Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How tempermental are the batteries on the cats. My wife and I have a pair of arctic cats and live in an area where we can't ride unless we trailer and travel :( The atv's are at a storage facility where I don't have access to power for battery tenders. I definately don't want to damage the batteries. How long can they sit without hurting the battery or becoming dead. 2months? 6 months? Can I go out and start the atv to recharge it or will that hurt the battery? If that's ok, how long should I let it run? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Any length of time is to long really. The cats use 1 to 3 percent of power a day depending on the battery you have. That said I learned that the hard way. If you let it sit 30 days at 1 percent loss then your battery is only at just above 60 percent. If you let it go farther then you have a real dead battery.

As stated above take it home...or at least unplug it. I leave on my work assignments for 3 to 4 months at a time and all I do is unhook the positive cable. When I get back I just hook it back up and its all good.

good luck

·
Registered
27 Posts
I killed a battery the winter before last at a cost of $120 bucks leaving untouched for about three months. Took a charger out to the shed the first time and saved it, but the second time it was dead beyond help. We didn't get any snow that winter here so I did not run it much at all if any.

I agree take your batteries out and bring them home. $240 dollars in batteries every year would suck. Idling will not help!

·
Administrator
40,662 Posts
Get a solar battery charger panel and mount it outside the storage room

·
Premium Member
1,277 Posts
Get a solar battery charger panel and mount it outside the storage room
I have the sunforce 1.8v solar panels, and it does not seem to hold well enough in the cold temperatures. Both my tractor,which is used for snowblowing, and my 550, which doesn't get used very often in winter, had troubles starting. I would definately get a bigger or different brand charger. I have four of them, since 2 went caputs. They have great customer service though, sent me 2 new ones, and I figured out what went wrong with the bad ones and I still use them.

·
Administrator
8,015 Posts
I'd just unhook the batteries and leave them in the quads. 30 days isn't going to hurt them as long as there isnt a draw on them. Re-setting the clock is the only down side.
In colder weather, or longer periods of non use, bring them home with ya.
These battery's are finicky, or I should say these efi quads are finicky with batteries that aren't 90% charged.
Having a quad die out on the trails because of a battery issue is not fun and avoidable.
If the quads are on a trailer in the storage area, could you rig up a twin cord to the back of the tow vehicle? There usually is a power supply on the back of most new trucks (blue wire) You could run it to both quads via the cig lighter outlet and plug it into your trucks rear plug. You'd be charging both batteries as you travel down the road to your riding area???
i've seen this done on trolling motor deep cycle batteries as the boat is being towed. gets charged to and from the lake.

·
Registered
251 Posts
+1 vote for just take them out and bring them home and hook them up to battery tenders at home.

There are two parts to this:
1. The machine does have a small amount of parasitic draw on the battery (the clock in the gauge) that will use power when the machine is sitting.

2. The battery itself, not really a matter of the brand or type of machine, but a function of the quality, age, and capacity of the battery. However, it doesn't matter if you have a cheap discount store battery or a top of the line dry cell, if you want to get the most life and performance out of the battery, proper care and maintenance of the battery is of utmost importance. Oh, and you can read for days online the information about proper care and maintenance and charging for various batteries.

·
Administrator
40,662 Posts
Install a battery isolator or cut off switch

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
That is not a good idea, the charging current of a vehicle is too much for the smaller batteries. It has been posted by several people if you have to jump start a quad with a vehicle to make sure the vehicle is off.

Mike

I'd just unhook the batteries and leave them in the quads. 30 days isn't going to hurt them as long as there isnt a draw on them. Re-setting the clock is the only down side.
In colder weather, or longer periods of non use, bring them home with ya.
These battery's are finicky, or I should say these efi quads are finicky with batteries that aren't 90% charged.
Having a quad die out on the trails because of a battery issue is not fun and avoidable.
If the quads are on a trailer in the storage area, could you rig up a twin cord to the back of the tow vehicle? There usually is a power supply on the back of most new trucks (blue wire) You could run it to both quads via the cig lighter outlet and plug it into your trucks rear plug. You'd be charging both batteries as you travel down the road to your riding area???
i've seen this done on trolling motor deep cycle batteries as the boat is being towed. gets charged to and from the lake.

·
Administrator
8,015 Posts
That is not a good idea, the charging current of a vehicle is too much for the smaller batteries. It has been posted by several people if you have to jump start a quad with a vehicle to make sure the vehicle is off.

Mike
actually it isnt a bad idea at all. just dont turn the quads key on while its traveling down the road being charged. The blue wire will put out 14 volts or so, just like the quads charging system. Or you could unhook the battery from the quad and wire it direct. isolate it totally. It doesnt throw a ton of amps at it, the wire is quite small compared to jumper cables. Plus he would be charging 2 batteries at the same time an add an inline fuse for protection.
But I agree with the jump start theory and not to have the vehicle running and trying to start the quad. It could cause some electrical spikes to the quads computer, which is a no-no.
when I had a pop up camper used for hunting in the middle of no-where we used to bring an extra car battery to run the lights/heater of the camper. during the afternoon we would put the battery in the back of the truck and run the blue wire along with a ground under the tail gate and go to town for beer and sitch. the battery would get charged as we drove down the road. It worked pretty good. the neighbor adapted the idea to his fishing boat. He said it was a huge time saver and his trolling motor always had a full charge.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thankfully, I was able to get both my atv's out yesterday and use them each for about an hour so they should have a good charge on them now. They had been sitting for about 60 days or so. :( Just need to save up for a couple battery tender jr.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts