Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little over a week ago I posted about an 07 700 I'm having trouble with. I believe its a fuel issue and I'm wanting to try to do some work and see if I can't narrow it down this week (I'm really wanting to try the bike out). Here are my findings. The bike will start up with ether being sprayed or gas being dumped into the throttle body. My injector is spraying gas but I don't think its enough. I don't know that for sure but there is no other reason that makes sense for it to run when gas is poured in but not to run when the injector is spraying gas. Another thing I noticed is that while cranking the motor if I press the throttle at half throttle or more the injector quits spraying. This doesn't happen if you start the bike with the ether. It continues to spray at half or more throttle when started but not while starting. This may be normal I don't know.

I'm wanting to try to test the fuel pressure. I don't have a fuel pressure testing kit. I do have a regular compression tester kit for engine compression. Can this be used and whats the best way to go about it? If not I'll buy a fuel pressure kit.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I think you will need a fuel tester If I Was betting it is the O ring in the tank i went through the same thing woth an 07 700 I didnt have a tester it wasnt to bad to take the bake fenders off once I got the fuel pump loose I left it submerged looked in the tank while I turned the Ignition on and fuel sprayed everywhere when the pump came on but I didnt have time to go get a tester good luck

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
In my opinion a special fuel pressure gauge isn't necessary. A regular fuel pressure gauge usually has a 1 way check valve that holds peak pressure until you press a release button to release pressure back to zero. While this feature is the best for getting and holding peak pressure until you get a chance to read the gauge... it's not mandatory. If you have a compression tester with the peak pressure release button and a fitting that will connect to the injector outlet of the stock fuel line from the pump that should work...

If you have a fitting that connects to the injector hose then connects to a gauge via 1/8 or 1/4 NPT thread to mating threads on the gauge then ANY gauge that reads to at least 50 psi will work. With no check valve, you just need to visually catch peak pressure before the pump shuts off and bleeds pressure. If you do not have the fittings for a gauge that fits the hose end that normally fit an injector, Some Auto-parts may carry them. Compare to the injector end for sizing. You maybe be able to get a button release check valve also?????

In a pinch and a poor boy way of doing it.......

The fuel line fitting at the outlet on the top of the tank is a barbed connection. (hose clamp) you can take that loose and slip a piece of braided hose over that to a similar fitting on ANY gauge that reads to at least 50 PSI. That clamp at the tank may be a one-time-use clamp, if so you can cut it off and replace with a high quality SS worm drive clamp when finished.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
What o ring are we talking about? I pulled my fenders and all today so i could get to it. I actually have my pump pulled and ready to check out. I guess you were looking in from the fill cap to see it spraying?

I think my compression tester has a button to release pressure but I'll have to check i haven't used it in a while. My connectors are all threaded for spark plug holes so i don't have the connector that would connect to the end of the fuel line. I'll probably stop at a parts store today and see if they have one. I have a throttle body off a 700 grizzly laying around that hooks up the same way. I'll just bring it with me to double check.

Again i appreciate all the help.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
What o ring are we talking about? I pulled my fenders and all today so i could get to it. I actually have my pump pulled and ready to check out. I guess you were looking in from the fill cap to see it spraying?

I think my compression tester has a button to release pressure but I'll have to check i haven't used it in a while. My connectors are all threaded for spark plug holes so i don't have the connector that would connect to the end of the fuel line. I'll probably stop at a parts store today and see if they have one. I have a throttle body off a 700 grizzly laying around that hooks up the same way. I'll just bring it with me to double check.

Again i appreciate all the help.

There is a O-ring that separates the actual pump section of the entire fuel pump assembly from the body of the fuel pump assembly that often fails and leaks thus not allowing the pump to build pressure and volume. Normally the fuel pump assembly is Not serviceable and a dealer would want to sell you a new fuel pump assembly. However another user(s) figured out how to disassemble, repair and replace the o-ring with another from the hardware store. If you do have a bad pump there is a pump from a ford mustang that can be modified to fit. $90 verses $300

There have been pictures posted and a procedure written on how to disassemble and repair EFI fuel pumps somewhere in the forum. A search should find it unless someone posts a link to it's location. The injector on the cat is easy to remove, just one screw and it pulls out, Keep it clean and take it to the autoparts store to see if they have or can get you the fittings

I have yet to see a problem that has not been solved before, usually many times on this forum. Searching historical posts and threads usually finds a solution.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I appreciate all the help. I stopped at auto zone while I was out and they didn't have anything that would work for the fuel line. I'll probably try some other auto stores tomorrow. On the O ring does it have to be a certain kind or specific size? I have a pack of AC o rings I bought when I replaced a compressor on a car.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Maybe but I'm wrong but the fuel pump in the picture for that post you pulled up about the o ring replacement looks different from mine and the other one that is in the one you pullled up for the fuel pump replacement. Mine looks like the one in the fuel pump replacement. Mine is different from the one in the o-ring replacment? I don't even see the piece that he is changing on mine. Or am i just missing something?

Here are some pics. I was checking it out and I pulled the piece that has that clip in it and it looks bad. What is it and can i buy replacement parts or what? Could it be my problem?

I got this part out of the little hole you see in the first pic. Is this the regulator? I've checked the schematic and its not a part they have listed for replacement. You can see the top black piece is messed up and the bottom o ring is cracked also? Could this be my problem?

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Obviously your pump is different from the others in the link I posted. Guess you are on your own or do a search to see if some of the other posts are more applicable to your pump than the post I ran across in the pinned section

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I appreciate your help and the mustang fuel pump replacement is the same pump as the one I have. So in the event I have to replace it that will definitely help. I'm guessing the o ring replacement was probably on something a little newer. I'm hoping that the bad o rings on the part I have the pic of is my problem I guess I'm going to check some parts stores out and go to my local dealer and see if they have any info on it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.