work for you.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts