Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Run oil in your gas tank too. Cat recommends this on new motor breakins . My Motor man who has rebuilt hundreds of cats wants oil in the gas tank for the first 150 miles. I jack my oil punp from the get go , run oil in the gas for the first 100 miles & then keep the oil pump jacked for another hundred. Nice when I get past this as you can definitely notice when your oil mix is back to normal but I never fowled a plug during breakin.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya. Running a lot of oil in the first tank of gas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk FastCat123$&.6doozr9000

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I also did what you said . Adjusted the oil pump up a little . Going to run rich for sure.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well the test run only lasted about 2 miles out. Then herd a tump noise.

·
Registered
128 Posts
OUCH, Better than a motor though. Well if It was me, I'd replace both the lower and the upper shaft bearings ( 4) That way you have a history starting point on those. Bearings are like Pistons in my book, after you put 4K on them your dancing with the devil on this era of sleds.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ya , I will, you can only bench so far on things. Had skid out last year and there was no play in there but things happen.

·
Registered
10,029 Posts
Geez, you sure have your troubles. I have my share as well. You'll be a pro with these sleds when your done.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The crazy thing is I replaced that bearing when I had the heat exchanger welded in.how does a new bearing with no run time explode like that ? ? Trying to find the old bearing in my garage today . Usually when I put new parts on I engrave the date installed on it...

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
If that was a new bearing, then there must have been something out of alignment and binding the bearing. A new bearing should not blow up in a few miles if all is right. That is a crappy break in ride, for sure.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just putting the chain case and track back in tomorrow. Bought all new oem bearings. Notice the guy must of broke the tensioner arm off before. He welded a different one on and used the wrong bushing. Inside diameter is to big . Has aftermarket gearing and chain in there now. Wondering if by him screwing with the chain tensioner made this bearing blow.

·
Registered
10,029 Posts
I highly doubt that would cause the bearing to go. That is a good gear for that sled. They like to be grunted. What's the bottom gear? Hard to see.

·
Registered
10,029 Posts
I would keep those gears for sure!

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ya, I will try them out. Not a good winter here in IL this year.dont no if you can see where it was rubbing on both sides.

It bent both sides of the metal over. It’s hard to see in the pic. Can’t believe I didn’t catch that bad roller and lose fitting

bushin

·
Registered
10,029 Posts
When you get it back together, post a pic of the case with a straight on shot. Did you check the gear faces with a straight edge to see if they needed shimming? Looks like 15 wide chain and gears. Post a pic. As for the other roller, just buy a used one from eBay and toss that one. Looks to be tack welded and could break.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ya, I picked up a complete chain case with gears and chain the other day. Mine is cast sliver color . The one I picked up is 01 zr black chain case.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Going back tomorrow to finish things up. Had to buy two new chain tensioner bushings. Think not having a dual chain tensioner rollers and return spring , when coming up off uneven trail the chain tension got stuck in the chain or pushed something out of wack

·
Registered
10,029 Posts
I think you just had a bad bearing is all.

1 - 20 of 138 Posts